Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

How to change 8.1 GM engine oil cooling line

Hi folks,
I've been on this site picking up a lot of helpful info over the years from others people's posts, and from my own questions. So I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help us out with our problem.
There was an oil leak on the shop floor that my husband is sure is from the oil cooling lines.
He can do a lot of mechanical stuff, not so much on the computer. He is asking for some information on how to change the engine oil lines on our 2005 National Seabreeze, 8.1 l engine. I tried a few searches but perhaps I didn't use the correct phrases since he didn't see a post which would help him.
We really appreciate any help we can get. I will try to respond in a timely manner to your suggestions or questions.

Irene
Irene Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #2

He needs to verify if it’s engine oil or transmission fluid, and at what point is it leaking from: from the end fittings or due to abrasion that wore a hole in the line.
I don’t recall on our coach, but is the line that is leaking a rubber line with crimp fittings or an all metallic line?

Also - while this thread may not have the specific answers your seeking, it might serve to enlighten - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/can-...es-454116.html
Old 08-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #3

Hello ,
We will check the video link shortly, thanks!
It is an oil leak from the end fitting that goes into the radiator. It is a rubber line with a crimp fitting that is steel.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #4

Hello again,
It was helpful reading the posts through the link you sent us to. Has anyone replaced their own cooling lines?
Old 08-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Z View Post
Hello again,
It was helpful reading the posts through the link you sent us to. Has anyone replaced their own cooling lines?
I have done both the oil and transmission lines on my 2500hd pickup with 8.1 engine and Allison trans. Not terribly hard job but very messy (you cannot completely drain the lines, even if you drain the engine oil pan first). There are metal retaining clips that hold the lines in place at each connection. You can pull them out with a small hook tool. once the little clip is pulled out the hose simply pulls out. Reverse the process the install.

Mine leaked either at the crimped fittings (hose meets metal line) or metal rusted through in places in trans lines.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:32 AM   #6

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Unfortunately, it has been determined that it is not as easy as replacing the connections. It appears to be the cooler(?), which is a much more involved process. He's not sure if he can tackle that job or try to find a garage in our area. We live in southwestern Ontario, near Sarnia. He can still drive safely to a garage.

If anyone can direct us to a service centre that they have used in the past, please pass that along.
Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #7

You will need to find a shop that does truck work and has the space to accommodate a vehicle of the size of your motor home. These shops are usually located on the out skirts of towns and villages in your area. Look for trucks parked on the property.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #8

Call around to heavy truck repair centers to see if they work on Workhorse chassis or know of who used to be a Workhorse shop.

Many heavy truck repair centers had signage indicating they worked on Workhorse and Navistar. Drop by and see if they still do (probably do because once your set up to work on hose rigs, you always work on them, or you go out of business).

Find the local Chevrolet heavy truck service center (Workhorse was a spin-off of Chevy), or the Ford heavy truck service center (Ford had a connection with Navistar and Navistar acquired Workhorse) - those guys can probably give you some direction.

BTW - you might PM Ed Gray here on this board and send him the VIN of your coach to see if the brake recall has been completed. If not, then whoever you find to do the oil cooler repair can do the brake recall, and you really, really, want the brake recall implemented on your coach.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #9

Cooler lines

MrMark52, exrench
Thank you so much for your tips,excellent information.
Also, we did had calipers replaced on a recall in 2018 after a trip to Alaska! But, I will check to see if there are any recalls that have not been serviced.
Great to have such helpful community support.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:10 AM   #10

With what exrench said, the type of trucks you want to look for are compactor type trash trucks, heavy utility (power line) service trucks with service booms, highway construction service trucks etc..
Not so much your big tractor truck type of rigs.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:00 AM   #11

Hello fellow campers! I requested help to resolve an issue with a leak in the engine oil cooler lines in* our 2005 Seabreeze. Upon further investigation it was the part that cools the engine oil that had a leak, not the lines. My husband installed an external oil cooler and rerouted the lines. He fabbed up and installed the bracket to hold this part right behind the front grill. There have been no leaks in the past few days.
We will have a short trip of about 35 miles to our next campground in a few weeks so hopefully all goes well ��.
We appreciate all the help we received. Safe travels and happy camping.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:23 AM   #12

Good for you guys! Thanks for reporting back!

Tags
cooling, engine