Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
High/Low Beam Flash Control

I have a 2010 Hurricane with the W-18 chassis. During daytime driving, I'd like to be able to flash my headlights to signal other vehicles, especially trucks, that they have clearance to move into my lane after they have passed. I can't do that now. The stalk control on the steering wheel column only gives me high and low beam control at night, but does not flash the headlights on during the day. Does anyone know whether I can modify the wiring to give me that capability? Thanks. Komac
komac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by komac View Post
Does anyone know whether I can modify the wiring to give me that capability? Thanks.
Komac, What you are referring to is called "flash to pass". We have had members here who have worked on that feature and I would search for those keywords.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I make sure that the headlights are on high beam. When I want to signal I turn the headlights on and off to flash. The lights go from DRL with one headlight lit to bright with two headlights lit and the drivers can see that.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
................. During daytime driving, I'd like to be able to flash my headlights to signal other vehicles, especially trucks, that they have clearance to move into my lane after they have passed. I can't do that now.......... Does anyone know whether I can modify the wiring to give me that capability? Thanks. Komac
You can always turn on, then off, your regular "night time" headlights, and they will replace the DRLs which should be on during normal daytime driving.

FWIW, the customary method used by "most" professional truckers is to turn headlights, or DRLs, OFF when the passing vehicle is clear to return into the lane of the vehicle being passed. Essentially, the absence of lights equates to a vehicle not being there. This is especially preferred at night because flashing the lights from low to high "can" have a blinding effect on the driver looking in his mirrors.

Some coaches are equipped with an "ICC" switch which flashes off any lights that are on, or turns on those that are off. My Newmar had such a switch and I used it to signal my thanks when I had passed a vehicle which had signaled me. Unfortunately, the ICC switch did not affect the DRLs .

I solved the problem of how to momentarily turn off the DRLs by simply pressing very lightly on the foot applied parking brake pedal. NOT enough to engage the brake, but enough to turn off the DRLs. You will be able to see the dash IP symbol for the DRLs go off when you do this, and they will stay off as long as you hold slight pressure on the PB pedal. I've done this 1000s of times with no problems.

Hope this helps, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Driver. I'll look for those key words. What I do now is reach down to the lower left of my instrument panel and turn my headlights on and off, but that is awkward to do. I'd like the flash control on the stalk, just as it was on my three previous motorhomes. Komac
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Edgray. My 2010 Hurricane is on the W-18 chassis. I don't have a foot pedal for the parking brake. I have the pull button at the left of the instrument panel. That's what I use to set the parking brake. Komac
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Edgray. My 2010 Hurricane is on the W-18 chassis. I don't have a foot pedal for the parking brake. I have the pull button at the left of the instrument panel. That's what I use to set the parking brake. Komac
I'm sure you know....but in that case, please don't follow my advice !!!

I would think your best solution is to add a heavy duty "momentary" switch into the circuit for your DRLs which you can use to flash them. The high/low beam switch on the stalk could then be used at night. Safe travels, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion Edgray. A "momentary" switch for the DRLs may be what I'll do. I was hoping that I might be able to make a small modification to the wiring for the control stalk. But there's been no suggestion for that. Komac
Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

I too have wanted this feature. Right now I use the fog light switch which is pretty awkward. I intend on putting in a momentary push-button and a relay hooked to the high beams. We don't drive at night so the high beam option should not be a hazard. I will mount the new switch on the left hand console on the driver door near the mirror controls.
agiledog is offline   Reply With Quote