Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
There was a vendor (RALLYS "R" US, INC.) at the FMCA Convention selling Hellwig anti-sway bars for the front and rear application. Their price seems a little high but having the convience of on-the-spot installation was tempting. But I passed on the deal.

Was wonderning if anyone has experience with Hellwig and what is the recommendation.

Here is a link:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...7.html#ITEMIMG
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
There was a vendor (RALLYS "R" US, INC.) at the FMCA Convention selling Hellwig anti-sway bars for the front and rear application. Their price seems a little high but having the convience of on-the-spot installation was tempting. But I passed on the deal.

Was wonderning if anyone has experience with Hellwig and what is the recommendation.

Here is a link:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...7.html#ITEMIMG
Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know you may be using a relatively close representation of a W22 sway bar in your post however the W Series sway bar does not have the smaller links and the diameter of the bar itself is about 3 times thicker than what is shown. The color of the Hellwig bar is a deep luster orange color similar to what could be called a chrome yellow.

I know Chip from Rallys-R-Us and he has a loyal following of customers. I often run into him across the country as I go from rally to rally.

Although I haven't opted for the anti-sway bar setup Chip offers, I do use front and rear track bars, a Safe-T-Plus and Koni FSD shock absorbers. I also changed my front stabilizer (big square tube in front between the springs) to a 2.5" unit.

About my mods, they work very well and I am very pleased with the ride I get with my motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
...using a relatively close representation of a W22 sway bar in your post however the W Series sway bar does not have the smaller links and the diameter of the bar itself is about 3 times thicker than what is shown. The color of the Hellwig bar is a deep luster orange color similar to what could be called a chrome yellow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct, what I saw at Perry was orange and the web link stated that the picture was not an "exact" representation of each specific model.

However, after reading your posting I now need to review the difference btw anti-sway and track.

Tnx.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
DriVer, where did you get your 2.5" front stabilizer bar and what was the cost. Thanks, Rick
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well....here is my story, I now enjoy driving my 35' Newmar on the W-22 chassis, and I have Hellwig anti sway bars front and rear, along with a version of "Dales" rear trac bar, a Hellwig front trac bar, and Monroe gas shocks on all four corners. For what it is worth, in hindsite, I should have started with the rear trac bar and shocks first. Hellwig products can be purchased from JC Whitney's. I have a little over $400.00 in both the front and rear sway bars...I installed them myself, with a few phone calls to Hellwig in Visalia, CA. "The Man" to speak with is Cliff. He worked up all the applications for the motor homes. I found Hellwig to be very helpful, even though I bought their bars through JC Whitney.

RRB
Mr Near Purrrfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So what's the deal with all you guys and anti-sway bars, true-trak, etc. Although I do notice a very small movement when a large truck passes me, from the wave of air they push in front of them, it isn't that bad. Our rig doesn't seem to sway or bounce around as it sounds like from some of your descriptions.

So why does it seem so many are adding these suspension options? Our rig is totally factory.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
So what's the deal with all you guys and anti-sway bars, true-trak, etc. Although I do notice a very small movement when a large truck passes me, from the wave of air they push in front of them, it isn't that bad. Our rig doesn't seem to sway or bounce around as it sounds like from some of your descriptions.

So why does it seem so many are adding these suspension options? Our rig is totally factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You are lucky Bob. Not all of us have an RV that is impervious to sway. I wish mine was. So I purchased mechanical support to bring me back to a level of safety I want. I certainly didn't do it because I enjoy overkill or wasting money.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
DriVer, where did you get your 2.5" front stabilizer bar and what was the cost. Thanks, Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>2.5" Front Stabilizer Bar - W0005643 - (this stabilizer bar is standard on most 2004 and later chassis)

Customization Kits are installed by Workhorse Dealers

To determine if a Workhorse Dealer near you installs this kit, click the link below to locate the dealer. They will be able to help you decide on what is best for you and your coach.

Find A Custom Install Dealer

You must obtain the parts through a Workhorse dealer, as far as I know they don't sell directly to owners.

Now here's the the follow up to your request. Getting the sway bar might be easier than getting a torque wrench that can apply 450 lbs/ft of torque to the bolts.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):

So why does it seem so many are adding these suspension options? Our rig is totally factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It has got to be a matter of driving style, expectations, and the luck of the coach layout. Just between our two RVs, yours a 04 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36B, mine a 02 Fleetwood Southwind 35R, both with W22 chassis. Yours is stock, mine have shocks, anti-sway and front track bar. Each of mine was added to correct a driving deficiency, at least to my wife and I. I figure if she can tell the difference before and after, it was worth the upgrade.

Everyone brings there own expectations of how things should behave. My father in-law loved how his Cadillacs drove and handled. To me they were unresponsive, poorly suspended and drove like boats. He though my cars handled fine but rode too harshly. Both of us were right, in my opinion. If he was happy, great.

Have you ever ridden in someone else's car that needed new shocks. The bouncing at stops almost made me sick, but he was total unaware and fine with the car. Even after I mentioned it, he never bothered to do anything about it. Don't think he couldn't afford new shocks? He make over $150K, and was driving a BMW 730.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
So why does it seem so many are adding these suspension options? Our rig is totally factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>For the very same reasons you choose Ultrapower.