Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Gasoline seeping at the fuel tank

Hi Gang,

This morning I was under the rig doing some chassis lubrication when I noticed something amiss at the fuel tank. There are 4 steel straps holding the fuel tank and each has a rubber pad between the strap and tank. I noticed that the rubber on the 2nd strap from the front is protruding from under the strap. Closer inspection showed gasoline soaking and obviously swelling the rubber. It is not dripping and this may have been going on for years. Off and on I have noticed the smell of raw gasoline inside the rig, just outside the bathroom door and above the trouble spot I just discovered.

What might be happening here? We are scheduled to leave in a week for 2 to 3 months traveling from western NC to Wyoming, then back through Michigan, New York, and New Hampshire. There's never been any sign of gasoline actually dripping to the ground so there isn't much of a leak. If repairs can be put off until Fall I'd have the work done at our favorite service center (Larry's Auto Clinic in Myrtle Beach, SC).

Thanks,
Bruce
JucenBrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JucenBrudi View Post
There's never been any sign of gasoline actually dripping to the ground so there isn't much of a leak. If repairs can be put off until Fall I'd have the work done at our favorite service center (Larry's Auto Clinic in Myrtle Beach, SC).
Bruce, Larry changed my tank but mine was dripping. There may be a loose clamp at the fill hose or even on the other side of the tank there's a plug on top that might be leaking at the alternate fill opening. It took Larry a month I believe to get a replacement gas tank I bet or longer but all is well at the moment. If you do neeed a tank, I'd get on the short list and have the tank in transit so it'll be waiting when you get back.

If you are here stop by and see Larry and he'll let you know right away where it's leaking. I hope you make it back by October. Come and join us at Ocean Lakes. Tell him Mike said Hi!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bruce, Larry changed my tank but mine was dripping. There may be a loose clamp at the fill hose or even on the other side of the tank there's a plug on top that might be leaking at the alternate fill opening.

It took Larry a month I believe to get a replacement gas tank I bet or longer but all is well at the moment. If you do neeed a tank, I'd get on the short list and have the tank in transit so it'll be waiting when you get back.

If you are here stop by and see Larry and he'll let you know right away where it's leaking. I hope you make it back by October. Come and join us at Ocean Lakes. Tell him Mike said Hi!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. It also occurred to me over night that Larry mentioned to me that at the age of our coach, it's an '04 with 79,000 miles on it, problems often develop with the gasoline line to the generator. This would require removing the tank <GROAN> but it also sounds like something that could be put off so long as the actual gasoline loss is so minor at this point.

I wish we were near by, I'd run by Larry's tomorrow for an initial impression. Unfortunately, we are booked up with doctor appointments, etc. and it is a two day's drive to Larry's from here. The upside, of course, is we could arrive with a near empty fuel tank . It is topped off right now.

I think we are scheduled for Christmas at Huntington Beach State Park.

Thanks again,
Bruce
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

This link may be of interest.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/gas-tank-leak-56214.html
Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Very interesting, indeed. It seems an almost perfect description of our situation except I haven't removed the strap to inspect. You may have resolved our problem and indicated some directions we can move.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I was lucky. Had what I thought was a gas tank leak. Turned out to be the fuel filler and vent hoses. They were both rotted by good clean Southern California air. It cost me about $400 to have both of them replaced.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How old is your coach George?

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Info used to show up in my signature. It is a 2004 Allegro 30DA on a W20.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrvr View Post
Info used to show up in my signature. It is a 2004 Allegro 30DA on a W20.
George, Go to the "User CP" on the tool bar and look for your signature link. It's easy.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Our fuel line from tank to generator had to be replaced 2 years ago when MH was five and a half years old.

Richard
Old 05-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #11

Update on the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Good morning Gang,

DancinCampers nailed it! to follow this update I recommend you read the link, above.

I removed the steel strap at the leak (an easy job) and quickly found the dimple. I wiped the area clean and immediately could see gasoline seeping from the dimple.

I then cleaned the area and applied a patch with JB Weld's Water Weld (also indicated for fuel tanks and compatible with gasoline). JB Weld was mentioned in the other thread as a possible fix. In an hour I had a cured patch which looked secure. I then applied a coat of Rustoleum primer and will top it off with Black Rustoleum enamel.

Several hours after the repair I saw no sign of a leak. That was about 14 hours ago. I'll be checking it again in a few hours.

JB Weld's line of products is new to me. We bought ours at WalMart and I've been told it is commonly available.

After making the repair I studied the JB Weld product line some more and think now that, rather than Water Weld, JB Stik might have been a better choice. At this point I don't think Water Weld was a bad choice, but it appears JB Stik cures to a harder material. It appears that if the repair doesn't hold it will not be too difficult to remove the Water Weld repair and replace it with JB Stik.

In the other thread which described the nature of the leak, it was also mentioned that the "repair" (replacing the tank) cost about $1900.00. The Water Weld cost about $5.50. The labor involved was not bad at all and, compared with taking it to a service center, was almost totally insignificant. Also, the repair could have been done "on the road," even in a WalMart parking lot.

Thanks everyone,
Bruce
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #12

Here's an update to my tank repair.

After about 5 weeks and over 3000 miles traveling I can see no sign of the original seeping.

It looks like it's is holding great and may have saved me a bundle. At the very least it would have allowed me to get to a service center of my choice at a time of my choice for tank replacement or welding.

Bruce
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's great to see you have solved your issue (at least a good temp repair) and even better that you came back to let us know so we may use this in the future.

Thanks