Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #1

HID Head Light Upgrade Before & After

I just upgraded my head lights to HID Xenon, Wow what a difference.
Installed on a 2005 Winnebago Voyage, Workhorse W24
I made a you-tube video to show the before and after and what i learned during the install.
Video Link
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #2

Cool - big difference and welcome to Irv2

The downside is you have disabled your daytime running lights,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

I figured i can run my HID's on low beam?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoutoor View Post
I figured i can run my HID's on low beam?
True - that will work. I drove with my lights on in the daytime long before there were "daytime running lights" IMHO, it was/is safer.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Wow, you can get this kit for $77 on Amazon! I thought these lights were more like $700.

My "fix" many years ago was to replace the 35 watt bulbs in the Fog lamps with 100 watt halogen. They are dang bright but I can only use them when there's no oncoming traffic.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, I can totally appreciate why you did what you did. My headlights SUCK and I am working through a series of staged upgrades to improve that.

HOWEVER...(Don't you HATE that!?)

I don't mean to be busting your chops but HID lightbulb upgrades are illegal in the US. The biggest reason is that the hot spots for you HID bulbs is not in the same place as your halogen. That means the light hits the reflectors in different places and there is no way you can properly control and aim the light pattern. Don't worry, I don't know where you live and I ain't the headlight police. Anyone doing what you did just needs to be aware of the issues.

The only way to legally convert and ensure you minimize the chance of ticking off oncoming traffic is to replace the headlight assembly or in the case of sealed beam, you can just replace the sealed beams.

The first problem that leads to bad lights (beside poor engineering) is voltage. Depending on your wiring it is very easy to have excessive voltage drop in the wiring system. Typically, in a perfect system you should have about 13.2V at the lights. I have found in my system that my headlights are only getting about 11.8V and even based on 12.8V being nominal under US standards, I'm having a significant drop. I believe that it works out that I am having about a 25% drop in lumens compared to if I was getting 12.8V to the light and since it should get closer to 13.2V I'm having about a 30% drop from what I could be getting.

Whether it is a halogen system, a system like yours or a DOT approved HID system proper voltage is important. Some folks have reported with upgraded HID systems slow reaction to getting low beam up to brightness. While HIDs run on less current, they require a solid current source to the ballast to properly fire the bulb up to specs.

What I plan on doing is installing a relay system with larger gauge wires to apply the most voltage I can to the current lights. Basically, that means I would use the power I currently have to the lights to drive relays that, in turn, will apply voltage from upgraded wiring to the lights. I will be tapping off of + and - lugs up front that use large gauge wires that are directly connect to the alternator system and thus should have 13.2V nominal.

So, if that fixes my problem...DONE. If not...then step 2 is to install new headlight assemblies by Hella.

90mm-xenon-de-low-beam/

For me that means I am lucky that the assembly is a direct replacement to my current 90 mm halogen set.

For background on how I came to this plan see

Daniel Stern Lighting

Again, I am not trying to do anything but suggest alternate solutions that may avoid even needing HID upgrades or better running of an HID system.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #7

I check the voltage fist thing and i was at 13+ volts.
I did look into HID replacement lamp assembly but i never found anyone that made a direct replacement, My lamp assembly is from a Ford truck.

After you make your upgrade it would nice to see a before and after video.
That is why i made this video so others could see what a difference they make, and the video does not do it justice its much better than what it picked up.

I don't have a problem switching from High to Low beam for its the same bulb it just retracts to change position.
I read about the e legal as-specks but i do a lot i night driving and was getting tired of relying on people passing me in order for me to see the road the way i should.

I will know more on my next trip, If people start flashing there lights at me because i am blinding them then i will have to seek another solution.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoutoor View Post
I check the voltage fist thing and i was at 13+ volts. ...
At what points did you measure? Daniel Stern gives some excellent instructions on how to do it properly in the link I provided. I found that if I measured from a bulb connector to ground I appeared to get a better result but it wasn't accurate once I followed his instructions. What his instructions do is to actually the voltage drop along both the + and - power pathways to the bulb connectors or in your case power to the ballasts.

I have been busy with replacing a hot water heater, the front AC, and minor knee surgery so I hope to get the relays installed in the next 45 days. I'm not certain I will be able to put together a video like you did but I will post the end result at each stage.

Again...not trying to bust your chops. If I didn't have any options I would do the same. I have options but the lights cost about $360 EACH!

BTW...Daniel provides option on DRLs. Long story made short, he provides instructions and wiring kits to move DRLs to the driving/park lights to meet Canadian requirements for DRLs. I always drive with my headlights on (thus tail lights to) so DRLs are not a big deal to me.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like it. The stock lamps completely suck.

Subscribed...
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #10

Update, drove from Kentucky to Tucson AZ with no body flashing there head lights at me so I think this is going to work out just fine. When know one is around I put them on high beam and its like driving an air plane, its great. I CAN SEE NOW!!
If anyone wants to do the same and has any questions just call my cell 606-875-0125
Kevin