Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Incorrect fuel pump mystery possibly solved

We have a 2002 Dolphin in here which we ordered a new fuel pump using the coach's VIN. The customer complained the gauge was reading wrong & that he could only put 35 or so gallons of fuel in when his gauge was reading in the empty. We have found that this particular coach, was built with a GM fuel tank part# 15030698 & not the Workhorse fuel tank, National possibly did this as a cost cutting decision?? Anyway we should get what we think is the correct fuel pump on friday & I will update the post when we have some more info.

As a side note, this particular Dolphin has a drop down fuel neck & the fuel has to go uphill to get to the tank. Since the filler neck at the tank is NOT directly on top of the tank, as soon as it reached the inlet point it would back up the tube & shut off the fuel fill.

The 25178125 fuel pump is a 40 gallon pump, this does not mean it is only for a 40 gallon tank. A suburban has a 40 gallon tank the some depth as an actual Workhorse tank, but the workhorse tank is much longer and 75 gallon's.

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #2

My Suburban is rated 44 gallons. My coach is rated by Tiffin @ 80 gallons. The last 30 gallons are extremely difficult to put in with a high speed pump. Heaven comes when all the pumps are busy, and the delivery rate is way down!! Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Check your inlet and see if it runs "up hill" to the tank.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

The filler is at the rear of the coach. There is approximately 5 feet of steel filler tubing with a 90 degree radius attached directly to the side of the tank with a short rubber coupling. The remaining three feet to the filler neck is rigid rubber hose. The filler neck has a radius at the bottom the facilitates connection to the rigid hose. The approximately 8 feet of lateral runs tight against the floor of the coach, which allows for pitch to be gainedonly by judging the ground slope at the fuel island. But then, since the inlet on the gas tank is at the forward end, sometimes there is little to gain when worrying about slope. I have often thought of placing the filler on the side in the upper rear wheelspace. What do you think?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

That's not a bad Idea, have you tried raising the jacks to gain a filling advantage?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #6

Thanks!! But as I say, raising the filler only lowers the tank inlet, as the filler is all the way aft but the tank inlet is almost all the way forward. Lesson learned: Don't buy coach with rear fuel filler. There are no jacks on this little 32 footer!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometime ago I pulled my fuel pump to make some WCC suggested changes. I had been looking for a source other than WCC for the fuel pump and found this site. The fuel pump module is exactly the same as the one in my '03 chassis W22 even though it states it's for a 350 engine.

FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY, 81811