RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Front Hub Seal

I just replaced front calipers on w22 workhorse and had a leaking inner hub seal. I got a new seal- SKF 28759 which did not come with a wear sleeve (is this a one piece seal and does not need a wear sleeve). Should i remove the wear ring on the spindle or install the seal over it . Does the Stimco 308-0866 seal come with the wear sleeve.

TIM WHELAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM WHELAN View Post
I just replaced front calipers on w22 workhorse and had a leaking inner hub seal. I got a new seal- SKF 28759 which did not come with a wear sleeve (is this a one piece seal and does not need a wear sleeve). Should i remove the wear ring on the spindle or install the seal over it . Does the Stimco 308-0866 seal come with the wear sleeve.
A picture of what you have might be helpful. If you take the new seal and without it in the hub it should slide onto the spindle with some but not a lot of resistance.
I am wondering if at sometime there was a seal/bearing failure and a sleeve was installed on the spindle to correct the damage. (Redi-Sleeve) or other.
If you do install the seal and hub apply a small amount of W B grease to the lip of the seal so it doesn't run dry and burn the rubber.
Lynn

Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

What year is your W-22 chassis?
Lynn
Old 03-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
US1

More than like the sleeve was installed to repair a pitted or grooved seal surface. I'd leave it on.

Had installed sleeves on a tri axle boat trailer and there was no differential from a sleeved or non sleeve application.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

from what i found out the wear sleeve is what was used on the 2004 seal and is still used on the stemco inner seal 308-0866. i thinking of returning the SKF 28795 and using the stemco
Old 03-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

but SKF says the CR scotseal plus XL gets installed in the hub but stemco says to install seal on spindle and press it in with the spindle nut ran in to 200 torque lbs and back it out to 50 lbs and back off 1/4 turn
Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM WHELAN View Post
from what i found out the wear sleeve is what was used on the 2004 seal and is still used on the stemco inner seal 308-0866. i thinking of returning the SKF 28795 and using the stemco
You are correct, I would leave the wear sleeve on there and get a new stemco seal and put that on. If you take the wear sleeve off, according to stemco, you need a special tool to put the new one on. But Kevin in the below video made his own driver, but if its in good shape i would just use the old one.

Here are the directions from stemco.

If you go to 38.50 in the video, Kevin, a member here, replaced all his seals.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf STEMCO.GHP.InstallationInstructions.pdf (287.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #8
US1

When I installed the sleeves on the boat trailer, we got 1 a little canted and it buckled on us while driving it on. They only have a .01 or so wall thickness. Being a tool maker, I made a sleeve driver and used it. The instructions to use the castle nut make it seem as a walk in the park procedure to install. Not for us it wasnt. So I agree, if its in good shape, leave it be.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #9

If you replace the wear ring remember to use #2 permatex between wear ring and spindle
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #10

The only issue with the Stemco is if the leak is between the wear ring and the hub itself. Then it needs to be replaced. I would contact Stemco directly and speak with them.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal