Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a gm service bulletin. I have never seen a part number for it. I made mine when I had a 89.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #16

It does have air deflector. thanks
Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
What happens if you warm it up fully before driving, does it still do it? If not, sounds like an open loop issue.

Did you install the Workhorse MAF or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, the calibration may not match the original. Do you still have the original you could swap and verify?
It was aftermarket...I will unpug and check to see if problem goes away. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2020, 05:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
This fixes that air flow problem. it can also prevent a cracked manifold from over heating. I don't know how many years of 454's had this problem.
I do have air deflectors in pace. thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverBob57 View Post
Have you had the O2 sensors checked? Also, there is a Workhorse forum with several 8.1 experts that can offer suggestions.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/
They were checked out when i first got it...500 miles ago but will check them out. Thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
Fuel Filter?
fuel pump and fuel filter was just changed. Fuel pressure is good.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Get a "ScanGaugeII" and watch your numbers for fuel trim and also the MAF flow.

If you have good power once you are going down the road, your cats are fine.

With that much oil and junk in the intake, I suspect your MAF is dirty again. Give it a cleaning with MAF cleaner, and try it again. It doesn't take much to cause them to give false readings, and send a lean fuel mix. If you run it too long on excessively lean mix, it will destroy your engine.
The maf was just changed with aftermarket sensor...no miles since so still new and clean. What would cause oil to be accumulating on outside of air filter housing or too many possibilities to list? Thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
What happens if you warm it up fully before driving, does it still do it? If not, sounds like an open loop issue.

Did you install the Workhorse MAF or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, the calibration may not match the original. Do you still have the original you could swap and verify?
I did intstall and aftermarket maf...that might be the problem. I know when i removed the old maf and air filter the air filter was completely clogged and full of opil residue. I havent tried letting it run for 10 minutes before driving but will try that. Thanks
Old 12-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #23

If you don't install the MAF at the same angle as you took it out. It will cause this problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Unplug your mass air, If the problem goes away, the mass air is your problem.
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #24

Meaning the wire hook up to MAF angle as old one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchch3 View Post
If you don't install the MAF at the same angle as you took it out. It will cause this problem
Wrenchch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Meaning the wire hook up to MAF angle as old one
Thanks
Old 12-23-2020, 05:09 AM   #26

Quote:
That is interesting. Cant say its at the exact angle but will disconnect and try that. It is a Blue streak maf...will that make a difference to since its not a workhorse maf? Thanks
Old 12-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forget what you have been told so far. Take your motor home to a shop for a computer diagnosis. They will give the answers.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #28

Yeah - read the codes. But why in the world are you changing so much stuff with just 22,000 miles on the clock?

Plugs would have gone 75-100K, MAF - rare failures, coil packs - really? Fuel filter and pump at that mileage?

I suppose there are some long term storage/lack of use issues that can come up but throwing that many parts at an engine that will go 100K with nothing but oil changes (and the aforementioned plug wire issues) is just introducing the potential for screwing other things up inadvertently.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote