Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HydroMax Power Steering Issue

On our trip back from SD, one morning when pulling away from our overnight stop, I found I had no steering at idle with the brakes applied. I let off the brake and started the coach moving and was able to steer it. I found that when stopped, turning the steering wheel in either direction, it just would not turn and when forcing it, the assist pump motor would come on, but still not allow me to steer. On the highway, all is good. The problem exists only when stopped or at low, parking lot speeds. I've not noticed any braking issues. Brakes appear to operate properly.

Fluid level is good. Mileage is only 26000, and the fluid and filter have not been changed. I plan to change the fluid and filter and see if that makes any difference. I've not had any experience with a HydroMax system, nor a hydroboost system. I'm not finding much on the internet as far as service information and diagnostics. Has anyone else encountered this issue and have any advice? Coach info is in my sig line. TIA.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

There is a link to the hydro-max manual in the ďImportant DiscussionĒ thread located in the sticky section at the top of this forum.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #3

Be sure to give us an update on what you find out.
When you go to change you Power Steering Fluid this video may help.
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #4

I sounds to me.. that the brakes that normally use p/s pump for braking boost.. are now using backup emergency pump.. and that's no good.. you will burn a small motor up in the brake system and loose all brakes.. you are lucky in my opinion so far.. normally the p/s pump powers brakes and steering.. then let's say you loose the belt and p/s goes out.. then a small emergency motor is inside brakes to let you stop.. but it is small.. it would be like the braking reserves you would get in a car.. so get to a shop or home..asap.. if you loose brakes suddenly then pull yellow knob.. and pray.. it's not meant to stop a rolling coach.. so.. 1st.. how old is coach ? Have you ever changed the p/s oil And filter , if it has one ?. Very important what color is p/s oil? Draw some up in turkey baster.. it should be nearly clear.. 2nd could be loose or old belt.. loose or old idler pulley.. or bad p/s pump.. this I why I put an inline cooler on mine.. the p/s pump gets very hot and there is no cooler on one.. many cars and trucks have a oil cooler on the p/s system.. why WH. Left off? I guess cost.. WH.. Pump powers both brakes and p/s.. and keeping the oil cooler should have been a priority.. I my opinion.. p/s pump is nothing more than an oil pump.. and I have seen in the farm . Industry and construction industry, there is usually an inline cooler.. if your p/s pump is bad.. depending on the coach.. it's a big job.. I hope you are safe.. be careful.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Donr103-
Iím sure a cooler is a good idea but I donít think that is what is going to fix this issue. I donít think the aux pump motor is running the brakes. Iím familiar with that sound and Iím not hearing it running except as I noted in my original post. Questions you pose are answered in my original post as well. Thanks.
jt
Old 07-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jt
I would do as you plan, and in addition to new fluid and filter, try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a couple of times while holding the engine RPM at a high idle. This should unseat the pressure relief valve for the steering hydraulics. Sometimes for various reasons the relief valve may be not properly seated, allowing pressure to be partially relieved at lower RPM’s.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks dieselclacker. Iíll give that a shot when I do the fluid change.
jt
Old 07-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I changed the fluid and filter and then did as dieselclacker suggested but no joy. I did confirm that there is no mechanical binding as when wheels are off the ground the steering turns easily regardless of whether engine is running or not. There are no unusual noises. Iím leaning towards faulting the pump. This is a ZF pump and steering gear for which there is no service information other than the parts must be replaced as they are not serviceable. I did try to remove the pressure relief valve (flow control valve) from the pump for inspection but was unable to do so. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Jt
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #9

Another total pump failure.. I bet do to heat.. most members here say it comes out the bottom, but I have 2000 workhorse..no.. had to come it top.. why.. to many line.. you may be able to remove some bracing out of way.. or pull sway bar? One item to pass along.. if you can't get lines off pump.. don't rush to cut them.. they are coach parts.. except rubber return lines.. I am talking about hi pressure lines.... I know some here say workhorse parts.. well not mine.. even after ultra checked vin and sent me wrong hi pressure lines.. then not available any more.. so if lines don't come off pump.. try the other side Line goes to.. then get to bench.. [ but it sounds like you already have hi pressurelines off, if you tried taking hi pressure valve out]..
1st.. next.. you got to flush out all the old stuff.. just use vac pump to suck out while pouring new in.. I had to plug extra return line.. then switch.. so you will go through a lot.. then there is spillage.. and what you will lose until you get lines reconnected.. 1 and 1/2 gallons.. buy by the gallons.... you will do once and never want to go through that again .. you will need new clamps.. so get a few.. best bet.. is have a shop do it.. unless you work on things yourself..wait to you see the price of new pump, then oil, and rest of stuff.. oh.. use hand cleaner on hair.. get a lot of hand cleaner or better yet many shower caps.. keep us posted..

Tags
power, steering