Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #1

GM Torque-Converter Lock-up

Yesterday morning after refueling the tranny didn't do the lockup in any gear for the rest of the day. Now today it is working properly. This happened mysteriously in the same way several years back. Is this just a mischief nite thing that will go away? Anybody know?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Chief, I expect that you could always call one of our sponsor service centers for a little chat about the issue. They won't bite and they know these systems.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I will assume that you have GM tranny and not an Allison. There is a solenoid in the trans that runs the lockup function. The usual malfunction, when the solenoid goes south, is the lockup does not drop out. I replaced one years ago in a Monte Carlo SS I had with an after market version for $35, GM want $75 for the same part.

OBTW - The solenoid is accessible by dropping the pan.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #4

Oemy, thanks. I have the 4 speed GM tranny. I have done very little towing and generally travel lightly and never at the speed limit, as I have the J71 AAPB that requires travel in the Granny lane. Again it is that the converter refused to lock-up. And on a restart the following day it operated normally. Now on my '95 Yukon the lock-up went out and never came back even after trying some Seafoam along with fluid change. The mechanic said some 7 years ago that the solenoid on the Yukon was internal and relatively costly to repair. As it wasn't really using much more fuel and had become a "back-up" vehicle I have chosen to drive it as is, since it also saw service in northern Maine and Franklin County NY and the metal has been sheeting away. I suppose that my concern with the tranny in the motorhome is that is this the way that all GM trannies go? I've got nearly 400,000 miles on the '88 Sierra pick-up and it still works purr-fect.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
I've got nearly 400,000 miles on the '88 Sierra pick-up and it still works purr-fect.
That's something there Chief!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote