Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 36 foot dolphin mh with 38753 miles on it. I have been looking at a service plan from good sams. The plan has a $500 deductible, and includes all major components except belts plugs ect. The plan costs $913 a year. Does anyone have any experence with service plans. Are they worth getting. Is $913 a year a good price. The reason I started looking into the plan is a couple months ago I had the rv's tcm go bad and it cost over $1400 to get it fixed.
rednlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 36 foot dolphin mh with 38753 miles on it. I have been looking at a service plan from good sams. The plan has a $500 deductible, and includes all major components except belts plugs ect. The plan costs $913 a year. Does anyone have any experence with service plans. Are they worth getting. Is $913 a year a good price. The reason I started looking into the plan is a couple months ago I had the rv's tcm go bad and it cost over $1400 to get it fixed.
rednlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I had Good Sam's on my 2000 Winni Adventurer just for the peace of mind. The way things cost these days, iit could pay for it'self on the first breakdown. As soon as the factory warrenty runs out on mine, I plan on doing it again.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the CSP from Good Sam.

I used it once for an "O" ring transmission leak repair (on the pump cover) two years ago. It required the transmission removal/replace at an Allison facility. Worked fine for me. I'm now in my third year of coverage-- makes me sleep well at nights.

My price is slightly less than your quoted price-- $773.86/yr, with $250 deductible. My rig has 34,200 miles on it now--

(seals and "O" rings are only covered until the rig is 5 years old- I just made it )

Good luck,
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This is an insurance policy, which is inherently a gamble. You would be betting that you have at least $1413 worth of covered repairs every year (%500 deductible + $913 premium) while the insured (Good Sam/Affinity Corp) is betting you will not. They have the statistics to back up their gamble - they know that on average you will not have anywhere near that much covered expenses and they will make money on such policies.

If the refrigerator dies or you have a transmission or engine failure you break even or win easily. For most other things you will not.

Frankly, I think in a 2002 gas chassis motorhome you are better off banking the money and paying your own repairs. The odds of a really large expense are relatively low and the high deductible makes it hard to recover much on more routine repairs.

Diesels have a somewhat greater risk of ultra-expensive repairs, so the decision might be different. It all depends on the premium and the deductible.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
We pay for health insurance in case we get sick and need it. Chances are we wouldn't get sick enough each year to warrant the payments but we have the insurance anyway. We have insurance on our vehicles in case there's an accident but most of the time, we drive for years with no accidents. So as far as I'm concerned, this insurance policy - the extended warranty - is just another insurance policy that I pay for that gives me peace of mind. Could I pay for a catastrophic illness? Yes. Would I want to? No. Could I buy a new rig or car if I had a wreck? Yes. Would I want to? No. Could I pay for a major repair on my rig? Yes. Would I want to? No. So . . . I'll pay my $79 bucks a month to Good Sam for the few years that I'll be out here on the road.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
We pay for health insurance in case we get sick and need it. Chances are we wouldn't get sick enough each year to warrant the payments but we have the insurance anyway. We have insurance on our vehicles in case there's an accident but most of the time, we drive for years with no accidents. So as far as I'm concerned, this insurance policy - the extended warranty - is just another insurance policy that I pay for that gives me peace of mind. Could I pay for a catastrophic illness? Yes. Would I want to? No. Could I buy a new rig or car if I had a wreck? Yes. Would I want to? No. Could I pay for a major repair on my rig? Yes. Would I want to? No. So . . . I'll pay my $79 bucks a month to Good Sam for the few years that I'll be out here on the road.
Amen Sister! Rangers lead the way! Recon!
Ace_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've always had the opinion that insurance is for risks that I really can't afford to take. So, because it would ruin us to have to pay for major illness or injury I buy health insurance. I had life and disability insurance when I was young for similar reasons.

But breakdowns in my RV? Naaah. I'd grumble if it happened, then pay up or dump the thing. Almost by definition the odds are against coming out ahead or the insurers could never make a profit. I'll go with the odds (no service insurance), grumble if I lose, but probably come out ahead at a risk I can take. Not to mention the potential that they will give you a hard time when it's time to pay up, or will go out of business, or claim such and such is not covered (read the fine print), etc.

Each to his own. While I'm still under warranty maybe I'll start a slush fund for repairs, maybe $750 a year...
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Good Sams insurance on my motor home. $750.00 with $250.00 deductible. I renewed my 2nd. year because in Jan. 09 my drivers slide out failed. The repair bill was 2,365.72. $1800.00 of that was labor. They had to completly remove the slide out replace the slide bar and reinstall the slide. So for now I`m ahead!!
Don & Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
This is an insurance policy, which is inherently a gamble. You would be betting that you have at least $1413 worth of covered repairs every year (%500 deductible + $913 premium) while the insured (Good Sam/Affinity Corp) is betting you will not. They have the statistics to back up their gamble - they know that on average you will not have anywhere near that much covered expenses and they will make money on such policies.
We call insurance a gamble ant the insurance companies call it a business.I think the odds are against us.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote