Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do I remove my Workhorse Radiator Cap?

I have tried to remove my radiator cap several times now with no success. I can turn it counter clockwise until it releases the initial spring tension but have been unable to turn it further. I push down and turn but it gets caught on something. I do not want to force it in case I damage it somehow.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Knightly

2007 Class A 35' Itasca, W24 workhorse chassis
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I have tried to remove my radiator cap several times now with no success. I can turn it counter clockwise until it releases the initial spring tension but have been unable to turn it further. I push down and turn but it gets caught on something. I do not want to force it in case I damage it somehow.

Knightly

2007 Class A 35' Itasca, W24 workhorse chassis
it was a pita to remove my radiator cap.
make sure the engine is cold.
i turned it as far as i could by hand then used a large channel lock plier to turn it while pushing down on the cap with a 2x4. my dw exercised the pliers while i pushed down with the 2x4.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
This task can be brutal especially with an after market cap like I have. On the RC-33, I did not have so much difficulty however what you need to do is that when you begin your counter clockwise motion that you push down on the cap to clear the dogs on the fill neck. Pushing down as perpendicularly or as square as possible will better disengage the dogs simultaneously. What is happening is that either one or the other dog is still grabbing the cap because the push is not square.

Once you clear the dogs the first thing you do is pick up the cap and look inside the cap and say what in the world?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
paz

DAN L and DriVer are right, pushing down on the cap after it won't turn anymore is the key. I didn't need channel locks, but there is a notch you need to get the cap past, and it's fairly hard to do. As stated, wait 'till the engine is cold.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Snapon makes a tool just to remove a rad. cap. Makes the job very easy. Might try an auto parts store for a different brand.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ended up taking a couple of bolts loose on the air intake bell so I could move it out the way. Then I could get to the cap and push and turn hard enough to take it off with no tools.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hooray-- Job well done
Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I still dread that job

I'm short and have to stand on a stool or short ladder, but when I try to push down, the force goes in the wrong direction

I push my body up instead of the cap down. Now if I could wedge my body some how to keep it from moving, then maybe I could get more downward force.

There has to be a better way

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Big Daddy is right, snap-on has the right tool, I have one an it works great
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just did a search on Snap-On's web site and couldn't locate this radiator cap remover. I wonder if Big Daddy or Tims52Ford could share anymore info about the tool, maybe what it is called or a part #, Thanks.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tims52ford View Post
Big Daddy is right, snap-on has the right tool, I have one an it works great
What is the part number on the tool? Thx.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
What is the part number on the tool? Thx.
Did a "Bing" search on radiator cap removal tool and found one made by Lisle. Part# is (lis20900). If you do a search for this # it will show a picture of the tool and places where you can purchase it.

Tom
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #13

I'm having the same problem with mine. I just purchased the MH and noticed that the coolant level was well below the "minimum cold" mark. Trying to remove the cap was very humbling because I've been fixing my cars and trucks for over 40 years. I didn't want to force it, so did a search on this forum and found someone with the same exact problem. I still haven't managed to get it removed, but at least I know that it's not me doing something wrong. I was wondering if there was air at the top of the radiator tank and if cooling down had put a vacuum on the cap seal.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I was wondering if there was air at the top of the radiator tank and if cooling down had put a vacuum on the cap seal.
Full.Monte, No sir, It's just a CC push and turn. It can be a bear sometimes to get the dogs on the cap to square up on the filler neck and pop off. The key to removing the cap is to apply equal force as you turn. Having a stock air intake in place adds a little difficulty to the task. Once open, the radiator should be completely full.