Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #1

This is my first post and I would like to start by saying this is a great forum. I have spent many hours reviewing the material compiled and have made several modifications to my MH as a result.

I own a 2004 (03 workhorse chassis) Newmar Kountry Star Model 3778. I have been generally very happy with the handling (once the original front shocks were replaced) but in search for perfection plus the fact that my Monroe's had almost 15000 miles on them I decided to make the following upgrades in May of this year:
"¢ 4 KONI FSD shocks
"¢ Henderson Rear Trac Bar
"¢ 2.5"¯ Front Stabilizer Bar
"¢ Switched to the Transynd Synthetic transmission fluid
"¢ Switched to Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Synthetic for the engine with a K&N Performance Gold 3002 oil filter (1 quart) which allows for a full 7 quarts of oil when refilling.

I currently have 14800 miles on my MH. All modifications have been a positive experience. I like the improved ride with the Koni's and I think the Henderson and 2.5"¯ bar have also made a big difference. I can easily drive with one hand on the wheel when a Tractor Trailer passes me.

Prior to the modifications listed above, I had the same issues that many others have experienced. My original front shocks were replaced with Monroe's, Wipers would not shut off when it rained (fix was applying silicon to the wiper motor connections), and added a plastic cone to the air intake which fixed my engine misfiring in the rain.

Whew! I know that was a bit long winded but I wanted to share my upgrades before discussing my reason for this post. OK here goes: I'm wondering if adding a front Trac bar will fix an annoying problem that sometimes occurs when a tractor trailer passes and then moves back to right lane. I sometimes experience what feels like the front end is being lifted (although it really isn't) from the draft of the truck. I have no problem with control and can easily use one hand but I feel a flutter both in the wheel and the cab. I'm wondering if others have had this same experience and if there is a fix or not. Not a big problem but again perfection would be nice! Thanks in advance for any help.

4 KONI's/Henderson Rear Trac Bar/2.5" Stabilizer bar
VTBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #2

This is my first post and I would like to start by saying this is a great forum. I have spent many hours reviewing the material compiled and have made several modifications to my MH as a result.

I own a 2004 (03 workhorse chassis) Newmar Kountry Star Model 3778. I have been generally very happy with the handling (once the original front shocks were replaced) but in search for perfection plus the fact that my Monroe's had almost 15000 miles on them I decided to make the following upgrades in May of this year:
"¢ 4 KONI FSD shocks
"¢ Henderson Rear Trac Bar
"¢ 2.5"¯ Front Stabilizer Bar
"¢ Switched to the Transynd Synthetic transmission fluid
"¢ Switched to Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Synthetic for the engine with a K&N Performance Gold 3002 oil filter (1 quart) which allows for a full 7 quarts of oil when refilling.

I currently have 14800 miles on my MH. All modifications have been a positive experience. I like the improved ride with the Koni's and I think the Henderson and 2.5"¯ bar have also made a big difference. I can easily drive with one hand on the wheel when a Tractor Trailer passes me.

Prior to the modifications listed above, I had the same issues that many others have experienced. My original front shocks were replaced with Monroe's, Wipers would not shut off when it rained (fix was applying silicon to the wiper motor connections), and added a plastic cone to the air intake which fixed my engine misfiring in the rain.

Whew! I know that was a bit long winded but I wanted to share my upgrades before discussing my reason for this post. OK here goes: I'm wondering if adding a front Trac bar will fix an annoying problem that sometimes occurs when a tractor trailer passes and then moves back to right lane. I sometimes experience what feels like the front end is being lifted (although it really isn't) from the draft of the truck. I have no problem with control and can easily use one hand but I feel a flutter both in the wheel and the cab. I'm wondering if others have had this same experience and if there is a fix or not. Not a big problem but again perfection would be nice! Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if it will help but let me say this:

In 2006 I drove the rig to Las Vegas (My daughter lives/works there) and let me tell you, it was a relief to park the MH and drive the towed around Vegas. Came home put a steering stabilizer and a front track bar on.

In 2007 I drove it to vegas again and let me tell you when I parked it and got in the very same towed.. BOY was that car hard to drive.

Same car (Same motor home) What changed?

(Trac bar/stabilizer of course)

And yes, it does seem to want to dance in the wind a bit when drafting a semi... Less now than before but I still notice it, It's not lifting you.. It's pulling you
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I am running the vary same basic box you have. I orginally did a DIY trac bar and it fixed about 90% of my problems. But, still had a little push movement in the front. Next I added Steer Safe only because I got it used. That fixed some of the steering correction I was doing.

The solution came after I was offered deal I could not refuse, become a Brazels dealer. I am a firm believer in that I will not sell anything I don't personally test and/or use. To that end I removed my DIY rear trac bar and added the Ultra Trac rear bar. I also added the Ultra Trac front bar. For me the front bar fixed the last steering correction and 18 wheeler push. I am no longer fatigued after 6 or more hours in the seat. But, we still try to hold it under 6.

Go for it...
Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
For me the front bar fixed the last steering correction and 18 wheeler push. I am no longer fatigued after 6 or more hours in the seat. But, we still try to hold it under 6.

Go for it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can echo this statement exactly but when I did my suspension upgrades I used Henderson and Davis stuff and a Safe-T-Plus ILO the Steer-Safe. (Mike B actually sold me my stuff while he was working at Henderson's) IMO Steer-Safe just doesn't do it for me. STP is a much better piece of equipment - it also costs more as well.

Front UltraTrack and STP best combo I believe bar none. In my experience the combo removes the see sawing of the steering wheel when I was negotiating Interstate curves and downgrades at speed.

My motorhome holds the road and is more comfortable to drive than at any other time in it's history and it's been that way for about a year now after getting the FSDs.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm considering the Ultra-Trac for the rear bar when I get round to it (It is currently leading the choice list just so Mike (and you) know)

I agree with your policy of not selling stuff you don't believe in.

On my last trip out west we had one day where it got a bit colder than was expected (like 25 degrees colder) and there were some other issues so I hit the road about 3am, did not stop till around 5-6 pm save for lunch and fuel. I'm the only driver and I did not feel over tired in the least (Though I do admit to sleeping late the next morning,,,, In Salt Lake City)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have added the same upgrades you have VTBob, with the addition of a Davis TruTrac bar in the front and a ipd (Roadmaster) antisway bar in the rear. Switched to Transynd trany fluid also. The addition of a front trac bar and antisway bar will make a difference in handling as will.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the irv2 forums VTBob
Thanks for your first post.
You have gotten some good answers from the top of the house.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.

Being a Nor'Easter you should join us at one of our rallies have one this fall up near you.

Come over to the Newmar forum and I'll give you some KARMA.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I'm going for the Ultra Trac front bar. I'll keep you posted once it arrives and I get it installed.

007 - I would love to join a rally - where and when is the next rally in the Northeast?

Old 06-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #10

I forgot - Where is the best place to order the Ultra Trac? .. from Brazel's?

Thanks, VTBob

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fall rally
Its the long weekend in Oct. Call sites going fast. Check out Nor' Easters down bottom of forums.
Brazels have nice shiney red bars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #12

007 - The wife and I are planning to be in Myrtle Beach the first 2 weeks of Oct. Keep me posted for the next one. Also, now that I know where the North East Forum is located I'll check in.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTBob:
The wife and I are planning to be in Myrtle Beach the first 2 weeks of Oct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Consider if you will that the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club is rallying in Urbana, VA at the Bethpage Camp Resort. Subsequent to that 3 of us are coming down to Myrtle Beach, most likely Ocean Lakes for the week after.

The WCMC Rally is from the 1st to the 6th of October. In Urbana you'll have a great time because Workhorse puts on a good rally for their owners. There'll be seminars from factory reps and there'll be plenty to do in that area. One event that I don't want to miss will be a day trip to Williamsburg.

After the WCMC Rally we'll be bee lining it down to the beach for a week with 2 other couples. We may even run in the Depchief down here and who knows how many other folks are going to want to come down here. There isn't any problem getting a site at Ocean Lakes in October. The snow birds are starting to move but there are lots of sites and at that time of the year including reduced rates.

October is very nice here on the beach, unless we get a Hurricane.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #14

Driver - I'll keep that in mind. I have never stopped at Urbana, VA. We love Mytrle Beach in Oct and usually stay at Myrtle Beach Travel Park in N. Myrtle Beach on Kings Road.

We really like the Myrtle Beach Travel Park but I may be able to convince the wife to try Ocean Lakes.

Where can I read more about the WCMC Rally?