Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #15

X2, I have read the same about the 8.1 engine. External items like water pump, exhaust manifolds, fan clutch, gaskets, etc. might need attention but these can be addressed relatively easily compared to internal engine components. Nothing against Ford, but back when the 8.1 was available new, and customers could choose between this and a Ford on the same model, they would pay a premium to get the GM/Chev. engine.

We have 100,000 miles on our 454 (7.4L) Vortec engine, and plan for many more. We also put 115,000 miles on an earlier 454 carburated version and only sold it to buy something newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyspang View Post
The original literature I read from workhorse stated that the engine was designed for 200,000 miles before overhaul....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:13 AM   #16

I agree with Tom.
There are so many coaches with 25000 miles that I would never consider one with 70K or more. It's not about whether they are worn out or on their last leg. They are certainly not. But why? Unless the price is so compelling that you can't say no, I prefer less use compared to more. Miles is an overall estimator of wear in other areas. How many times has a greasy butt slid across a couch? How many times have the stairs gone up and down, how many hours on the A/C, etc?
Leardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

We bought our 07 Adventurer with 76k on the clock but she was in immaculate condition and had service records showing when and where she was serviced (including the genset). I like the fact that my rig was consistently used rather than sitting in a storage lot.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 129k miles on my 2006 with a 8.1L. The only repairs/ parts were 2 sets of spark plugs and wires, 3 belts and 2 tensioners, and idler pulleys, new O2 sensors and alot of oil changes, 6 Air filters, 6 fuel filters, a coolant change, and one knock sensor that was giving me an intermittent code. It is an excellent engine, my Allison 6 speed has been perfect, I did change the fluid at 100k even though the book says 125k. But I do change the screw on filter every 12k or every 4th oil change, it only costs $12 and a pint of fluid.

The other important thing on Workhorse chassis is to change ( Flush) your brake fluid every 2 years or your brake calipers could lockup.

I would recommend a Workhorse chassis to anyone looking to buy one.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can't beat the 8.1 chevy and allison trans.. great combination..
I have 149,000 miles and it still runs great... Jack
Old 11-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I have 129k miles on my 2006 with a 8.1L. The only repairs/ parts were 2 sets of spark plugs and wires, 3 belts and 2 tensioners, and idler pulleys, new O2 sensors and alot of oil changes, 6 Air filters, 6 fuel filters, a coolant change, and one knock sensor that was giving me an intermittent code. It is an excellent engine, my Allison 6 speed has been perfect, I did change the fluid at 100k even though the book says 125k. But I do change the screw on filter every 12k or every 4th oil change, it only costs $12 and a pint of fluid.

The other important thing on Workhorse chassis is to change ( Flush) your brake fluid every 2 years or your brake calipers could lockup.

I would recommend a Workhorse chassis to anyone looking to buy one.
Have you ever had to clean your MAF sensor? I noticed you changed you O2 sensors and when I got the CEL code for them the fix was cleaning the MAF.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote