Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just curious about the dash report of avg mileage. It looks a bit optimistic to me, but thought I would check first.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just curious about the dash report of avg mileage. It looks a bit optimistic to me, but thought I would check first.
Joe
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
In my opinion, it's about as accurate as the "butt dyno". It only uses the last 50 miles or so I am told.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
After 30K+ miles on my coach, I'd say on average (pun intended) it's about 0.5 mpg on the high side. Maybe even 1 mpg high at times. Sometimes pulling real steep hills, it goes bonkers and then reads very high, like 37.5 mpg. Maybe it just slipped a decimal point!
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

In my experience, it's optimistic by 0.5 - 1.0 mpg.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, figured as much. The old fill it and then figure your mileage is a bit chancy too because you rarely can fill it to the same point to be accurate. What is the best method, that doesn't cost $100 or more, to gauge the mjleage?
Joe
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
Sometimes pulling real steep hills, it goes bonkers and then reads very high, like 37.5 mpg. Maybe it just slipped a decimal point! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The data table for the computer that calculates mileage doesn't have data below 4 mpg. When the average mpg drops below 4, the computer starts over at 99.9. This quickly drops (especially if you are still climbing) so the 99.9 is hard to see. Unless you are watching very carefully, you probably won't even notice it until it gets down into the 30s or 40s. It will then eventually drop down to a more reasonable number.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
Well, figured as much. The old fill it and then figure your mileage is a bit chancy too because you rarely can fill it to the same point to be accurate. What is the best method, that doesn't cost $100 or more, to gauge the mjleage?
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The best method I have found to gauge mileage is to fill the tank and calculate your mileage, but this must be done over numerous fill-ups to average out differences in the way you fill the tank. As you say, you don't always fill the tank the same way or at the same gas station.

I use one of my trip odometers to record the mileage for my trip and the second trip odometer to record the miles driven on that tank of gas. I keep a pad of paper in the center console to record the mileages and gallons of fuel purchased. Every so often, I enter these into an Excel spreadsheet which I have set up to calculate mileage for each tank of fuel and overall total average fuel mileage.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting the way that thing works. No MPG under 4???? Reset??? It's on a MH for crying out loud. It's probably not uncommon at all to go below 4 mpg pulling a grade.

Paz, that is surely the "tried and true" method that we have all employed for all time now! It is certainly the cheapest. I guess it is the only way that is under $100.00. I see that a scangaugeII is more toward $150.00. Of course, it has a bit more to offer than fuel mileage. What to do?
Joe
Old 03-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've found it close enough to pen and paper to use as a dependable guide. Besides, your MH is going to get what it's going to get, and you're going to go where you're going to go, so unless you're going through some process to improve your mileage, what's the difference?
Pueblo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pueblo Dave:
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've found it close enough to pen and paper to use as a dependable guide. Besides, your MH is going to get what it's going to get, and you're going to go where you're going to go, so unless you're going through some process to improve your mileage, what's the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ahhhh... the voice of reason. Thanks, I needed that!
Joe
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I check each tank with pencil and paper and keep a cumulative average as well (6.9 mpg for 33,000 miles).
I also use the ScanGauge and it's an average for the days travel so it's pretty close to the hand calculation.

As someone else mentioned a lot of things such as vehicle speed,grade,wind speed and wind direction affect the mpg so multiple tanks are necessary to get any meaningful information.
The ave mpg can be useful to show how your foot affects mpg though.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep track of milage in my log book. It does seem like the dash report runs about 1mpg above my actual.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
It's on a MH for crying out loud. It's probably not uncommon at all to go below 4 mpg pulling a grade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, this computer system was probably designed for GM P/U trucks, if one of them got 4MPG the owner would take it to be shot.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote