Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel pressure problem

My motorhome after sitting runs for awhile, after warming up, it misses very bad, has little power and backfires. I replaced the fuel filter which was clogged but this did not help. I have in a repair shop. The mechanic said that the gasoline is running too rich. The plugs were very black and sooty and would need to be replaced. He checked the fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the engine. The fuel pressure was 95 to 100 PSI. His conclusion was that the fuel pump regulator was faulty and I would need a new fuel pump. Does this make sense? Anyone else have this problem of the fuel pump putting out too much pressure and causing the fuel to run too rich?
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

normally in general the regulator is seperate from the pump tho I don;t know about your engine. never heard of a fuel pump putting out too much pressure always been the other way. Believe would obtain a second opinion
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
Does this make sense? Anyone else have this problem of the fuel pump putting out too much pressure and causing the fuel to run too rich?
The regulator is up on the rail. It handles the fuel pressure that the pump delivers. If the pump is not delivering the fuel, that would be a problem.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Whats the engine? Some actually do have a internal regulator at the pump. Most of the time, however, it is on the fuel rail, either before or after depending on design. If it did fail open, the fuel pressure would be whatever the pump is supplying. If your injectors are designed to use 45psi and now you have 95pst, you will be pumping close to 1.5x the normal fuel into the cylinders making it rich.

But, this should have set some codes and flashed the CEL. Did your Engine Light come on and were there codes? if so, what were they?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The fuel pressure from the pump TO the fuel rail is about 90 psi. But, the pressure AT the fuel rail schrader valve should be between 55 & 62 psi.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The engine is the 8.1L. The pressure at the Schrader valve is 95-100 lbs.
It is causing the gas to be too rich. No lights come on. No error codes using a Tech II.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No code is weird, but I would say the tech is correct. The regulator failed Open (full pressure).
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH is finally fixed. The problem was the fuel regulator located inside the fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank. The fuel regulator was stuck. Workhorse would not sell just the regulator. I had to purchase the complete fuel pump assembly from WH. The fuel was running so rich that it carboned my plugs which was replaced. I also had my mechanic replace the plug wires. My MH feels like it runs the best since I have owned it. Thanks for everyone's help .............
Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I know there is a regulator on the fuel rail at the engine but didn’t know there was one in the fuel pump. It doesn’t really make sense to me that there would be 2 regulators.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
I know there is a regulator on the fuel rail at the engine but didn’t know there was one in the fuel pump. It doesn’t really make sense to me that there would be 2 regulators.
Let's chalk it up as a bad pump! Just had mine replaced so that's the end result regardless of what's found in or on the pump. I had "No" pressure.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

On 04+ chassis the fuel pressure is regulated by the fuel pump and in place of the regulator on the fuel rail is a "fuel dampner" that absorbs the pulses of the fuel pump. On the 01-03 they use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. A restriction in the fuel return line could also cause the problems TXredfish had.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks Jon. That clears it up. Good point that a restriction in the fuel return will result in high pressure in the fuel rail.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote