Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fairly often, the fuel gauge in our '05 Dolphin W22 sticks and shows way past full (to the left) when driving after a fillup. It does register fuel use from this point but of course by the time the needle gets to the full mark the tank is probably 1/3 low. Random stops with engine shudown and restart sometimes will put the needle in the correct spot. No flow issues whatsoever are apparent. Bad sensor or float in the tank? Sound like a chassis issue or National RV? I am fairly sure it is not the actual gauge cluster because that was replaced after a few thousand miles due to missing pixels and I recall the fuel needle acting up a few times when the MH was new. Thanks for any tips.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fairly often, the fuel gauge in our '05 Dolphin W22 sticks and shows way past full (to the left) when driving after a fillup. It does register fuel use from this point but of course by the time the needle gets to the full mark the tank is probably 1/3 low. Random stops with engine shudown and restart sometimes will put the needle in the correct spot. No flow issues whatsoever are apparent. Bad sensor or float in the tank? Sound like a chassis issue or National RV? I am fairly sure it is not the actual gauge cluster because that was replaced after a few thousand miles due to missing pixels and I recall the fuel needle acting up a few times when the MH was new. Thanks for any tips.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
paz

The same thing happened to our W24 a couple of times when the coach had less than 8,000 or so miles on it. We now have 17,000 miles and the problem seems to have gone away. Never did find the cause. If it's the gauge or sensor, I think that would be a Workhorse issue.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My fuel gauge will peg out to full for approximately 100 miles. After that it will gradually go down. I've come to expect it and since I know this characteristic and after living with this motorhome for quite some time I know just about what the status of my fuel is most of the time.

I am usually within 10 or so gallons when I fill up and play the how many gallons will it take game.

I would suggest to keep an eye on the gauge and your actual fill gallons and if it get way too lopsided you may want to have it looked at by a service center. Otherwise I see little there as a problem. I'm sure others will reinforce my estimations concerning the fuel gauge display that you are experiencing. It seems common to a lot of owners.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

No, I think he's talking about another manifestation of the dreaded Actia IP failure, It's happened to me as well (e.g. shut down rig with tank less than full, then re-start and needle pegs beyond full; later the problem will clear up).

Unlike a failure-to-indicate, I think this is something inside the panel (except for a short, wiring problems would make the gage indicate low, not high). I >think< the firmware re-flash cleared mine up, but I can't be sure at the moment.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
kb7our:

What does the gauge do when checking it in the diagnostic mode?

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would take it to the Service Center. My gauge dropped from 3/8 full to empty in 2 miles then pegged at full. This was at 600 miles. The service center fixed this. Then, at 11,000 miles the gauge would go from a true 1/2 tank to pegged full. This cleared up after the IP was replaced.

I feel much more secure when driving with gauges I can trust. My only problem now is the Low Fuel warning. Mine comes on with about 18 gallons left. With the gauge all the way in the red, the most gas I have put in has been 63 gallons. Go figure.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
kb7our:

What does the gauge do when checking it in the diagnostic mode? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guys, I really appreciate the "ideas" about the gauge. The diagnostic runs fine. What makes me think it is not the gauge is that I already had the cluster fixed (not sure if replaced but I suspect so) due to missing pixels issue. I wonder if there is a way to put a volt meter somewhere along the cable that runs to the gauge to see if the sensor in the tank is good?
Could it be the tank sensor is sticking in which case the tank needs to be dropped and internal sensor replaced?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky 2:
......... My only problem now is the Low Fuel warning. Mine comes on with about 18 gallons left. With the gauge all the way in the red, the most gas I have put in has been 63 gallons. Go figure......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rocky2, My Work horse shop manual on CD ROM states "...all fuel tanks actual MAXIMUM CAPACITY is <span class="ev_code_RED">95%</span> of Manufacturors RATED CAPACITY." If this is true, a 75 Gallon tank will actually hold 71.25 gallons (Excluding what the filler tube holds if filled to the top). I am guessing that the Fuel pump assembly, splash baffels and air space above filler hose opening accounts for 5% of the tanks rated capacity. BWDIK!
Best to you - Glenn