Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grade brake

I have a 2005 Pace Arrow, 36D, Workhorse Chassis, W24, 8.1L. I am looking at updating to a newer unit. My understanding it that GM has stopped or will soon be stopping production of the Workhorse chassis, thus leaving only Ford in the market for gassers. I have been extremely happy with the grade brake on my workhorse. We did a 11,000 mile coast-to-coast, six month trip last year and I put the grade brakes to the test while out West. I was not disappointed. I was very confident knowing that the grade brake system is designed to allow upshifting of the Allison tranny to prevent damage from engine over revving. Are we only left with the option of manually down shifting the Ford transmission and watching the engine rpm or is there anything in the works for Ford to come up with an alternative to the GM grade brake? Has anyone heard of an aftermarket product available or in development for the Ford product?
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Workhorse has been gone from the scene for several years. Ford f53 chassis has a tow/haul feature, which does essentially what the workhorse grade brake did.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Here you go Telma - Frictionless Braking Systems
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Actually GM sold Workhorse years ago; long before they went bankrupt. Workhorse was eventually sold to Navistar and I believe Navistar shut it down completely.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
Actually GM sold Workhorse years ago; long before they went bankrupt. Workhorse was eventually sold to Navistar and I believe Navistar shut it down completely.

Mike
Sorry Mike, but since GM never owned WCC, that isn't possible. Workhorse (WCC) bought the Chevy chassis business from GM in 1999.

It is true that, after Navistar bought WCC from its original owner (2005), Navistar closed it down in 2012.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Here is a post that I posted earlier this summer about the Tow/Haul feature on the Ford F53 with the V10 Triton

We just travelled from Kamloops BC over the Rocky Mountains to Whistler BC via highway 99 south. For 3 hrs we travelled over narrow windy roads with over 1000 ft drops on either side with very few guard rails to stop us if we had an incident. I was surprised to see 10% grades but seeing lots of 13% and and at least one 15% grade I was wishing for the 10% again. I have to say that the tow/haul feature on our 2012 daybreak with the F53 / v10 triton engine worked like a charm. We also had our toad in tow. I only used the brakes very sparingly.
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #7

Grandpa,
I have a 2005 36D as well, only mine is on a Workhorse W22 chassis. I didn't realize they were available on both W22 and W24 platforms.
I agree with you on the grade brake. Fantastic feature on the Allison tranny. Works like a charm...and if I were to buy another gasser, that would be a "must-have".

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry Mike, but since GM never owned WCC, that isn't possible. Workhorse (WCC) bought the Chevy chassis business from GM in 1999.

It is true that, after Navistar bought WCC from its original owner (2005), Navistar closed it down in 2012.
Ed
Ed, thanks for the correction; I knew that but it had completely slipped my mind. I seem to remember now that Workhorse was created by the owners of Union City Body which used the GM chassis to build their delivery vans; of course the way my memory is I could be completely wrong.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake