Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

How to lower the temperature of my 454

Hello everybody

Anybody has a suggestion how I can ad extra fan to cool my 454.

I tried to avoid driving during the day
But sometimes you do what you got to do 118F

It makes my engine real hot, I do not trust on a gauge showing me just normal 1/4 temperature.

The transmission radiator it's almost 200 F , and I like to add a fan to help cooling the transmission oil.

Question???

That is a way to cool the exhaust manifold I believe is the hoter engine part.

Can you tell me some temperatures numbers and places that I should point my heat gun to double check.

Thank you all to being so helpful!!!

2001 Workhorse Fleetwood flair

Thanks a lot

Dom
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

Get an accurate temp gauge for the water. 200 for trans isnt too hot. Check specs but 235 is probably topped out for trans oil. Chevys are thin wall castings and every so often you get a motor that just cannot be cooled with a reasonable sized radiator. I doubt you got that unlucky and my guess is the truck blocks got sonic checked at the gm plant.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqueb View Post
Hello everybody

Anybody has a suggestion how I can ad extra fan to cool my 454.

I tried to avoid driving during the day

But sometimes you do what you got to do 118F

It makes my engine real hot, I do not trust on a gauge showing me just normal 1/4 temperature.

The transmission radiator it's almost 200 F , and I like to add a fan to help cooling the transmission oil.

Question???

That is a way to cool the exhaust manifold I believe is the hoter engine part.

Can you tell me some temperatures numbers and places that I should point my heat gun to double check.

Thank you all to being so helpful!!!

2001 Workhorse Fleetwood flair

Thanks a lot

Dom

A couple of things
Electric fans on front of radiator
Clean radiator even between the trans cooler and radiator.

Your exhaust manifolds are the hottest not much you can do there unless you had headers and could rap them.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:25 AM   #4

Probably the best place to check would be low on the radiator tank with an IR temp gun. But you really need an accurate coolant reading.

If it is actually overheating a good place to start is the antifreeze level then the fan clutch. Do you hear the fan running when the engine first starts, then quiet down fairly quickly?
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My dash temp gauge has been broken for a while. I use an OBD scan tool and an old phone as my "2nd dash", showing gauges for engine temp or anything else I want to monitor. Then you don't have to wonder what temperature it's really running. If yours is like my 2005, it has 2 electric fans front and center but they may only come on with A/C, not sure if they come on any other time.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #6

The electric fans only come on with the AC.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
A couple of things
Electric fans on front of radiator
Clean radiator even between the trans cooler and radiator.

Your exhaust manifolds are the hottest not much you can do there unless you had headers and could rap them.

Yup, this. You can get aftermarket fans or even upgrade the one you have. Keep the radiator clean.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:16 AM   #8

There are so many things you can do.. but start with proper maintenance.. check between radiator and condenser.. is gets nest and matting dirt in there.. so keep that clean.. next.. as you found.. you need s way to tell what temps are.. dash gauge from factory no good.. so use obd2 scanner with live data to watch.. use something like scan gauge.. easiest.. to keep track.. you can add your own gauges.. too many good vendors but one I use.. is glowshift.com.. for gauges..
Next.. make sure coolant is fresh.. proper strength.. change thermostat to lowest you feel comfortable with.. I run 160 degree.. add good hi quality fan to external trans cooler that came with rv.. next.. change engine fan and fan clutch.. I use derale.com.. for just a few bucks.. you can gen bigger and far better eng fan.. while you are replacing fan clutch.. you will be in there anyway.. change belt .. you can upgrade the water pump.. I like elderbrock hi flow pumps.. now you can do this in steps.. until you are satisfied.. next you can add extra eng and trans oil coolers.. again I use derale.com..
Now for manifolds.. some places offer pre made metal plates that direct cool air toward manifold.. see brazles.com or ultra.. but you can make your own.. or use brake cooling kits.. they make 3in duct hose and many different styles of front bumper scoops to direct air from fiberglass cap to brakes.. but you can move this over to exhaust manifolds.. one on each side.. just Google brake cooling kits.. you will get ideas.. members posted here.. they use Belge. Pumps.. the kind to use on boats with duct work..
So there are a great many things you can do.. members here usually recommend proper maintenance.. next find out proper temps.then you can add or modify until you are happy.. it is your rig.. go for it.. I left out custom radiator.. it should be last.. as long as po never used block sealer in it.. just because that is the most expensive modifications.. custom radiator can set you back 1500 or more.. and that is more than total I listed.. f you are not paying labor..
One thing I forgot.. the cheapest is just slow down.. don't over weight rv..pack as light as you can.. I did forget to mention.. make sure all the rubber air dam over top of radiator is sealed up and in place.. also members post here.. to make your own air scoops under rv and in front of radiator to force more air into radiator..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 AM   #9

First thing is verify that it's actually getting as hot as you think. Your temp sender is probably in the manifold right by the thermostat housing so if you can check there with a heat gun and as Argosy said check at the lower part of the tank.
With your trans temp being around 200 in 118 degree temps doesn't sound like the engine is getting too hot.
If you still think its getting to hot add a pusher fan to the front of the rad. They don't help a lot but it will make a difference.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #10

Does your engine fan work properly . If it is , it should make a lot of noise when it engages . Could be just a worn out fan clutch. I replaced mine with an OEM clutch and it solved my cooling problem.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #11

Get a ScanGauge II or the new III. Plugs into the OBD port and gives actual readings, not the crappy instrument panel gauges.

scangauge.com.

Also, spin your engine cooling fan by hand. Even when cold it shouldn't spin more than about a 1/4 turn. Maybe 1/2 turn. If more, you need a new fan clutch.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:54 PM   #12

Very good point, can you explain a little more how this fan works?

When I start the engine the fan start rotating right away, but it's turning freely by hand with the engine off, it's not supposed to be like that?

When I'm driving I cannot check it what's going on, but I believe is blowing a good amount of air.

Please let me know how I can really check that !!

Thank you for your comment
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't hear a roar of the fan replace the clutch.

Mike
Old 07-29-2022, 09:44 PM   #14

i have owned 454's for well over 40 years and one thing about em is they put off massive amounts of heat.so what you think is overheating is probably normal operating temps.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, temperature