Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #1

Have you ever been towed?

I was just wondering, I have a 2005 W24 and some day I may have to call a tow truck. How would I know if the tow truck driver new what he was doing.
Did Workhorse ever state the proper way to tow a W24 with J72 auto brake?
Has anyone ever sustained damage from being towed?
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #2

I had my W25.5 towed 120 miles in TX by a coach net contractor. I was pleased with the wrecker, driver, and job. Driveline must be disconnected to tow any distance or speed. Other accommodations depending on damage can be required.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Previous coach towed twice. First time the driver removed the driveshaft and all was fine. Second time the driver started to remove the driveshaft, but then did not, and towed the coach across town. Messed up the auto park brake. Tow company paid to repair.

You are doing the right thing to learn the proper way, so as to ensure it's done right should the occasion arise.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Yep, proper way is to remove the drive shaft on a gas pusher. Been towed twice and that was the procedure each time. If the tow driver won't or can't do it, get another tow driver.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #5

Not towed put on a low boy trailer

last year on the Alaska Hwy we had an issue with our oil cooler and rather than risk additional damage used Good Sam and we were transported from Watson Lake to Whitehorse around 280 miles. Damage was through the tie down straps on the front end. Rubbed the paint and scratched the body surface. Was not present when loaded or unloaded. Had to be in Alaska and so used our toad to get us there. Not many options on this route, had to take what we could get. RV is a 2005 37 foot Beaver diesel pusher. almost 6 weeks for the repair to be completed at the only cat dealership in Whitehorse. Very high prices and was later told that I could have continued to drive without doing additional damage. Obviously towing options are more numerous when you are in the US, or major Canadian cities, but we were happy to get home. Moral of the story is to make sure you are present when tow truck, or low boy is loading your RV.
coldcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Previous coach towed twice. First time the driver removed the driveshaft and all was fine. Second time the driver started to remove the driveshaft, but then did not, and towed the coach across town. Messed up the auto park brake. Tow company paid to repair.

You are doing the right thing to learn the proper way, so as to ensure it's done right should the occasion arise.
Once towed and drive shaft was not properly disconnected - tow company replaced autopark brake shoes and cable due to heat damage.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #7

its not only the autopark but the allison 1000 and 2100 are not made to be towed with out the motor running and i was told it well soon kill the trans

so its just all ways safe to pull the drive shaft
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got towed and have two more tows to go it seems (Blown engine, I have a croud funding page for repair)

Driver dropped the drive shaft, used a stinger tow with special brackets that matched the font axle.. Job was very well done. Next two tows they won't have to drop the shaft,,, it is still locked in basement storage. (one to a camp ground while I raise $$ and another back to shop for fix)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38' W24 with J72 Park Brake. August 2013 we were travelling on the northern peninsula in Newfoundland, Canada when our park brake engaged and would not release. We were stranded on the side of the highway. Put out my warning triangles and called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. They connected me with a technician to try to help me release the brake. Unfortunately he knew more about the J71 than the J72. He told me it was cable applied and to release the pin on the cable. I told him it was definitely hydraulic, so he told me to undo the hydraulic line and it would release. In trying to un-screw the "corroded" fitting of course it twisted off. As I now know the brake is spring applied and hydraulically released. So now definitely no way to release the brake. Good Sam called a tow truck. The tow operator called me and asked if I had a solid front axle and the length of my rig. Said he would take about 2 hours to get to me as he was coming from about 210 kilometers (130 miles) away. He arrived about 10:30 PM with a tandem axle tow truck with rear stinger for towing big rigs. With flashlights I helped him hook up my MH. Most posts above refer to "removing" the driveshaft. All that needs to done is to disconnect the driveshaft at the rear differential and secure it up to the chassis. My MH had to be towed 290 KM (180 miles) to Deer Lake, Newfoundland where a truck service center had to remove my park brake as they did not know how to get it released. I would like to give kudos to Good Sam and to Pittman Motors towing service of Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland for a job well done.

Anyway to answer your initial question: Disconnecting the driveshaft at the rear differential is the only way to tow safely with no damage to transmission or park brake. Also a tow truck capable of lifting your MH by the front axle is absolutely necessary. Hope this helps.
Kickenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine was towed twice by same driver. He disconnected the driveshaft, but he also bent a strut double. Ones for my rig are no longer made so we had to have some fabricated. I can't figure out what he did to damage the strut. The tow truck was basically a heavy duty personal vehicle truck. If we hadn't been out by the side of the road on significant heat on a holiday weekend, I might have tried to get a big tow truck.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had ours towed and while disconecting the drive shaft the driver broke the universal. The towing company replaced it at no cost to me.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoutoor View Post
I was just wondering, I have a 2005 W24 and some day I may have to call a tow truck. How would I know if the tow truck driver new what he was doing.
Did Workhorse ever state the proper way to tow a W24 with J72 auto brake?
Has anyone ever sustained damage from being towed?
ktoutoor
My coach has been towed twice.
Once 25+ miles with the front lifted and the drive shaft removed.
Once backwards 75 feet out of a mud hole, (where it was impossible to disconnect the drive shaft).
No damage either time.
Mel
'96 Safari, 35' DP
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow