Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Get me home parking brake fix

So I’m kinda familiar with this stupid parking brake setup. I’ve previously replaced the RGS and had the spring actuator deal rebuilt. All of a sudden yesterday all was well then I set parking brake for my dad to get in and it wouldn’t disengage and the auto park light was on. Instant pissed happens! I pull on and off and all sudden it releases but auto park is on. Short trip to our stop all is well. I’ve spent the morning underneath this thing trying to figure it out. Ive got a lengthy trip home and can’t find a switch around me of course and can’t get one until Wednesday.

Things I’ve done -
Ensured reservoir was filled
Inspected for leaked at RGS
Unplug switch and auto park light goes out
Visual and with help of phone it appears I have a leak from somewhere. (It’s on frame rail) leak only appears to be as it’s being actuated on and off
Bigk_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigk_54 View Post
So I’m kinda familiar with this stupid parking brake setup. I’ve previously replaced the RGS and had the spring actuator deal rebuilt. All of a sudden yesterday all was well then I set parking brake for my dad to get in and it wouldn’t disengage and the auto park light was on. Instant pissed happens! I pull on and off and all sudden it releases but auto park is on. Short trip to our stop all is well. I’ve spent the morning underneath this thing trying to figure it out. Ive got a lengthy trip home and can’t find a switch around me of course and can’t get one until Wednesday.

Things I’ve done -
Ensured reservoir was filled
Inspected for leaked at RGS
Unplug switch and auto park light goes out
Visual and with help of phone it appears I have a leak from somewhere. (It’s on frame rail) leak only appears to be as it’s being actuated on and off
There is another switch on the inlet to the cylinder if memory serves me correctly. It is prone to rupture and leaking off the pressure needed to keep the brake off. Replace it and you'll be back in business.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

Go to the top of this forum and type in j71 in the search box and you find all kinds of threads on this subject.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Go to the top of this forum and type in j71 in the search box and you find all kinds of threads on this subject.
I’ve read a lot of them was looking for a quick answer what else maybe I missed. Today the pump won’t even pump she’s in park. Ordered green switch, at this point I’m sure it’s that and I’m stuck in a bad place now lol
Old 09-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #5

Get me home parking brake fix

FWIW, think the RGS and the other one are interchangeable. I believe the grey switch only job is to turn on the warning lite.
And I believe you can buy better quality switches at : www.urvp.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
I’ve read a lot of them was looking for a quick answer what else maybe I missed. Today the pump won’t even pump she’s in park. Ordered green switch, at this point I’m sure it’s that and I’m stuck in a bad place now lol
If memory serves me correctly, there is a grey switch on the cylinder where you see leakage. That switch has likely ruptured.
If you get the system to run it'll blow off all the rest of the ATF fluid in the reservoir.
In my Allegro the pump motor was prone to rain washing in while traveling. Eventually the motor rusted up, the oillite bearings in it dried out and wore into ovals and then the armature hit the permanent magnets which had cracked from blistering rust. Replaced it with a snow-plow pump motor. That rainwater also passed the pump shaft seal allowing water into the system. You have to cycle the system many times, changing out ATF along the way as it mixes with the entrained water.
My Allegro is retired and up on blocks. My biggest scare with the AAPB happened when it rolled away from the gas pumps with no one onboard. There is barely 1/8 inch of material on new brake shoes and when that is gone due to the ignition switch anomalies we had early on with Workhorse Chassis, 2 episodes of at speed failure of the switch had wiped the shoes nearly clean of material. And as I recall there was no adjustment available or left in the mechanism at that point. Good luck to all with J71 AAPB systems.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FWIW, think the RGS and the other one are interchangeable. I believe the grey switch only job is to turn on the warning lite.
And I believe you can buy better quality switches at : www.urvp.com
Gonna give that a try thanks!

Well that didn’t work, BUT that switch was unplugged and I think it was because the light stayed on so someone told me to unplug it
Old 09-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Gonna give that a try thanks!
NO NO NO They are not!
Old 09-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #9

There was something peculiar to the RGS in the adapter it mounts into. If you don't hold back the adapter as you remove the RGS you may inadvertently remove the RGS along with the adapter and if not careful you could lose a metering pin or some sort of thing. But it's been along time soooooo.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

There are the 2 pressure switches, a 3rd item screwed into the aluminum plate and then the pump. I have 12v going to all of them. As I connect and disconnect plug for the rgs I can hear the relay clicking. As the parking park handle is pushed in and out I can hear the relay click ��
Old 09-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
There are the 2 pressure switches, a 3rd item screwed into the aluminum plate and then the pump. I have 12v going to all of them. As I connect and disconnect plug for the rgs I can hear the relay clicking. As the parking park handle is pushed in and out I can hear the relay click ��
Could be your pump motor gave up the smoke like they like to say elsewhere in these forums, or it just isn't receiving voltage. Use your VOM and get back with some readings.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #12

It would help if you were to tell us the model year of your coach as there are several versions of the automatic parking brake system, though mentioning the rotten green switch narrows that down to 2 or 3 versions.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It would help if you were to tell us the model year of your coach as there are several versions of the automatic parking brake system, though mentioning the rotten green switch narrows that down to 2 or 3 versions.
My apologies it was in my signature.
1999 mountainaire on workhorse
RGS, pump, etc is on passenger side frame rail
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #14

Not sure I am reading your post right.. there is am emergency manual release.. but I warn you.. it is for emergency only.. YOU WILL HAVE TO.. CHOCK ALL WHEELS ALL THE TIME OR RV WILL ROLL AWAY AND POSSIBLY KILL SOMEONE.. that said.. on driver's side frame rail.. by trans.. there is a bracket that both the a/p actuator cable and a/p brake drunk cable go into.. now they are under great spring tension.. the is a pin.. on the actuator cable.. you pull that.. NOW KEEP FIGURES OUT OF WAY.. YOU CAN LOSS ONE.. USE LONG FLAT BLADE SCREWDRIVER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.. and no a/p.. unless the internal shoes have rusted or hanged up.. before pulling pin.. CHOCK ALL WHEELs.. SO.. you say you are familiar with a/p.. and worked on it before.. then to be clear.. because I don't want readers to get hurt.. to be clear.. this is not like a car.. there is no parking Pawl.. to hold rv in place.. so once you pull pin.. rv will roll and damage will occur.. 2nd.. you noticed drips.. did all the hydraulic fluid drain out of resovior ? Next you said that you had checked and changed switches.. inspect the small hydraulic line that runs from the pump to actuator.. I had a small leak in mine. So i had one made.. or order new one.. . next.. how far and what speed did you drive ? We need to know to better help you.. next.. inspect outside of a/p brake drum.. is it discolored ? Get back with us.. and we will get you more help.. why have you not installed the genie lamp system ? Good luck let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. now is good time to get genie light system installed..

Tags
brake, parking