Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

Henderson Brake rotors

Does anyone have experience with these new rotors which are not supposed to crack?

Before we left home last month when I had our rear tires removed for repair I had a tech look over my brakes. He said the pads will need changing soon (I think they will last till the caliper recall occurs). But the tech said that the rotors would need replacing as they could not be turned due to the cracks. The cracks are not the deep, long cracks, but the small crazy looking cracks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
The cracks are not the deep, long cracks, but the small crazy looking cracks.
DancinCampers, The cracks that you are writing about are completely normal. The more heat that is generated by the interaction between the pad and the rotor the more heat will be produced thereby introducing heating and contraction.

When you see a night Cup race you will notice that when the drivers are on the brakes - the rotors will glow. When they get off the brakes the rotors soon loose their cherry red color.

The same can be said about our brakes. When used under normal operating conditions our vehicles should never get to the point where an extraordinary rotor is required especially a 272.00 rotor.

Therefore the key to longevity is to use your Grade Brake and or select shifting, anticipate stopping well before hand, use an auxiliary brake and apply the brakes on for a few seconds and off for a few seconds.

If I had Z rated tires and no speed limiter, you bet your bippy I'd want Henderson or drilled and slotted rotors because there would be a NEED for high performance equipment.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check the Brake Rotor Thread post #4.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks Dale

I guess my interest is whether to use my current rotors, replace with OEM or upgrade when I replace the pads.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DancinCampers

When I had a choice between eating and replacing rotors I chose to eat. If you are replacing calipers and pads and the rotors cannot be turn I would replace the rotors if at all possible.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The Henderson rotors are super. I bought a set at Quartzite and was looking foreword to installing them with the recall but gave up waiting and traded off the coach, Henderson’s quite understood and took them back and gave me a refund. If I had kept the unit I would have used them on the front when I changed out to the "promised" calipers.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
The Henderson rotors are super. I bought a set at Quartzite and was looking foreword to installing them with the recall but gave up waiting and traded off the coach, Henderson’s quite understood and took them back and gave me a refund. If I had kept the unit I would have used them on the front when I changed out to the "promised" calipers.
Congratulations on your new rig, smart move.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Check the Brake Rotor Thread post #4.
Dale--Will the Brake Bleeder screws FIT The NEW Calibers, when the upgrade is completed??
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueii View Post
Dale--Will the Brake Bleeder screws FIT The NEW Calibers, when the upgrade is completed??
Yes.... the caliper won't change.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Yes.... the caliper won't change.
Agree!

My Oemy's "Super" Speed Bleeders are only going to be installed on the NextGen calipers.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #11

To me the Henderson rotors are a bit pricey at $272 a pop plus shipping. Brake Performance sells a PAIR of slotted and dimpled rotors with pads and FREE shipping for about $300 or about $150 per.

I have no stake in Brake Performance or Henderson and only add this for comparison.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #12

Like Driver , I to have my "speed bleeders" sitting on my desk awaiting the promised , yet unseen, new calipers.