Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #1

I hear a high pitch squeeking/squeeling noise that appears to be coming from the front end(I hear it right below me as I stick my head out of the drivers window). It sounds like squeeky brakes but it is higher pitched and does not go away when I hit the brakes. It is speed related as it starts around 20mph(not rpm related). It comes and goes as I go up and down over bumps(gone at the top of the wave). It also goes away in left hand turns and gets a little louder in right hand turns. The brake pads have plenty of meat left on them(I can still see the notch in the pad). I also repacked the outside wheel bearings. I made an appointment at my local Winnebago dealer but it is not for 4 weeks and I want to go camping in 3 weeks.

How does the ABS sensor make contact with the wheel hub??

Any suggestions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #2

I hear a high pitch squeeking/squeeling noise that appears to be coming from the front end(I hear it right below me as I stick my head out of the drivers window). It sounds like squeeky brakes but it is higher pitched and does not go away when I hit the brakes. It is speed related as it starts around 20mph(not rpm related). It comes and goes as I go up and down over bumps(gone at the top of the wave). It also goes away in left hand turns and gets a little louder in right hand turns. The brake pads have plenty of meat left on them(I can still see the notch in the pad). I also repacked the outside wheel bearings. I made an appointment at my local Winnebago dealer but it is not for 4 weeks and I want to go camping in 3 weeks.

How does the ABS sensor make contact with the wheel hub??

Any suggestions??
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, I know this sounds flaky, but remove and reinstall the fake wheel covers. If the noise changes pitch, cut-out felt washers for the mount studs and reinstall the wheel covers.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #4

Fred and Bonnie
You were right. I took off the wheel covers and took it for a spin and there was no noise. Thank you very much. It was driving me crazy.

Where exactly do you place the felt...on the back of the wheel covers between the cover and the rim or around the stud between the stud and the cover or on the back of the cover nut???

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
.... or around the stud between the stud and the cover or on the back of the cover nut??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can you need to isolate the outer hub cap from the inner hub cap if you have a 2 piece unit like mine. My dealer installed a rubber gasket type of device in between the two and since then all is quiet.

Previously it sounded like a one-man band.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, my fix was similiar to DriVer's, I cut-out felt washers and placed them under the wheel covers on the mount studs.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote