Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas tank and fuel lines

Since I had the problem as detailed in “Total loss of Power” I decided to pull the fuel pump and replace the rubber gas lines on top of the gas tank without dropping the tank.

Pulling the fuel pump was easy and after talking with Workhorse technical I made the following changes. WCC said later versions of the fuel pump had added holes in the bottom of the canister holding the actual fuel pump so more fuel could enter/exit around the fuel pump and make the actual pump motor run cooler. To that end I drilled two 3/8” holes near the bottom

Next based on other input on hot returning fuel (return line) dumping directly into the actual fuel pump area in the module I added a hose diverting the returning fuel away from the fuel pump

That is the large black hose that come down from the top of the module and ends outside of the bottom beige container. It is a 1” diameter shrink sleeving heated where it fits over the return outlet just below the top of the fuel module.

Next I tackled the replacement of the rubber lines ontop of the tank. To do that I had to find out where the metal lines ended ontop of the tank. Thanks to help on this forum I found out it was just in front of the front strap on the left (drivers) side just inside of the frame rail. To get access was a major problem and required cutting the bottom of a storage compartment. Because of the thick metal Rexhall uses, an air powered cutoff wheel was used. This close to gas lines is a potential explosion concern and anyone who does this needs to be aware. Also because of Rexhall’s design, the fuel module access was in one compartment and the metal gas line access was in another.

Viewed from the right side the rear compartment (left in picture) is the fuel pump access and front compartment (right in picture) is metal gas line access.

Gas line compartment colocated with black tank drain

Closer Closer picture

Closest Closest picture showing all three lines.

Once lines were replaced (takes two people one to feed and one to pull)
a replacement tin cover was made and siliconed and screwed down with careful placement and length of screws so as not to pierce or abraid the gas lines.

While I said earlier in this long post, I can’t recommend replacing the rubber gas lines in the manner I did, I did discover a serious problem that all should be aware of. The rubber lines were NOT fuel injection lines nor were fuel injection hose clamps used. I realize only the pressure line needs to be fuel injection hose with fuel injection hose clamps. Since I bought the coach new, I know the lines have not been changed previously So either Rexhall or Workhorse put the lines in incorrectly. I can’t believe Rexhall would have changed the lines out or put on one of the lines with a slip clip connection like done at the factory. And I have trouble believing Workhorse would send out units with incorrect hose and clamps. Anyone else who drops their tank should have the rubber lines and clamps checked before reinstallation. Normal hose is labeled 30R7 and less than $1/foot. Fuel injection hose is labeled J30R9 and is $4/foot for Goodyear at Autozone and also has a blue liner inside the hose.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Since I bought the coach new, I know the lines have not been changed previously So either Rexhall or Workhorse put the lines in incorrectly. I can’t believe Rexhall would have changed the lines out or put on one of the lines with a slip clip connection like done at the factory. And I have trouble believing Workhorse would send out units with incorrect hose and clamps.
scoutmstr, Workhorse currently ships all chassis with the fuel systems completely tied in.

In 2005 the fuel systems were fed by a pony tank. The tank is dismounted, the pump is removed and the OE installs the pump in the main tank and the fuel lines are tied in.

So I hope this addresses your immediate concern as to whom tied in the fuel lines.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
scoutmstr, Workhorse currently ships all chassis with the fuel systems completely tied in.

In 2005 the fuel systems were fed by a pony tank. The tank is dismounted, the pump is removed and the OE installs the pump in the main tank and the fuel lines are tied in.

So I hope this addresses your immediate concern as to whom tied in the fuel lines.
Scoutmstr, thanks for your detailed installation.

DriVer, Do you know what Workhorse did before 2005, mine is a 2002?

Thanks,
Dick
Hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I'm unclear as to what you meant "tied in" My concern would be who furnished the rubber lines that go from the steel lines above the tank to the fuel pump in the tank on pre-2005 chassis. Based on your quote it would seem the coach maker furnished the rubber, but that raises the question; Why would they (coach maker) use a clip type fastener which is hard mounted on the steel line instead of just a hose clamp? If it would help I can post a picture of what I'm trying to explain as to a "clip fastener"
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
DriVer, Do you know what Workhorse did before 2005, mine is a 2002?
Dick, Pre-2006 I believe all the fuel systems were OE completion. After 2006 the fuel systems were completed at Union City at the Workhorse plant. With the fuel systems completed at the plant, there wasn't any wiggle room between one manufacturer and another, they're all the same.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I'm unclear as to what you meant "tied in" My concern would be who furnished the rubber lines that go from the steel lines above the tank to the fuel pump in the tank on pre-2005 chassis.
scoutmstr, Workhorse ships a dunnage box with each chassis. All the fuel lines and any other components like the fuel fill pipe and gas cap, owner's manual, etc. are also shipped to the OE in the dunnage box.

The OEs will use the parts in the box to complete the installation. Whatever components that you have there are certified to be emission control compliant and these things are all approved by the feds.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dick, Pre-2006 I believe all the fuel systems were OE completion. After 2006 the fuel systems were completed at Union City at the Workhorse plant. With the fuel systems completed at the plant, there wasn't any wiggle room between one manufacturer and another, they're all the same.
Thanks, guess I better check mine!

Dick
Hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
scoutmstr, Workhorse ships a dunnage box with each chassis. All the fuel lines and any other components like the fuel fill pipe and gas cap, owner's manual, etc. are also shipped to the OE in the dunnage box.

The OEs will use the parts in the box to complete the installation. Whatever components that you have there are certified to be emission control compliant and these things are all approved by the feds.

Thanks for the information. I know everything has to meet federal requirements and I'm not trying to "ding" Workhorse. Non-fuel injection fuel line will work as will worm gear type hose clamps. It's just that there are fuel injection specific hose and clamps. I know from 1st hand experience (not on the MH) that fuel injection hose will last longer under the pressure and wanted to make others aware.