Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Front end alignment...San Antonio area

I'm on the shakedown run for this used Bounder I bought. Reno NV to San Antonio TX. No pressing issues so far but would like to address the squirrely steering while I have the time. I'll be in san Antonio for a few months and would like to get the front end aligned. Do I need a shop that is familiar with the WCC set up to set up the camber?

Has anyone had any work done to their WCC in the SA area that they would recommend?

Thanks

Jim58
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, I'd look for a good truck alignment shop.

Also, if you can, provide the alignment specs, especially camber.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning jim58,

I hope your drive as been uneventful.

As best I can determine you have a WCC W20 chassis. Below are the alignment specs for your the WCC W20 chassis. As you can see there are no adjustments for caster or camber. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Caster is adjusted by placing wedges between the spring and the axle. The axle must be bent in order to adjust camber. Camber has very little to do with wander in the steering. You probably don't want to bend your axle.

There are a lot of things that can affect steering. This thread has a pretty good discussion on steering issues on a Workhorse W chassis: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stee...is-369182.html. It might have everything you need to know to get good steering.

Before you adjust anything or add after market devices you should be sure that you have good shocks, none of the steering linkages are worn and you you don't have worn king pins. Once you are sure that you have a good solid steering system start on other things like alignment and aftermarket devices.

My 2003 W20 Workhorse drives very well and the only after market device I have are front Sumosprings. IMHO they didn't do much!

You will want to find a truck alignment shop. San Antonio will have several.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alignment specs.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	279738  
Old 03-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #4

I had some work done at the Iron Horse RV Center great people won't charge you for things that you don't need very honest nice people and they have a yard in back where you can stay for free while you wait for your RV to get fixed if they can't get to it the same day
Old 03-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

A SafeTPlus steering stabilizer and a bunch of caster will make it steer much better. Try to get as much caster as they can. 5+ degrees if possible.
You can call Brazel's in Oregon and get their alignment recommendations. I did.
I had horrible steering before I did this. So much so I thought everything was worn out in my steering gear. Turns out nothing was worn out except my shocks (now Konis).
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
A SafeTPlus steering stabilizer and a bunch of caster will make it steer much better. Try to get as much caster as they can. 5+ degrees if possible.
I had horrible steering before I did this. So much so I thought everything was worn out in my steering gear. Turns out nothing was worn out except my shocks (now Konis).
I agree. Add caster.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-rector View Post
I had some work done at the Iron Horse RV Center great people won't charge you for things that you don't need very honest nice people and they have a yard in back where you can stay for free while you wait for your RV to get fixed if they can't get to it the same day

I have talked to them and plan on having them hook up the SealTech after I finish going over my caulk job.

I will have them inspect suspension and steering parts while it's there.

Jim58
Old 04-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

I have 38000 miles on the Bilsteins but the bushing are toast. I sure would like to find out if the bushings can be replaced and save the expense of new Koni's for a year or two.

Jim58
Old 04-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
I have 38000 miles on the Bilsteins but the bushing are toast. I sure would like to find out if the bushings can be replaced and save the expense of new Koni's for a year or two.

Jim58
Here are the part # for the bushings for the rear shocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15867170038271803535073.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	281302  

Tags
alignment