Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Help Please, starting problem

Hi i have this 1985 allegro with chevy 454 and I been having trouble getting it to start, I put in new oil, new tranny fluid, new alternator, battery, new fluid pump and filter and have no idea what else it can be. This Allegro been sitting for 7 years if that help with anything. Please Help
Bubblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

Need to determine if it's fuel related or spark related? Could be timing?

Best of luck i finding a solution.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

I feel dumb to ask but whats fuel related and spark related
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblez View Post
I feel dumb to ask but whats fuel related and spark related
Does the engine turn over/crank with the starter?

In order to run the engine needs fuel/gasoline to get into the cylinders. '87 probably has a throttle body injection instead of a carburetor that delivers the fuel to the cylinders.

Once the fuel is in the cylinders it requires a spark to fire the fuel. In a '87 that is probably accomplished through a High Energy Ignition, that produces an electrical charge that is sent to the spark plugs. That needs to be timed in the correct relationship to the position of the piston in order for the engine to fire and run.

Might be better to find a mechanic locally if you are not very mechanically inclined. JMHO
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
what he (dt39) is saying all you need to make an engine run is fuel, spark and air . With air cleaner off open the throttle and see if you see or hear gas if so fuel is good next pull a spark plug boot off put a large screw driver in it and lay the screw driver on something metal ( exhaust manifold or frame ) this unit will have a hei ignition -20,000 volts hurts but won't kill you if you see a spark from screw driver to metal you have spark.Next you may have to buy or rent a compression gauge check all 8 cyl. 110 psi minimum. and on and on timing ect. if in fact it has been sitting a long time it is possible valves stuck ,rings not sealing anymore compression test will tell a lot
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

It don't turn over, its acting like the battery is dead but the battery new
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Check the battery cables all the way to the starter.

Can you hear the starter motor running or a click when you try to start it?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Are your fuel filters new too? Did you clean out the gas tank and put new gas in it? I agree com the last few posts that I would clean up the ends of the battery terminals with a wire brush and check all my wires and connections, including the plug wires and distributor . Had to ask about the gas and fuel filters as any 7 year old gas would have turned to varnish by now and wouldn't work for you.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Any signs of power at all? Do you have a kill switch?

Maybe it's just seized after sitting for 7 years? I would remove the plugs and try to manually turn it over first. If you can turn it over by hand then you should look more closely at the starter. Once (if) you can crank it then start worrying about fuel, air and spark.
dirtmover is offline   Reply With Quote