RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone know how much gas (in gallons) is left when your gage show low fuel?
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone know how much gas (in gallons) is left when your gage show low fuel?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Mulcahy:
Anyone know how much gas (in gallons) is left when your gage show low fuel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's going to be very close to 5 gallons!

That's about 35 to 40 miles as the Horse gallops.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Mulcahy:
Anyone know how much gas (in gallons) is left when your gage show low fuel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a recent trip to Disneyland the fuel warning came on and I stopped for fuel approximately 5 miles later. Filling and topping off, it took 59.7 gallons of gasoline and it's a 75 gallon tank. Not sure how much of that fuel left in the tank was 'useable' before I might have had to push it the rest of the way...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Anyone know how much gas (in gallons) is left when your gage show low fuel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a recent trip to Disneyland the fuel warning came on and I stopped for fuel approximately 5 miles later. Filling and topping off, it took 59.7 gallons of gasoline and it's a 75 gallon tank. Not sure how much of that fuel left in the tank was 'useable' before I might have had to push it the rest of the way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never had the fuel light come on, only because I haven't let it fall below 1/4 tank yet.
But with 1/4 tank (or very slightly more)showing, it always takes 58 gallons.
Rolling on W22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolling on W22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:

On a recent trip to Disneyland the fuel warning came on and I stopped for fuel approximately 5 miles later. Filling and topping off, it took 59.7 gallons of gasoline and it's a 75 gallon tank. Not sure how much of that fuel left in the tank was 'useable' before I might have had to push it the rest of the way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never had the fuel light come on, only because I haven't let it fall below 1/4 tank yet.
But with 1/4 tank (or very slightly more)showing, it always takes 58 gallons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually would never let it get that low either; my old MH would make the same run all the way with a couple of short runs while at Disneyland. This MH has the same size tank but less mpg's, so I came up about 60 miles short.

In fact, when the low fuel warning came on, it also made an audible sound and I had to look around to figure out what the alarm was for.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My P32 with long tank has taken 79.2 gallons. The fuel guage was still bouncing beforehand. It commonly goes 240 miles after fillup before the fuel guage comes off the full peg.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Keep in mind, the float sensor must face toward the rear of the tank, because when you're on a bit of a grade with the nose pointing downhill the tank will show emptier then it is, and vice/versa.

I just filled mine yesterday and the gauge showed just above the red mark. It took 62.5 gallons to top it off.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I will agree with Bob (WA0MQE) as I too have run the rig into the red zone twice. Once it took 65/66 als and the other 62 gals.

I normally start looking at a quarter tank. I top off before I stop for the day or top off shortly after I start the next leg in the AM. It really depends on how much I need.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #10

My thoughts are; 1. it doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank than the bottom half, 2. when traveling you need to stop about every 1 to 2 hours just to exercise the legs so every other time make the stop at a fuel station, 3. if not traveling then never let the tank get below where the generator pickup ends (between half and quarter). And always remember #1. Bob
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KD4AO:
My thoughts are; 1. it doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank than the bottom half, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it does cost more to run with a full tank than an empty one. Gas or Diesel runs (rounded) to about 8 pounds per gallon, thus 35 gallons is about 280 pounds. A rather good size person.

And every time you add a pound to the rig (or even a fraction of a pound) it takes more fuel to haul it around.

The question is: Is the cost of hauling this extra person offset by the additional cost of stopping more often for fuel?

Partial answer: NOT if you fill up at the 1/2 tank point every time, no.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John-D:
Actually it does cost more to run with a full tank than an empty one. Gas or Diesel runs (rounded) to about 8 pounds per gallon, thus 35 gallons is about 280 pounds. A rather good size person. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>John, A gallon of gasoline weighs 6 pounds.

I have run the gas tank down until I received a LOW FUEL WARNING in the Command Center and I took on very close to 70 gallons of fuel. At my then rate of consumption, I indicated approximately 550 miles on my T2 which I zero out when I fill my tank. I was cranking out close to 7.5 MPG or better.

I wouldn't want to run the motorhome down to this fuel level but I wanted to experiment and I was returning home from Florida. Just about every exit in Georgia northbound has fuel resources and I was determined to run the tank down until I saw the warning in the Command Center.

The prompt displayed pretty much at the same time that I took to an exit off the Interstate and my wife began yelling at me that she wasn't going to push the motorhome - go and get gas.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok today I kind of anwsered my own question, The low fuel warning came on and we drove 30 before filling up with gas. Topped off the motorhome (wh) took 65 gallons. Figuring towing a car we were getting about 7,5 mpg. So doing the math that means there is about around 14 gallons remaining in the tank when the low fuel light comes on.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> KD4AO... My thoughts are; 1. it doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank than the bottom half, 2. when traveling you need to stop about every 1 to 2 hours just to exercise the legs so every other time make the stop at a fuel station, 3. if not traveling then never let the tank get below where the generator pickup ends (between half and quarter). And always remember #1. Bob
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree Bob, I rarely let the tank get below 1/2. But in my case I think it's psychological. It "seems" like it's costing less, HA HA... because that 62.5 gallons the other day cost me $188.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote