Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
akpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 234
Fuel filter

I need to take some wrenches with me to change the fuel filter on my 2003 workhorse that's in storage, does anyone know what size wrenches I'll need ?
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Pillbox's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Posts: 420
A good strap wrench, that works for my fuel,oil, air dryer.
amazon
Otc 7206 strap wrench

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
2017 Thor Four Winds 35SD
2020 Trailhawk toad
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 27,558
OK the question has to be ; Have you changed the filter before ?

Because the original filter , is no longer available , and the new replacement , requires a fitting to hook up the fuel return line .
First photo is the filter location .
Second the replacement filter and fitting required.

It's been 11 years since, I changed the filter on my B-in-L's 05 Workhorse ... so I won't offer a guess as to the wrenches involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workhose fuel filter location.png
Views:	36
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	279923  
Attached Images
 
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Oemtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jarrell, TX 76537
Posts: 4,499
Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
2003 you may not need the adapter.
__________________
Dale
AKA - Oemy
Oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
akpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 234
That is correct as my return line continues to the front of my MH.
__________________
2004 Monaco Lapalma PDT W-22, 8.1

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 667
Tools you will need for fuel filter change.two-1/2" open end wrenches,one 13/16"(21mm) open end wrench,one 5/8'open end or (flare end wrench preferred), one 1/2' socket,one short extension(I use a short "wobble" extension) and 3/8" ratchet handle. Fluid Film,a rag.flashlight and an old cushion to support your head (you will soon see the point in that). Early on,I replaced the securing hardware with stainless which makes the job easier. The rag is to catch the small squirt of pressurized fuel as you crack the fittings. When you have finished,you should apply the Fluid Film to everything that you had to loosen so it might go easier the next time!
__________________
04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
akpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
Tools you will need for fuel filter change.two-1/2" open end wrenches,one 13/16"(21mm) open end wrench,one 5/8'open end or (flare end wrench preferred), one 1/2' socket,one short extension(I use a short "wobble" extension) and 3/8" ratchet handle. Fluid Film,a rag.flashlight and an old cushion to support your head (you will soon see the point in that). Early on,I replaced the securing hardware with stainless which makes the job easier. The rag is to catch the small squirt of pressurized fuel as you crack the fittings. When you have finished,you should apply the Fluid Film to everything that you had to loosen so it might go easier the next time!
That's the info I needed, I'll use a flare nut wrench as well, should not have any pressure in the line anymore, MH hasn't been started for a month. Think I'll make sure my fire extinguisher is handy as well.

Thank you very much!
__________________
2004 Monaco Lapalma PDT W-22, 8.1

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpd View Post
That's the info I needed, I'll use a flare nut wrench as well, should not have any pressure in the line anymore, MH hasn't been started for a month. Think I'll make sure my fire extinguisher is handy as well.

Thank you very much!

Before you grab wrenches and run off let me add a couple suggestions. The 13/16" wrench to hold the fitting on the filter will be a sloppy fit. You might want to take along an adjustable wrench just in case the 13/16" wrench wants to slip. Not an old worn out adjustable wrench but one which can hold the fitting while you loosen the fuel line with the 5/8" wrench. The fuel line nuts tend to rust and sometimes are really difficult to turn. If the adjustable wrench won't hold the fitting on the filter you can make a wrench using a 3/4" wrench and grinding the inside of the jaws of the wrench so it will just fit over the hex fitting. You can use the new filter as a guide to how much grinding you have to do.
When you remove the filter be sure you don't damage or lose the 'O' rings on the end of the fuel line where it fits into the filter. These 'O' rings normally stay in place on the line but I have seen them stick inside the old filter and you won't notice it until you start the engine and see a gas leak.
Before I screw the line fittings into the new filter I coat the threads with a liberal amount of chassis grease. Most any grease will work. After the filter is installed I coat the whole area of the fittings with grease to keep water out and slow rust down.
I hope you don't need this advice but from someone who has changed hundreds of these filters I felt I should throw it out there. Most of these filters I have changed (same part number) have been on cars and light trucks driven up here in winter on salted roads. Hopefully your coach hasn't been.
Lynn
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
akpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpd View Post
That's the info I needed, I'll use a flare nut wrench as well, should not have any pressure in the line anymore, MH hasn't been started for a month. Think I'll make sure my fire extinguisher is handy as well.

Thank you very much!
Just got home from replacing the filter everything went fine without any issues & have the MH back at my house.
__________________
2004 Monaco Lapalma PDT W-22, 8.1

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Watertown NY USA
Posts: 5,314
Good deal. "You have to love it when a plan comes together".
Lynn
__________________
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
akpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Before you grab wrenches and run off let me add a couple suggestions. The 13/16" wrench to hold the fitting on the filter will be a sloppy fit. You might want to take along an adjustable wrench just in case the 13/16" wrench wants to slip. Not an old worn out adjustable wrench but one which can hold the fitting while you loosen the fuel line with the 5/8" wrench. The fuel line nuts tend to rust and sometimes are really difficult to turn. If the adjustable wrench won't hold the fitting on the filter you can make a wrench using a 3/4" wrench and grinding the inside of the jaws of the wrench so it will just fit over the hex fitting. You can use the new filter as a guide to how much grinding you have to do.
When you remove the filter be sure you don't damage or lose the 'O' rings on the end of the fuel line where it fits into the filter. These 'O' rings normally stay in place on the line but I have seen them stick inside the old filter and you won't notice it until you start the engine and see a gas leak.
Before I screw the line fittings into the new filter I coat the threads with a liberal amount of chassis grease. Most any grease will work. After the filter is installed I coat the whole area of the fittings with grease to keep water out and slow rust down.
I hope you don't need this advice but from someone who has changed hundreds of these filters I felt I should throw it out there. Most of these filters I have changed (same part number) have been on cars and light trucks driven up here in winter on salted roads. Hopefully your coach hasn't been.
Lynn
Thanks for your input, well my good fitting Snap~On wreches worked fine & there is absolutely no rust under my rig, O-rings were still good.
__________________
2004 Monaco Lapalma PDT W-22, 8.1

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DP Question, oil & filter change ,fuel filter & air filter chnage schedule ky bob Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 02-01-2020 06:12 PM
Source for Air Filter, Air Dryer Filter, Hydraulic Filter Mike&Chris Entegra Owner's Forum 4 11-27-2018 11:42 AM
Question on air filter and fuel filter coastalsqrl Cummins Engines 16 09-01-2017 08:51 PM
Transmission Filter Fuel Filter 2004 Seabreeze W22 Samflhomes Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 6 03-15-2012 05:16 PM
Engine Fuel filter vs Remote Fuel filter cajunjohn Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 12 12-09-2008 07:26 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.