Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #1

my fuel & temp gauge turn on/off intermittantly. Low fuel warnings also sound off. I found an old post where "oo7" had found a service bulletin sent out to WH dealers with software to reprogram the IP. Top 100 dealers were mentioned. I called my WH dealer (only one in No. Cal.) and they are not aware of this problem??? Does anyone have a service bulletin number or some other refeance I can give the dealer? I also have a call into WH tech dept. Thanks in advance.

Jim
whrami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

my fuel & temp gauge turn on/off intermittantly. Low fuel warnings also sound off. I found an old post where "oo7" had found a service bulletin sent out to WH dealers with software to reprogram the IP. Top 100 dealers were mentioned. I called my WH dealer (only one in No. Cal.) and they are not aware of this problem??? Does anyone have a service bulletin number or some other refeance I can give the dealer? I also have a call into WH tech dept. Thanks in advance.

Jim
whrami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I called my WH dealer (only one in No. Cal.) and they are not aware of this problem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in N. CA are you? Have you tried Lodi Truck & RV Service in Acampo (1 mile north of Lodi)? They are a Workhorse service center and their phone number is (209) 369-1431.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whrami:
I found an old post where "oo7" had found a service bulletin sent out to WH dealers with software to reprogram the IP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, First off thanks for taking the first post plunge.

Regarding the IP reprogram - that campaign was a flash that addressed a communication glitch between the digital IP and the Bosch Hydro-Max brake pressure sensor. The problem presents as lighting the brake warning lamp when there isn't anything wrong with the system.

It was like the brake sensor was speaking a different language. Once they got the code so the sender was being properly interpreted by the IP all was well again.

The intermittent fuel gauge and low fuel alarm is anomalous and to the best of my knowledge it's a problem that occurs arbitrarily and does not usually present in the same manner.

I have to admit that it happened to me twice today and I can only surmise that the road, load, speed etc. conditions had a lot to do with it pulling through the Appalachian Mountains on my way to Brooksville, OH from out of Wythville, VA.

The event was brief and all is well as there wasn't and residual effects from the reset. For the average person this could be worrisome however once you've experienced the event it's not drastic enough to be over concerned with. Both WCC and Actia are aware of this problem.

If the situation repetitively continues to occur I would suggest that you have it evaluated by a service center. Some owners have expressed success when they had the IP exchanged while others have had their fuel gauge sender replaced in the fuel tank.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It happened to me once and only once. I was on my way to the WCC svc cntr for an appt for other things. I thought that it was good to be happening now so they could fix that too.
I left the engine running when I got there so they could see the temp and fuel gauge completely off the chart in 'no man's land'. The svc writer saw it and acknowledged something was definitly wrong.
A couple/few hrs later they said it was done and when I asked about the eratic gauges, he said that when they turned it off and later started it again they worked normal so I guess they thought they just fixed themselves.
It does seem that since they saw them they'd care enough to know something is not right , but they did'nt.
It was super cold that morning, near or below zero, and that was about a year ago and it has'nt happened since, so who knows.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I keep adding the miles have had no problems with IP sys in my 02 chassie build and have not seen the fuel gage drop alarm to 0 in a couple of years.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's happened to me 3 times in 3 1/2 years and 30,000 miles. The last time was after the IP was replaced with one of the newer amber backlight ones.

Best guess is that it's due to a voltage transient of undetermined orgin causing a reset of the IP.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Rit

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem with my fuel and temp gages working intermittently on my 05 Voyage. Never knew if they would work or not after each start up. Suffered with this for almost a year, then they changed the dash cluster. No problems since.
Rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had the low fuel buzzer go off today twice in 20 minutes while driving on a city street about 35MPH.
No problem the rest of the way home.
I had my IP replaced already. This is the first time I have had any problems since the repair.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
In my experience, I haven't observed a reset with a full fuel tank.

Just an observation .......
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the gage reset thing happening More often then reported above since day one. Actually occured on the test drive before purchase but I was not quick enough to notice anything more then the chimes and the gage movement back to full.
I have had 3 replacement IPs done and now have the orange backlited one since last summer.

Still have the gage reset thing happening as often as before.

Has happened at least one time that I can recall after a fill up and just as I exited the station
Old 06-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a communication glitch in buss to Actia ---
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's too bad that WH has so many unique problems that I have never heard of on any other vehicles.
Like, eratic gauges, unreadable odometers, parking brakes locking up by them selves, false limp mode when nothing is wrong, burnt plug wires, ignition switches going bad.
Just think how much more we could like our WH's if they got rid of most of these problems. And they could. Get rid of Actia, autopark, change the parameters for the computer that tells it to limp to the shoulder. I don't know what the deal is with the burnt plug wires. I never heard of burnt plug wires on the 8.1 in a boat and they certainly don't get much ventilation.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
It's too bad that WH has so many unique problems that I have never heard of on any other vehicles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Perhaps you don't read any of the other forums here. They all have their own unique problems.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Like, erratic gauges, unreadable odometers, parking brakes locking up by them selves, false limp mode when nothing is wrong, burnt plug wires, ignition switches going bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>All of these items that you are retching about have been adequately addressed by me and other members. False limp mode? Where do you come up with this stuff? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
And they could. Get rid of Actia, autopark, change the parameters for the computer that tells it to limp to the shoulder. I don't know what the deal is with the burnt plug wires. I never heard of burnt plug wires on the 8.1 in a boat and they certainly don't get much ventilation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, A Boat ingests massive amounts of cold water through its exhaust manifolds. I'm not altogether familiar with marine installations BUT most likely it's very difficult to keep an 8.1 in a Marine configuration hot enough to activate a catalytic converter which it doesn't have.

We spoke several times about all these issues which you keep regurgitating and I know if you were to review the answers that have been previously offered you would be able to put these concerns in perspective. I do know one thing I can share with you in order to assuage your concerns going forward. Workhorse is improving the entire product line and I have witnessed this in person here in Union City. Perhaps you need to come here and look for yourself.