Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Front coil air bags

Once again I am calling on the expierenced folks who have been at this longer than me. 2001 Daybreak 34 ft. workhorse chassis. The left air bag seems to hold air pretty good. The right one will go down overnight. We are leaving upstate NY for Florida in a few days. No chance to change the bag(s) before leaving. Should I:
Leave the one pumped up (???psi) and the other one with no air.
Leave the one at 20-30 psi.
Leave them both flat ? My guess this is best.

Right now it is 21* and snowing. I will change both bags in the spring.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Hate to tell you this but Ocala is going to be 32 in the morning,but no snow.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

My opinion would be to keep each side equal.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am having mine replaced this week. The right bag has a leak and both will be replaced. I have the P32 chassis on a 2005 Holiday Rambler that I recently purchased. I have also installed the Steer Safe and it does seem to help so I hope it will be even better with both air bags holding up the front end as they should.
kgpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do not fix the problem right away you stand a chance of destroying the tires. The airbags are responsible for maintaining the ride hight and geometry of the front suspension. There is also a chance of collapsing the springs. Could be very costly.
The minimum recommended pressure is 50 psi.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
As an alternative and after installing Henderson coils and being rid of the air bags forever, I couldn't imagine ever replacing the bags again and wondered what I was thinking the first time around. Even got rid of the 50# Hellwig cross leaf spring that National installed at the factory. The ride is much improved as well and even got rid of some squeaks in the process. Bags won't restore the proper ride height with a lot of fatigue in your present coils anyway. I used to run 90# and was barely in limits, as mine weren't all that bad.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift View Post
My opinion would be to keep each side equal.
This would be the best advice.

On the P chassis that I owned, I used inflate a tire one time when I was on a trip for one of the airbags until I got home and replaced the bags, worked like a charm.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
This would be the best advice.

On the P chassis that I owned, I used inflate a tire one time when I was on a trip for one of the airbags until I got home and replaced the bags, worked like a charm.
Wow....Cool idea. It has held about 40 psi for a couple of days now. I let the other one down to that. I expect when I start driving it, it will go flat again. As soon as we get in warmer weather I will use your idea. It was -5F here this AM.

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had one that leaked and used tire slime in it until able to replace. Had to replace ALL the tubing since the slime got into all of it.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
The more I think about it, these P chassis front air bags remind me of putting a band-aid on a wound that won't heal. Well known by the coach manufactures and saved them a ton of money without affecting sales in any way. Just wished I wouldn't have ever spent a nickle on them and could have had the new coils installed before doing two summertime US tours. We're planning another for this summer and this time I won't have to be constantly checking the pressure in these thingamajigs and hoping not to have a failure with them while traveling.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote