RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got my recall notice yesterday, and like many others, had the wrong name but the right address. It's easy to say "computer glitch" but in reality it is a human (progammer) glitch. Not a warm feeling. And isn't this recall about a "glitch" in the Actia computers program?

In the service procedure it states "For dealers that do not have the tools, the panel will have to be removed and sent to Actia for the service". In the letter it states that it normally takes 24 hours if the panel has to be sent out. Definately not a warm feeling on 24 hours.

For dealers that have the proper tools it takes less than 30 minutes. Then there is this warning in bold print "(DO NOT interupt wiring and or computer, connectors; Interruption on any of these component will result in I/P cluster to lock up and will need to be replace") The sentence structure is theirs, not mine.

So, if you are at your WCC, no matter how many miles you may have to drive, and there is a "glitch" I guess you are stranded when they have to take out the I/P and send it in. And I am sure (resonably) that there will not be a replacement panel available as a new one would have to have the milage programmed into it and again I'm sure that the WCC will not be able to program milage.

As I said "not a warm feeling

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got my recall notice yesterday, and like many others, had the wrong name but the right address. It's easy to say "computer glitch" but in reality it is a human (progammer) glitch. Not a warm feeling. And isn't this recall about a "glitch" in the Actia computers program?

In the service procedure it states "For dealers that do not have the tools, the panel will have to be removed and sent to Actia for the service". In the letter it states that it normally takes 24 hours if the panel has to be sent out. Definately not a warm feeling on 24 hours.

For dealers that have the proper tools it takes less than 30 minutes. Then there is this warning in bold print "(DO NOT interupt wiring and or computer, connectors; Interruption on any of these component will result in I/P cluster to lock up and will need to be replace") The sentence structure is theirs, not mine.

So, if you are at your WCC, no matter how many miles you may have to drive, and there is a "glitch" I guess you are stranded when they have to take out the I/P and send it in. And I am sure (resonably) that there will not be a replacement panel available as a new one would have to have the milage programmed into it and again I'm sure that the WCC will not be able to program milage.

As I said "not a warm feeling

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
Old 03-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #3

I agree with you Al, not a "warm fuzzy feeling"... And the worst thing about it is that I always seem to experience both apprehension and doubts whenever I have to visit my local "authorized WCC dealer".
They won't adhere to appointment times, refuse to commit to a "get-it-done-by-a-certain-time", and I've seen their tech 'joyriding' in my coach (their "test drive", flying over parking lot speed bumps at 25 mph and slammin' on the brakes). It makes me cringe to think I've got to take my coach back in there now. And frankly, we don't have another option, like an alternate WH dealer nearby.
I'm sure that some people have had positive, rewarding experiences at the WH dealer. I wish I was among them.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
1) I am surprised that WCC sent the full recall doc as most end users don't need that much info to pursue excellence :-)
2) If my WCC dealer does NOT have the update tools I am going to ask why and when. No way am I going let them hold my rig until a rebuilt cluster is sent out when mine is perfect except for the software.
3) The do not interrupt msg.... normal warning. Same thing goes for any firmware update... Computer bios, CD/DVD updates etc.
4) As for tech's joy riding and abusing the rig. I would be all over the Service Mgr's butt like a wet diaper!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to addd in my original post:

My IP was replaced at the end of January (bad readout) so I called workhorse and asked if the panel would have the software update. The answer, "we have no way of knowing, you will have to take it to a wh center". So much for record keeping.

another warm feeling?

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fellow I/P cluster owners,
I have a 2003 WH and I had my cluster replaced the middle of last year for failure of the LCD portion of the panel. After receiving my ABS recall notice (wrong name / right address)I went to where we store the HM for a look around and engine run. Took procedure sheet with me to try their simple test to see if my ABS light comes on. It did! Guess I have the new programing. I'm almost scared to ask my local WH center "what next?" Do you guys think they will need to run this test to certify my coach as to new software? Speaking of "clusters", this whole instrument system is one "big cluster" as we used to say in the service. I love my WH - except for the dash gage cluster problems. I've got a gas gage that reads 3/4 full at 1/4 full. Use my trip odometer as a gas gage. Sure would be nice to just glance at the gas gage, instead of squinting at the trip odometer for gas status. Guess I'll ask about the gage when they finally get my cat/contvers in to replace them.
Happy Camping!

Megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow,
Glad I have a 2001 MACP with the old fashioned "steam guages".
Old 03-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have used both sets of gauges on the 2001 Adventurer and the 2003 Adventurer.

So far so good, no problems with my Actia instrument panel. I prefer the 2003 IP over the 01 analog gauges.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #9

Goin in April 7 they have to ssend it off I know it take several days and not 24 hours I'm just going to live in there parking lot its 200 miles away

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just picked up the mail and I got mine, will call tommorrow and see what the schedule is like. I plann on leaving on 3/20 to go to the FMCA ralley in Perry, GA. Will have to see how long the dealer wants. I just checked WCC and they still only list one Chassis Pro, Certified by them at Lazydays RV---Makes you wonder??? The largest single location RV dealer and only ONE Certified WCC tech. This should be intresting.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Earliest appointment is MAY/3/05
Lazydays is the only Workhorse dealer close by-and they are the largest single location dealer with about 140 service bays.

Maybe Workhorse should have sub-the service out to Camping world, at least we could have more choices.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After I took a trip to P.E.I. July 03, when I had gas gage drop to empty an the chimes come on, I made a check of all my battery an gnd connections an have not had a recurrence of the problem. Will be traveling same route this summer keeping fingers crossed. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #13

Your situation with the gas gage drop to empty and the chimes come on, I have had happen three times over the last two years. Workhorse has checked a number of items; grounds etc including putting in a new fuel pump/gauge unit, but I have had it happen once since then. Would be interested if anyone else has had this problem and could it be related to the recall? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Royza:
.... could it be related to the recall? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No sir that's not within' the scope of the recall.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote