RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Hi all

A little help, I heard your the people who would know. I have a 26', 2001 Winnebago I just bought, it's on a workhorse chassis and a Chevy 8.1 engine.

I recently took the motorhome to Death Valley (live in Reno NV) for a shake down run, I was all over the road. Looked underneath it, saw the front sway bar bushings were gone. That's when I started looking for a replacement. I bought a Roadmaster (a big beefeater of a swaybar) from Etrailer.com, it fits a P32. I just called them to tell them I ordered the wrong item (there was only two bushings in the kit. With this one, the control arm was drilled out for the end of the sway bar, instead of a bushing) mine needs 4 bushings.

I found a work order, it said it was a Workhorse P 32 Base (whatever that means) the dealer info. I had says it's a WPF26P. It's is VIN# 5B4KP57G013328531. So what do you think, is it a P32 Base or a WPF26P?

Who do you buy your parts on the internet from,just asking?
RLFunston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your VIN indicates a P-32 Chassis
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/pho...5/2009_VIN.PNG
I have had very good luck With Ulta Products for Workhorse parts - they are also great with questions or advice.
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
well, it does look like a 2001 workhorse frame. That is unusual, normally the frame is one year behind the model of the coach. But, according to your vin number, it looks like a 2001. My coach is a 2005, but the frame is a 2004 P32 workhorse.
Ultra RV is a great place to get workhorse parts. I little expensive, but the carry a lot of parts. I believe another place for sway equipment would be SuperSteer. https://supersteerparts.com/products...-diameter.html Might give them a try.
Workhorse P32 parts keep getting harder to find. Now for the engine, that is not a big problem, since it is a chevy 8.1. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #4

P30/32 were known to have problems with the steering bell crank too, so if you have a lot of play in the steering that's the first place I would look. There is an upgraded part available, from Henderson's I believe.

Scroll down the following thread for more details:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/loo...ts-136191.html
Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 AM   #5

There is no beefier sway bar for the 2001+ P32 with wide track front end, though there is the front spreader bar that works with the factory front sway bar to move the sway bar mounting points outward to correct for poor original geometry.

p.s. Brazels / Ultra RV products has a urethane sway bar bushing kit for your coach, as well as the spreader bar kit. Though of course you may still have other suspension issues.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

Thanks for all the help guy's. So what is a "wide body" and is that what I have?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFunston View Post
A little help, I heard your the people who would know. I have a 26', 2001 Winnebago I just bought, it's on a workhorse chassis and a Chevy 8.1 engine.........

I found a work order, it said it was a Workhorse P 32 Base (whatever that means) the dealer info. I had says it's a WPF26P. It's is VIN# 5B4KP57G013328531. So what do you think, is it a P32 Base or a WPF26P?

Who do you buy your parts on the internet from,just asking?
That vin # is for a 2001 P32 with 14,800 pound GVWR. According to the build sheet, it has a 5,500 pound front axle and 5,500 pound front independent suspension rating. There is no mention of it being a "wide track" chassis. The good news is that it does not have the J71 AAPB system.
The ONLY record in the warranty repairs database is for replacing the "burned up" tranny on 11/20/2002 @ 7,639 miles.

As others have said, www.URVP.com is the best place to get the correct parts, they use your vin # to get the right parts the first time.

I'm guessing your "WPF26P" is the Winnebago COACH model designation.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guy's. So what is a "wide body" and is that what I have?
No sir, I don't think so. According to the WCC published Chassis Guide, the "wide track" chassis ( 82.95" wide ) were only on those chassis with 15,000 pound GVWR and higher. The 14,800 pound GVWR and below models are 69.7" wide.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #9

What they're referring to is the front track. When Workhorse took over the chassis from GM they redesigned the front suspension and moved the front wheels further out.

Here's an early one:

https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1999Che...P3035Motorhome

vs. later wide-track:

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/56690150
Old 11-22-2020, 03:31 AM   #10

To put all that another way, the wide track front end has the front tires inline with the outer rear tires, the traditional narrow track front end has the front tires inline with the inner rear tires.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #11

Thanks, edgray "The good news is that it does not have the J71 AAPB system." (really don't know how to highlight the text that was sent in the post)
I wasn't quite sure what that was, so I looked it up. I was going to get under the RV and tighten up the emergency brake because it goes to the floor. Is there any way of tightening up the J71 AAPB system?
Old 11-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, edgray "The good news is that it does not have the J71 AAPB system." (really don't know how to highlight the text that was sent in the post)
I wasn't quite sure what that was, so I looked it up. I was going to get under the RV and tighten up the emergency brake because it goes to the floor. Is there any way of tightening up the J71 AAPB system?
You don't have the J71 AAPB, so nothing to tighten. I think you should have a foot-applied Parking Brake(PB) or even a hand-lever applied PB, and there "should be" an adjustment somewhere along the cable that applies the drum brake(s) on the rear axle. Those will be your PB.

IF you want the "build sheet" for YOUR chassis, send me an email, so I can attach it to a reply. edgray1@gmail.com
Old 11-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, edgray "The good news is that it does not have the J71 AAPB system." (really don't know how to highlight the text that was sent in the post)......
When you want to quote another member's post, just hit the "quote" button and it will be placed at the beginning of your pending post. Then, if you want to highlight a portion of the other persons post, you roll your cursor across the text you want to highlight and then choose one of the 3 options above, shown as B I U. You may be able to choose more than one, or perhaps all three. Then what you highlighted could look like..... THIS