Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Gas Motorhome Gray smoke at acceleration

What is the fix in a gas motorhome that has gray smoke coming out of one exhaust only on acceleration?
It's a 2006 8100 Vortex GM engine on Workhorse Chassie.
Mileage 73k.

Before I take it to a shop, I'd like to hear suggestions from this group rather relying solely on a repair shop.
Quote ReplyReport •••
oliverquibbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #2

Is the smoke visible continually on acceleration ( eg. long uphill ) or momentary , 10>20 sec then clear ?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grey (I think you mean Blue) smoke is oil burning. Usually means the piston rings are worn and/or cylinder walls are glazed, and is letting too much oil get into the combustion chamber. Worn valve guides usually smoke more at startup and then clear up. Worn or stuck piston rings will bypass more oil under load. Do you see any smoke/pressure coming out the oil fill cap with the engine idling?

A cylinder "leak down test" will tell if that is the problem.

Black smoke is too much fuel (unburned fuel) from faulty/incomplete combustion, can be weak ignition/spark plug/ wires, lack of air (dirty air cleaner, bad turbo, etc.)

White smoke is water getting in the combustion chamber (leaking head gasket, cracked head, etc.).

There really isn't a "Grey" smoke.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #4

it could also be a bad transmission vacuum modulator and its allowing trans fluid to be sucked into engine and burnt.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #5

Add a couple bottles of mystery oil and cross your fingers.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #6

Gray/whitish smoke is caused by water, moisture or antifreeze. Does it go away after 10 minutes or so of driving or is it there any time you load the engine like going down the highway. Many workhorse chassis coaches have the mufflers orientated in a way that condensation will build up in the lower part of the muffler. It takes a long time to burn this condensation out after initial start up.

If your smoke never goes away then you may have more serious issues. Head gaskets can be an issue if the coach was over heated. Intake manifold gaskets can also be an issue and can also allow coolant into the intake tract and cylinder.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #7

Gas Motorhome Gray smoke at acceleration

Most of the Workhorse chassis have true dual exhaust, so whatever the problem is, it is likely only on that side of the engine. Without seeing the actual “smoke”, I’m betting on a head gasket leaking antifreeze into the combustion chamber(s). I think you could confirm if that is the problem by observation of the level in the radiator going down. Don’t rely only on the level showing in the “overflow” tank. Good luck.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
it could also be a bad transmission vacuum modulator and its allowing trans fluid to be sucked into engine and burnt.
Good call! Sadly, this being the culprit (and missed TWICE by the shop I was using) cost me about $600 on my Chevelle back in 1978, which was a lot of money back then for a college kid! It was a $20 part and a super easy fix, but they swore it was something else. Twice. Only when I was driving back to campus and my transmission started missing (and the smoke occurring again) did we put two and two together.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #9

I second CountryB's leak-down cooling system test comment, and add a compression pressure test. Without diagnostic testing everything else is a EWAG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #10

Gray smoke could just be carbon burning out. I never suspect head gaskets in cast iron engines. I would just monitor the situation and look for a pattern of when it happens and make sure the smoke isn't black or blue. The black and blue smoke is easier to diagnose.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Good call! Sadly, this being the culprit (and missed TWICE by the shop I was using) cost me about $600 on my Chevelle back in 1978, which was a lot of money back then for a college kid! It was a $20 part and a super easy fix, but they swore it was something else. Twice. Only when I was driving back to campus and my transmission started missing (and the smoke occurring again) did we put two and two together.
Bad call. Show me where a vacuum modulator is on an Allison trans.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #12

To be sure. Modulators can let ATF be inhaled which usually makes a white smoke. Unfortunately the vehicle under discussion is not equipped with one of those. Vacuum modulators disappeared years ago.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #13

And, we see the two ways of handling the situation, right there. One, explaining the situation properly (with manners) and educating others; the other, the all-knowing wise one, putting others back in their place.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Bad call. Show me where a vacuum modulator is on an Allison trans.

You MAY be correct.

We don't know if the OP has a P chassis with GM transmission or a W chassis with Allison.

Tags
gas, motor, motorhome