Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Info on Workhorse Chassis Needed

Just joined and wondering where to check for outstanding recall on 8.1 workhorse brakes to see if my Winnabago has had it done or is affected. The vin is 5B4MP67G633362653 it is a 2003 Winnabago Adventurer V33. We just bought it March 1 and it only has 35K miles. Less than 5K miles in the last 9 years according to what service records I have.
WhidbeyBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #2

Welcome!! Check with edgray in the Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome forum section.
Several threads devoted to this and is important to know. edgray is an invaluable source of information.
Enjoy your new coach, we love ours!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyBruce View Post
Just joined and wondering where to check for outstanding recall on 8.1 workhorse brakes to see if my Winnabago has had it done or is affected. The vin is 5B4MP67G633362653 it is a 2003 Winnabago Adventurer V33. We just bought it March 1 and it only has 35K miles. Less than 5K miles in the last 9 years according to what service records I have.
WELCOME to iRV2 and the WCC forum
That chassis vin # is for a 2003 model year W-20 (20,700 pounds GVWR) with 19.5" wheels. It had 3 recalls and all 3 were completed. The cluster and the cats were done 5/16/2005 @ 14, 742 miles. The "brake recall", 51101-C, replaced all 4 Bosch caliper on 6/6/2012 @ 32,378 miles. That is the last entry in the warranty database. There were no other recalls.
Safe travels,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

Just recently joined as well. Edgray is there a link to look up recalls? We just purchased a 2004 Fleetwood Terra 32s VIN# 5B4LP57G233371016. The dealers just replaced the brakes and rotors and before we could drive it off the lot the Autopark light would not go off. They are currently diagnosing the issue.

Matt
Mattsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsd View Post
Just recently joined as well. Edgray is there a link to look up recalls? We just purchased a 2004 Fleetwood Terra 32s VIN# 5B4LP57G233371016. The dealers just replaced the brakes and rotors and before we could drive it off the lot the Autopark light would not go off. They are currently diagnosing the issue.

Matt
Matt: you have a 2003 model year P32, with 17,000 GVWR and the J71 AAPB system. The J71 AAPB has nothing to do with the service brakes they "fixed". IF the auto park light is illuminated, they need to fix that before you drive it off the lot. IF driven for long with with the J71 applied, the shoes inside the DS mounted brake drum can be worn down to the point you will have no PB to keep the coach from rolling down a slope. There is NO park pawl in the 4L85-E GM tranny used in the 17K chassis, hence the need for a working AAPB system.

NONE of the P32 chassis used Bosch calipers that were recalled. The 2 recalls that were issued for yours were both completed.

If you want the build sheet and other info, send me an email-it won't display correctly here or as a PM : edgray1@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

2003 Sightseer info needed

Hello All.

I just purchased a 2003 Signtseer 27C with 42,000 miles, VIN 5B4KP57G933368609, without any maintenance history. I've several questions I'd love your help on.

This RV is really, really scary hard to stop with just the brakes; I have to downshift to make that happen. The brakes are not spongy, but solid (the brake pedal does not depress towards the floor).

1. What chassis do I have? A P32, or one of the W numbers?

2. How do I find out if there's been a recall regarding the brakes?

3. What brake fluid is appropriate, since I've seen some conflicting info on this forum?

4. Is it possible the vacuum (or hydraulic) brake booster is shot (if there is one)? How can I determine if it is, or is not, shot?

5. Finally, the odometer was reading black on green, then switched to black on orange, making it impossible to read. How do I go back to black on green?

Thanks so much for your help. (I'm new both to this forum, and to the whole posting thing, as you might guess.)

J
J Bassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bassage View Post
Hello All.

I just purchased a 2003 Signtseer 27C with 42,000 miles, VIN 5B4KP57G933368609, without any maintenance history. I've several questions I'd love your help on.

This RV is really, really scary hard to stop with just the brakes; I have to downshift to make that happen. The brakes are not spongy, but solid (the brake pedal does not depress towards the floor).

1. What chassis do I have? A P32, or one of the W numbers?

2. How do I find out if there's been a recall regarding the brakes?

3. What brake fluid is appropriate, since I've seen some conflicting info on this forum?

4. Is it possible the vacuum (or hydraulic) brake booster is shot (if there is one)? How can I determine if it is, or is not, shot?

5. Finally, the odometer was reading black on green, then switched to black on orange, making it impossible to read. How do I go back to black on green?

Thanks so much for your help. (I'm new both to this forum, and to the whole posting thing, as you might guess.)

J
WELCOME to iRV2.com

1. Yours is a 2003 model year P32 chassis with 15,000 pound GVWR and NO J71 AAPB (that's a good thing).

2. NONE of the P32 chassis were recalled for their brakes, because they did not use Bosch-made calipers.

3. DOT 3 brake fluid is what you should use, and it should be changed every 2-3 years, regardless of mileage. Your spongy brakes are most likely due to air in the system OR you are "boiling" the brake fluid, which creates steam which is compressible, unlike the fluid. At the very least, you need to replace all the brake fluid and have them "bleed" the brakes to get out ALL the air that may be in the system.

4. I can't help you with that one.

5. Your dash cluster was last replaced under warranty on 4/29/2006 @ 11,459 miles. I think you have to keep playing with the little black "buttons" to scroll thru the LCD screen menu. try different combinations of one vs the other and also both simultaneously.

IF you want the "build sheet" send me an email to: edgray1@gmail.com
Old 06-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

2003 Sightseerer

Hello Ed

Thanks for your prompt response ro my plea for help. Yes, of course, please send me a link to the build sheet. Thanks again.

J
J Bassage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags