Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was on my way back from a camping , dirt bike, ATV trip today and decided to check out a new to us riding area. Immediately, I realized this was probably a mistake because it was narrow, steep and a rough rocky road. I had to go up 3.7 miles barely walking speed before I could turn around with the trailer.
I realized then that 1st gear was not enough to hold the coach back so I had to ride the brakes the whole way.
This was east of Winter Park going towards Rollins pass.

We made it without a problem tho.
So we went home and got the wifes Suzuki and went to another riding/ camping area to check out above Central City, for future sake.
Altho this road was paved and even where not, it was smooth. But even the Grand Vitara was in 1st sometimes 2nd gear going up and down this pretty long road.
Should this kind of stuff be off limits for a Cl A MH?

Front Range RVer, I know you have a MH and ATV's do you know the roads I'm talking about and have or would you pull your ATV's up and down these monster hills?
On major Hiways they post the % of grade but they generally don't otherwise, I wish they did. A long 7% is tough for the MH and I have a feeling these are alot steeper.

On edit; I meant to post this in the Workhors forum but , it's here. Maybe a mod will move it for me.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was on my way back from a camping , dirt bike, ATV trip today and decided to check out a new to us riding area. Immediately, I realized this was probably a mistake because it was narrow, steep and a rough rocky road. I had to go up 3.7 miles barely walking speed before I could turn around with the trailer.
I realized then that 1st gear was not enough to hold the coach back so I had to ride the brakes the whole way.
This was east of Winter Park going towards Rollins pass.

We made it without a problem tho.
So we went home and got the wifes Suzuki and went to another riding/ camping area to check out above Central City, for future sake.
Altho this road was paved and even where not, it was smooth. But even the Grand Vitara was in 1st sometimes 2nd gear going up and down this pretty long road.
Should this kind of stuff be off limits for a Cl A MH?

Front Range RVer, I know you have a MH and ATV's do you know the roads I'm talking about and have or would you pull your ATV's up and down these monster hills?
On major Hiways they post the % of grade but they generally don't otherwise, I wish they did. A long 7% is tough for the MH and I have a feeling these are alot steeper.

On edit; I meant to post this in the Workhors forum but , it's here. Maybe a mod will move it for me.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are referring to the ROllins Pass Road that connects Rollinsville with Winterpark, I do know the road. It is an old train track bed so not too steep for 4 X 4 vehicles but not good for any MH. When you get to the top there are some tight tunnels that may be off limits now. It has been 15 years since I have been up there and once was enough for me in a 4 wheel drive 4 runner. Some folks get there thrills from roads like this but I treasure my life too much. Try it with your 4 X 4 but leave the MH behind.
You need to get some better maps and study them before you head off for a weekend in Colorado. You could get yourself in real trouble.
Frank O.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to get some better maps and study them before you head off for a weekend in Colorado. You could get yourself in real trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I hear That"
That's why I decided to check out the Central City ride in the SUV.
Not much scarier than losing your brakes on a long down grade , about 10' wide, on the side of a moutain in a MH. I think it could happen.
Back country maps were not written by MH owners, obviously
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #5

If it's the road I'm thinking of, the old railroad right of way from before the Moffat Tunnel existed, you were there in your Motohome? It's not even passable because of tunnel collapses a few years ago (OK maybe 10, it's been a little while). While the railroads had to keep grades to a minumum, the road doesn't follow the former railroad all the way. It can't, the train used some bridges to keep the grades easy, those bridges aren't part of the new "road".

As for your question. Utah's SR-12 is a common road to talk about, there's some grades around 10%. Definitely took 1st gear. Not sure exactly how steep short stretches may have been, or how steep a road would have to be to be unpassable.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ya, it's the Rollins pass, old RR grade to the moffett tunnel but my point was , I was looking for a place to ride the ATV's. However there was'nt even a place to pull over, much less , unload the trailer or even possibly turn around for 3.7 miles.
It was rough as a cob , and no fun in the RV, but altho it was'nt treacherously steep, I still had to ride the brakes, and in 1st gear all the way down and I don't think I'd want to take the mh on any longer or steeper descents.
The Central city one is paved and /or smooth, but is longer and steeper.
I don't think we could ride our brakes too far before we had no brakes.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Max, at those high elevations, your engine probably doesn't have as much decompression because of the thin air. If thin air makes you loose power going up, then you must loose a big percentage of the engine braking power going back down.

If you're at 7-10,000 ft aren't you getting close to where the air density is 50%?
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uh, maybe, but we get so used to thin air that we just think, that's just the way it is.
I do remember when I go to lower elevations the MH is a little snappier, but , oh, the humidity is the trade off.
These big campers sure are nice when you get em there, but there's a lot of places they just can't go.
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
These big campers sure are nice when you get em there, but there's a lot of places they just can't go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Running gasoline helps ... Ethanol is best left in its natural state and consumed at the movies.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Max, we used to take our Jeep over a dirt road from I70 to Central City.. Think it's called " oh my god road".... Steep and lots of sharp curves..
Fun in the jeep and I'll bet a real blast on the bikes..Never want to take a Motorhome on it..
Jack
Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
Hey Max, we used to take our Jeep over a dirt road from I70 to Central City.. Think it's called " oh my god road".... Steep and lots of sharp curves..
Fun in the jeep and I'll bet a real blast on the bikes..Never want to take a Motorhome on it..
Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might be the "Central City Parkway" now. 4 lanes but Still steep. Lots of great riding places in Co. that I can't get the MH any where near
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #12

Still "Oh My God Road". From Idaho Springs to Central City.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote