Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Gas/Oil Additives

I never have been an advocate of gas/oil additives. Always looked on them as snake oil. But just wondering if after spending an extended time in storage, couple weeks up to three months, there might be a justified use of any just to get the motor home woke up and running again. One called Sea Foam comes to mind, but I'm sure there's probably others out there. Any thoughts out there on this? Thanks.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
SeaFoam.. "cleans pistons magically". Yep. So does a good old fashioned head gasket leak that lets water into the combustion chamber.

The additive I'm looking at for 3 month storage is fuel stabilizer, especially on the genset side. Actually, I'm likely to drain the bowl on the genset (preferred) if I can't do stabilizer.

Beyond that, I read good things about the injector cleaning additive techron, but I've only tried it once.

Other additives have their purpose - additives for diesel (in some circumstances) and Torco for high-octane purposes (tuning boost).

Otherwise, I'm with you..snake oil.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
SeaFoam.. "cleans pistons magically". Yep. So does a good old fashioned head gasket leak that lets water into the combustion chamber.

The additive I'm looking at for 3 month storage is fuel stabilizer, especially on the genset side. Actually, I'm likely to drain the bowl on the genset (preferred) if I can't do stabilizer.

Beyond that, I read good things about the injector cleaning additive techron, but I've only tried it once.

Other additives have their purpose - additives for diesel (in some circumstances) and Torco for high-octane purposes (tuning boost).

Otherwise, I'm with you..snake oil.
+1 a fuel stabilizer is a great idea. It does help with keeping the fuel fresher when it is in storage. I do believe that when storing a vehicle the tank should be filled but I typically do not. I would rather fill it up with fresh fuel once out of storage. If the engine is sitting for a few months nothing special is really needed but for a longer time in storage I will start the engine once a month until it is warm. Will do the same with the generator. After the storage season is over, I change the oil in both engines.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

A good stabilizer is a must for storage over 30 days. A real good cleaner for removing carbon deposits is made by gm it is gm fuel system treatment plus. I call it miracle fix in a bottle. I have been using it for over 10 years and seen it fix alot of problems due to carbon and fuel deposits. Just my .02
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

My Onan 5kw genset was surging while under load. Gas in line to genset and carb is more than a year old. I ran 3 cans of SeaFoam thru 15 gallons of gas (much higher strength than normal) while running genset with and without load for 250 miles.

No more surging...but I'm lucky. It won't always be this easy.

I bought MH used and it sat well over a year.

In everything gas at home I mix in Stabil as sometimes I won't use engine for many months. Gas with ethanol mix goes bad faster than real gas.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8.1 L Vortec misfire & Ping Solution (non plug wire issue)
Chevron TECHRON is the only thing that worked for me. See above link.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have used slick 50 since the early 80's before it hit the auto market. I only have 525,000 mi. on my chevy Blazer with a 350. I did have a problem at 180,000 mi. with the oil cooler line coming out. I drove back to my shop (5mi. away) replaced the fitting, put oil in and have been driving it since. I just bought my first motorhome. I just slick50'ed the 8.1 liter and the generator. Oh and my dad years ago cracked a piston in his 63 chev. 327. The mechanic asked what he put in the engine since there was a very slippery substance between the cam journals. I am skeptical as well about snake oil as well. I hope this helps.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote