Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been thinking of changing to a diesel......so yesterday I drove a DP. Was a nice 03 Allegro Bus 37footer. Had a 330 Cat with a 6 speed Allison. Acceleration didn't seem to be near what my workhorse is. Power seemed to be about the same, noise level was better, the surprising thing was, I didn't think the ride was much different.....a little better, but not a lot. There's things about the coach I drove, that I don't care for, just personal type things. I came away wondering if it was really worth the extra money to move from a gas to a diesel. I have a nice 03 Southwind 32vs now.....any comments?? Thanks
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been thinking of changing to a diesel......so yesterday I drove a DP. Was a nice 03 Allegro Bus 37footer. Had a 330 Cat with a 6 speed Allison. Acceleration didn't seem to be near what my workhorse is. Power seemed to be about the same, noise level was better, the surprising thing was, I didn't think the ride was much different.....a little better, but not a lot. There's things about the coach I drove, that I don't care for, just personal type things. I came away wondering if it was really worth the extra money to move from a gas to a diesel. I have a nice 03 Southwind 32vs now.....any comments?? Thanks
Brian
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #3

I have always looked at in terms of amount of use. We are on the road 8 months of the year. I still can not see a diesel in my garage. You drive from point A to B and sit for months. And as far as interior fixtures. Some DP are not put together any better than a gasser or that much nicer inside.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had one diesel, do not want another. when i go down the road and pull in to get gas it is diffcult enough to get gasoline, you can't find the diesel pump and it always leaks and stinks. you have schedule your trips around truck stops, no way.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do my own maintenance-i.e.-Oil/Filter, lube-general stuff. I can do it on the road, only 6 quarts of oil to deal with.--with a diesel, you have to deal with 22 to 26 quarts. I just did a 11,600 mile trip this summer and could have gotten better fuel milage with a deisel, I guess, but I would have paid $1.10 to $1.40 a gal more for fuel--Not sure there would have been any savings. I know you can go longer on Oil changes, etc., but you are using 4 times as much oil in a change. Plus the higher cost of a deisel engine.
My WH with th 8.1 did an exceptional job on this trip. The whole NorthWest USA-Washinton down to San Diego, through NV, AZ, NM, CO to PA and back to FL. No problems with any mountain passes ot hills--Towing all the way.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #6

Supercub,

At the RV rally in Redmond OR this past July we drove a 38' Expedition with the same horsepower and transmission and came away with exactly the same feelings as you posted.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Supercub and Bluewind- Both of you have 32ftMoHos
and you compared them to 38' Diesels. Maybe you should now drive a 38-39 ft gasser and then see
which rides better. The diesel will have more pulling power and twice the towing capacity even with a chasis that is much heavier then a gaser. My 31 ft Gulfstream gasser was the best driving MoHo I've had. Ihad a 35 ft Rexhall W-22 that was a very good drive but I couldn't tow more than 4000 lb. I now have a DSDP and intially thought it was alittle slower at take off but it takes a little time to get adjusted to learning how to drive it. I think that for the shorter MoHos a gas unit is the way to go but stepping up to the 38ft and up Rigs, Diesel is the way to go.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #8

I have a 38G and tow more then I need with a L 300 Saturn. Tow capacity for a Gasser is 5,000 pounds. I guess you really need to decide is how big a rig do you want to tow? In other words How big is your ego? With two slides and towing the Saturn I haven't been passed in 15,000 miles by a DP going up hill. Besides The difference between 55 uphill and 60 uphill is a difference of feet. I just can't justify an extra 60,000 dollars, higher maint cost for a matter of feet. The ride in our W22 is just as good or better then most of the DP we drove.

I get a chuckle when I see a DP come into a resort towing a full size SUV and only two people use it. Talk about killing the environment! Pretty soon there won't be anything left to see anyway!

There's nothing like sitting down at sunset looking out on the Black/Brown SMOG floating over the city when the silence is interrupted by a Diesel jakebrake on a 18 wheeler slowing down quickly for a red light!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tow capacity for a Gasser is 5,000 pounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

6000 pounds for the W24 and new W25.5.

I'm considering a Hummer H-3.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I'm considering a Hummer H-3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep you can do it! Only thing is that you'd have to have them weld up a Class IV hitch if you wanted to go over 5K pounds. Good thing is that the "rail" is rated for it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote