Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Have a question about ride eighth. I have a 2004 Dolphin 5342 on a W-22 chassis. I had the vehicle weighed with the following results; l/f 3800, r/f 3750....l/r 6780, r/r 6420. Those numbers represent fully loaded, gas, propane, water, driver& passenger. The only difference is we travel with about ¼ tank of fresh water, so that should reduce the left rear (l/r) by about 300#s. The only modification we have made to the chassis is to replace the shocks with Brillstein's all the way around. The tire pressure is set at 80# all the way around. The tires are Michelin 235R80-22.5. So my question is; are the front springs suppose to be touching the imitation air bags while on level ground? By the way the springs also touched the air bags with the old factory shocks. The reason I˜m asking is our ride is fairly harsh with only minor pot holes. With each seam in the pavement or pot hole we drive over the shock seems to be transferred up to the body quite harshly. I would think that there should be an air gap between the springs and air bag so the spring can absorb the shock from small irregularities in the road. With the springs touching the air bags all the travel of the spring is immediately transferred to the frame and body. By the way, I also tried lowering the air pressure to 75#s with no real difference. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Have a question about ride eighth. I have a 2004 Dolphin 5342 on a W-22 chassis. I had the vehicle weighed with the following results; l/f 3800, r/f 3750....l/r 6780, r/r 6420. Those numbers represent fully loaded, gas, propane, water, driver& passenger. The only difference is we travel with about ¼ tank of fresh water, so that should reduce the left rear (l/r) by about 300#s. The only modification we have made to the chassis is to replace the shocks with Brillstein's all the way around. The tire pressure is set at 80# all the way around. The tires are Michelin 235R80-22.5. So my question is; are the front springs suppose to be touching the imitation air bags while on level ground? By the way the springs also touched the air bags with the old factory shocks. The reason I˜m asking is our ride is fairly harsh with only minor pot holes. With each seam in the pavement or pot hole we drive over the shock seems to be transferred up to the body quite harshly. I would think that there should be an air gap between the springs and air bag so the spring can absorb the shock from small irregularities in the road. With the springs touching the air bags all the travel of the spring is immediately transferred to the frame and body. By the way, I also tried lowering the air pressure to 75#s with no real difference. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Excuss me.... ride heighth
Old 06-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #4

We have the same chassis as you do...and we are much more loaded, almost to the GVWR....We keep 95 lbs in the front, 90 in the rear tires. Sounds like you need to add air to your front tires by the way....

Our arched springs come within an inch of touching the spring stops when parked.

The shock thing.....get rid of the Bilsteens and replace them with Koni FSD shocks...that is what we did, and we threw the (virtually new) Bilsteens in the trash. You will rid yourself of that "harsh" ride due to the dampening rate of the Koni's. Check out the many rave reviews about the Konis on this forum.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So my question is; are the front springs suppose to be touching the imitation air bags while on level ground? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
YES, the yellow "like-air" aux. spring is there to "slow and control the deflection of the main spring".

And, FWIW, I think you need to increase your tire pressure to at least 90 psi in the front and 95 in the rear. Also, "everybody" that has switched to the Koni FSD shocks raves about the ride. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgian: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Steve, My ancestry extends back to Belgium.

Continuing, "I think you need to increase your tire pressure to at least 95 psi in the front and 90 in the rear. Also, "everybody" that has switched to the Koni FSD shocks raves about the ride." Quoting my esteemed dyslexic colleague.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #7

My Dolphin 6342 uses 235/80R22.5 tires. According to the Michelin Load Inflation Table, with the front weight at 6840, (3420 ea.) they should be inflated to 70 psi. I was going to give them an extra 5psi.
My rear at 13490 (6745 ea) should have 75-80 psi

I don't understand adding much more air than required, ie: 95 front and 90 rear.

Why not use the Michelin chart + a 'little' extra rather than a 'lot' extra.

Richard
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard F.:
I don't understand adding much more air than required, ie: 95 front and 90 rear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Richard, Try it it may make a difference.

I would however not like to see you back down to any less than 90F and 85R.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #9

Thanks, Driver,
I'll try it as the trip from AZ to Ga seemed to handle differently (front loose). I had new tires installed shortly before the trip and CW put 80psi front and rear. We'll be leaving Thursday for the return trip and I will raise the pressure as you suggested before leaving. I can always let a little out if it handles worse!!!

Richard
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #10

Nobody addressed the OP comment about his springs touching the fake airbag when parked. FrontRangeRVer said his is an inch away. Tire air pressure isn't going to change that. Is there a problem with the springs in contact with the airbag when parked??

just wonderin'
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine seem to be just about touching also parked on a level pad. same model MH.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same setup as FrontRangeRVer and I followed his advice with both the tire pressure and changing out the shocks to Koni shocks (I had Billsteins before with less the 7500). The results were like night and day. The harshness was gone and it handled very well (handling was fine before). I think if it is the harshness that you are concerned about I think you will correct that with the change of shocks.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #13

This might be the dumbest question of the month, but is swapping out the shocks to the KONI's a simple task? or is it more than likely a service center job?
And what are the model names on these shocks?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig G:
This might be the dumbest question of the month, but is swapping out the shocks to the KONI's a simple task? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's not simple but it's not rocket science either.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And what are the model names on these shocks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
KONI FSD
Workhorse - W20 W22 W24 04-06 (07)
FRONT: 8805-1001
REAR: 8805-1002

For more information:
KONI North America - RV Divison
1961 International Way "¢ Hebron "¢ KY "¢ 41048
Telephone: (866) 566-4175 "¢ Fax: (859) 334-3340

Ask for Justin and let him know you got the information form iRV2.com.