Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

growl from front of engine

Today I was driving into Denver on I76 and hit construction. Traffic stopped and then crawled for about an hour at 1 - 5 MPH. When I arrived at the campground in Denver and the engine dropped to an idle I got a growling sound from teh front of the engine like a bearing or pulley going bad. I parked and after everything had cooled off I restarted the engine and the growl was perceptible but much less than before. Any ideas on the cause? I changed my serpentine belt about 2000 miles ago on this prreswent trip but did not replace the idler pulley.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When your in traffic and AC is on the two fans in front of radiator are going to growl and loudly. Once the radiator is cooled noise should fade.
If it has a squeak also it could be your idling pulley
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Could be the compressor clutch on the A/C unit. Does the noise change when you engage and disengage the compressor.

Does the noise get any louder if you step on the brake?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Chances are you're hearing your fan moving a lot of air for the first time. The sound is comparable to a growl.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #5

Engine Growl

Driver, I didn't check about the AC compressor. When we pull out on Tuesday I will check that. The growl was most noticeable at idle. As soon as the engine is reved up it diminishes. It's not the cooling fan, that's a different roar that I familiar with. I ran the steering wheel back and forth and the sound didn't change so I don't think it's the power steering pump.

There's a Workhorse service center in Colorado Springs which is only a few hours south of here. I think I will contact them on Monday and see if I can get it in on Tuesday or Wednesday for a checkup.

thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
It could be the serpentine belt idler pulley. The xref part numbers are on my Free Web Site Engine Parts

Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #7

Thanks Oemy, I didn't change it with the serpentine belt so that may be the problem. Hopefully Workhorse Colorado Springs can pinpoint it and do the repairs.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossy View Post
Thanks Oemy, I didn't change it with the serpentine belt so that may be the problem.
Oemy knows!

Please let us know what the service center found out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #9

Growl from Front of Engine

Well Driver was right on the money. As soon as I got to Colorado Springs I stopped in at ATS, the Workhorse Service Center here. they said they could get it in the next morning so bright and early I was on their doorstep. Fortunately the engine was making the said noise when I arrived so I left it running and grabbed a mechanic. He popped the hood and said "your ac compressor is going south."

So we parked the rig, and they proceeded to order the part which had to come from Reno. I sprung for overnight express since it was already Thursday and I didn't want to enjoy their hospitality all weekend. This morning the compressor came in and just after noon they had it finished. In the meantime I had them check the brakes since one of my sets of duallys was running 10 - 15 degrees hotter than the other side. They pulled the wheels and the brakes were fine but they went ahead and lubed the slides, etc. All is now well.

To all, I would highly recommend ATS in Colorado Springs, CO. They got me in right away and had the rig fixed in one days time. The prices were fair and they allowed me to plug in for the night and also had water available if I needed it. They were very courteous and professional. I will also give them a high rating on teh Workhorse website.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy - Undergoing same problem right now. RV center said air cond compressor. Noise stops when air turned "on" - quits when off. Hoping to get 400 miles back home over the weekend.

Did they replace the clutch or the whole compressor??
Thanks

Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
AC compressors can seize when they don't get used. Not to say this is why your's quit, but it's always a good idea to run the air conditioner even in the winter. Especially when sitting in storage, or during winter traveling when it doesn't get used that much.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossy View Post
Well Driver was right on the money.
... I only learn of these things when I can observe them first hand. Ed Gray had such a failure and he was parked next to me so I observed and learned.

Typically the clutches are not replaceable and they exchange the compressor as a complete unit -- to answer a follow on question.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #13

They replaced the compressor and dryer. I suppose you could just replace the clutch but we did the whole unit.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[quote=Flossy; [/quote]

"To all, I would highly recommend ATS in Colorado Springs, CO."

Hey Flossy since good svc can be hard to find around here sometimes,
Do you have any more info on this 'ATS in Colorado Springs' ?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote