Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Ummm, not any more. That relationship soured with the 6.0L and 6.4L engines - Ford started building their own diesel for 2011.

Rusty
Yes indeed. I've been following some of the 'tuning' forums and websites and the new 6.7L Scorpion Diesel from Ford is one Nasty piece. These Engine tweakers and tuners have already unlocked that engine with minimal hard part replacements, ECM/PCM/TCM tuning and it's making upwards of 650HP/1200lb.ft/tq. Too early to tell how long the 6.7L is going to be around or if there are any inherent issues with it. Hopefully it won't suffer the same demise as the International/Navistar 6.0L did. So far the MaxxForce 7, known as the 6.4L Turbodiesel in the 2008-2010 Ford Pickups seems to be doing ok.. only time will tell!

I still don't understand why International/Navistar couldn't make their tried-tested-and proven DT444 (known as the 7.3L turbodiesel in Ford pickups between 95 and 2002) or the DT466 smog friendly for the EPA. Either of these powerplants were perhaps the best ever manufactured for this purpose along with the Cummins 5.9L or 8.3L as far as reliability is concerned.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My question is about gas engines, why did it morph into a discussion about diesel ?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
The 502 and 572 are still in production. Either could be reworked for RV applications.
These engines are not able to be used in RV applications without major expenditures to meet the requirements for 2010 and beyond emission control systems.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
My question is about gas engines, why did it morph into a discussion about diesel ?
I would agree however the only "RV" show right now at Workhorse is the W20D and the W22D. The OEMs that are taking deliveries of these chassis are doing very well.

Navistar is delivering MF7s to Monaco and Tiffin as well so that's working too!

Workhorse has a commercial side that is bolstering production line volumes and I do not expect that the company will fail. If Workhorse receives an order to build something RV/Bus/Commercial/Military they will be able to do it because they are first a custom chassis company.

I'm sure the question as to new gas production will come up at the upcoming Club Rally on Cape Hatteras.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
These engines are not able to be used in RV applications without major expenditures to meet the requirements for 2010 and beyond emission control systems.
I knew you would join in here at some point. Thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject of plans at Workhorse going forward.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks like ford is going to be in the rv mkt for a long time. They have, and in my opinion have had, a great power plant.Their rv mkt share has got to be over 80% by now, if not more. I believe that those folks who are first time buyers and need the affordability of a gas engine need to be in a price range of a gas engine. There will also be customers that arnt first time buyers who need to be in the price range of a gas. Also the cost to maint a diesel might be to much for alot of people. I looked at a front diesel in mb and after the salesman started it I told him to shut it down and went to other coaches. If Im going to buy a diesel it will be in the back where it's supposed to be. I dont know who made the engine I looked at or who mfg the box but it didnt matter to me after hearing it run from the drivers seat. But as far as gas engines go I think most will be pleasantly surprised at the fords. I think if I were wh I would be looking for some mfg to build me a gas engine.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the only choice in gas MH's was Ford, I would not buy one. Just my personal opinion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't sugar-coat it, tell it like it is.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Ford V-10 will be gone in a year or two.The Ford and the GM 8.1 can not meet the emission standards the government(EPA) has for gas engines.The only big torque engine left is the Chrysler V-10,and they have stopped production on that,but did not close the plant.Sadly,gasser class A's may be going the way of the dinosaurs!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
If the only choice in gas MH's was Ford, I would not buy one. Just my personal opinion.
Well if you want to buy another new gas you might be walking if ya dont buy a ford. I've had 2 and loved them. Wished I had bought another one. I guess to each his on.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Sadly,gasser class A's may be going the way of the dinosaurs!
Whaler, You may be right but let's not loose all hope on gasoline powered Class A motorhomes. Ford said they will be building through 2011 and I believe that they are trying to pursue an LP solution for that engine. LP will burn cleaner however MPGs aren't going to be its strong suit.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
Well if you want to buy another new gas you might be walking if ya dont buy a ford. I've had 2 and loved them. Wished I had bought another one. I guess to each his on.
When and if I decide to replace this RV, I will buy a diesel if the only gas option is Ford.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Whaler, You may be right but let's not loose all hope on gasoline powered Class A motorhomes. Ford said they will be building through 2011 and I believe that they are trying to pursue an LP solution for that engine. LP will burn cleaner however MPGs aren't going to be its strong suit.
Nor will power. I met a fellow that has the exact same motorhome as I however it is dual powered since he travels in England and the US. He runs LPG in England and Gas in the US. He says it lacks a lot of power on LPG.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
He says it lacks a lot of power on LPG.
If you look back in the threads here we have seen requests from our British cousins to adapt their Workhorse motorhome to LP use. It seems to be a very popular alternative fuel for the Brits given the amount of room they have to travel in. Great Britain is slightly larger than Minnesota.