Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #15

To pull engine depends on what is on top of chassis and what tools you have available.. many times.. if you look.. one can see where the front cap is 2 pieces.. top and bottom.. they hide the bolts under trim.. so on mine.. just pull the beauty trim .. un bolt the bottom and it comes out the front.. after you pull anything out of the way.. so look under hood and see if you see 2 pieces and the bolts inside.. then rent a hand engine hoist and bring out front.. when you get trans un bolted and supported.. save about 15k.. case of beverage and some friends.. and she is out.. hardest thing really.. is deciding what to fill the hole back up with.. stroker 555 or 590.. or just go Cummings turbo or not to turbo... that is the question.. too many choices..
Good luck and keep us posted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 05:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie23 View Post
We recently purchased a 2003 National Sea Breeze with 46k miles that the owner said had been in storage for 7 years. The owner had replaced the roof, tires and batteries but the engine did not run. We purchased it "as is" and after we towed it home and pulled the head gasket off we discovered metal shavings in the cylinders. We are looking for a company to replace the engine, but have discovered that few companies want to work on class A homes and fewer (none?) want to take on a job of this magnitude. What advice can you give so I can move forward? Grateful for all suggestions!
Wow! Metal shavings topside? Got any pictures of the "shavings"? Did you put a magnet to them?
Old 02-07-2023, 02:40 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Newbie23 where are you located? Are you working on the 8.1L? Not sure what you paid for the RV, but what you have is probably very sound and might be worth an engine rebuild. If the cylinder walls are not damaged, then a top end repair will not be that much and I am sure you can do it yourself.
Julia2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I had this same set of symptoms on a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix 455. It was a cracked head. Might just need to replace/rebuild the heads. Take them to a rebuild shop and they can xray (or what ever you call the process) and find any cracks. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
I had this same set of symptoms on a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix 455. It was a cracked head. Might just need to replace/rebuild the heads. Take them to a rebuild shop and they can xray (or what ever you call the process) and find any cracks. Good luck.
Magnaflux.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:40 PM   #20

Why do people right away want to bad mouth an older camper?
Old 02-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Magnaflux.
Thanks! I couldn't remember that to save my life.
m.elliott63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakTruk View Post
........I've always wondered how a Workhorse engine swap would work. .
Assuming it is a W series and not the P Series chassis, it is easier to drop the solid front axle and related suspension and take the motor out the gapping hole left there. The P series used a much more complicated IFS, and so they "usually" take it out thru the windshield or driver's door, if there is one.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:08 PM   #23

just looked at a 2003 sea breeze on rvtrader and by the looks of it the best bet for removal might be to remove one of the windshields and pull it out that way.as someone else asked where are you located.that would help find someone that might be able to help ya.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:58 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

Several posts have been removed for discussing the actions of moderators in the open forum. Per the Community Rules, if you have questions or concerns about moderator actions use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page to contact an admin.
Quote:
Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact a forum administrator.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:54 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Thanks, but I don't have the knowledge or desire to attempt something like that by myself. I cannot find anyone in the central FL area that wants to even consider this big of a job.
newbie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2005 View Post
Newbie23 where are you located? Are you working on the 8.1L? Not sure what you paid for the RV, but what you have is probably very sound and might be worth an engine rebuild. If the cylinder walls are not damaged, then a top end repair will not be that much and I am sure you can do it yourself.
I am in Orlando and have not found any person or company that would consider this job. The four cylinders we exposed when took the head off all had shavings in them, That's pretty solid evidence the motor is history. Wish I knew what made it do that at 47K!
Old 02-16-2023, 06:43 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie23 View Post
I am in Orlando and have not found any person or company that would consider this job. The four cylinders we exposed when took the head off all had shavings in them, That's pretty solid evidence the motor is history. Wish I knew what made it do that at 47K!
It is NOT solid evidence the engine is history. Metal on TOP of a piston doesn't necessarily condemn anything below the top of the piston.

Clean the top to check for big gouges or cracks in the piston top. Slowly turn the crank and inspect the cylinder walls.

I think there is a good possibility the pistons, block, crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods and associated bearings are GOOD!

Are the shavings aluminum? Are they steel?

Debris on top of the piston in all likelihood came from the intake manifold through an intake valve.

Inspect the intake manifold and heads for evidence that the shavings came from there. Pictures of the top(s) of the piston(s) with the shaving would be helpful for us to help you.

Until you know the source of the foreign material in the engine you are shooting blind. Understanding the source may be the difference between buying a couple rebuilt cylinder heads at about $750 each and fairly minimal labor and a complete engine for $Ks and another $Ks to install it! If the heads are not cracked you can probably find a local automotive machine shop that will recondition the heads for a lot less than rebuilt heads.

Don't despair...figure out where the junk came from!!!
Old 02-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
It is NOT solid evidence the engine is history. Metal on TOP of a piston doesn't necessarily condemn anything below the top of the piston.

Clean the top to check for big gouges or cracks in the piston top. Slowly turn the crank and inspect the cylinder walls.

I think there is a good possibility the pistons, block, crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods and associated bearings are GOOD!

Are the shavings aluminum? Are they steel?

Debris on top of the piston in all likelihood came from the intake manifold through an intake valve.

Inspect the intake manifold and heads for evidence that the shavings came from there. Pictures of the top(s) of the piston(s) with the shaving would be helpful for us to help you.

Until you know the source of the foreign material in the engine you are shooting blind. Understanding the source may be the difference between buying a couple rebuilt cylinder heads at about $750 each and fairly minimal labor and a complete engine for $Ks and another $Ks to install it! If the heads are not cracked you can probably find a local automotive machine shop that will recondition the heads for a lot less than rebuilt heads.

Don't despair...figure out where the junk came from!!!
Thank you for the feedback and giving me hope! I will check it out further!

Tags
advice, engine