Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #1

I just took my motorhome in for the recall service on the insturment panel and unfortunately my local WH service center just removes the cluster and sends it into Workhorse for repair or replacement. I am not feeling really comfortable about this as I can picture my motorhome sitting over there for several weeks. I received the recall notice that included the instuctions on how to update my panel without removing it by just using my laptop. Does anyone know where to purchase the CAT interface cable to use with my laptop? Any idea of costs for it? The procedure looks pretty simple. What's everyone else's opinion? Would you try it or just let the service center pull my cluster out and let the motorhome sit for several weeks? I am not afraid of fixing things myself, but at the same time I do not want to void my warranty! All opinions appreciated!
Thanks!

Workhorse W20 19.5 tires
Garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #2

I just took my motorhome in for the recall service on the insturment panel and unfortunately my local WH service center just removes the cluster and sends it into Workhorse for repair or replacement. I am not feeling really comfortable about this as I can picture my motorhome sitting over there for several weeks. I received the recall notice that included the instuctions on how to update my panel without removing it by just using my laptop. Does anyone know where to purchase the CAT interface cable to use with my laptop? Any idea of costs for it? The procedure looks pretty simple. What's everyone else's opinion? Would you try it or just let the service center pull my cluster out and let the motorhome sit for several weeks? I am not afraid of fixing things myself, but at the same time I do not want to void my warranty! All opinions appreciated!
Thanks!

Workhorse W20 19.5 tires
Old 03-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not belive there is any way workhorse or actia would sell you the cable, or the program that is probably on a cd rom. In the instructions it says that if there is any "goof" during the re-programming, it would lock up the panel and it would have to be shipped in.

I think this can of worms is going to get much larger before it gets smaller.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to agree with you Al, since getting into this "GOOF-UP" I'am going to sit it out until everyone gets there act together. Can't find anyone around here that understands what has to be done. I wouldn't trust leaving my coach at a dealers for "ONE" day let alone three. ----"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:38 AM   #5

I was just down to have my coach inspected and there were several units having there cluster's replaced or taken out, I asked the Service Manager what was the turn around for getting the reprogramed clusters back in the coaches, he stated that to his suprise that so far all the clusters's he has sent out came back within three days after being shipped out, so if that's true that is a very good turn around rate. Ed.S
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found the same situation at my dealer. There were 5 units awaiting return of the IPs, and the Service Manager said that they were averaging a three day turnaround. I too am waiting for the dust to settle a little before I bring it in.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This News is really encouraging. Different points in the country reporting 3 day turn around for IPs. It would seem that the info I received from WCC is consistent with what is being seen in the field.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #8

My unit was in at the fleetwood dealer for the roof recall, 04 pace, and they took it over to the chevy dealer on a monday. The dealer had the software and laptop and it was back to the fleetwood dealer on wednesday, no problems...
John Scheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #9

Update: I called the Workhorse Service center where I have my Georgie Boy waiting for the recall work to be done and they told me that it now has been 2 weeks since they have sent out the instrument panels on two other motorhomes to Workhorse for repair or replacement and they still have not heard a word on the status of the panels from Workhorse! I told them not to touch mine and I would be there in the morning to get it. Mine has been there a week already and that is enough time for me. I will try again in the fall/winter months and hopefully things will go a little more smoother or at least more organized. One can only hope!

Workhorse W20 19.5 tires
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #10

had the update done three weeks ago and now the whole dash went dead. the repair facilty said it would take three to four days to get a new unit
retired now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #11

I went to ABC Bus Co.in Winter Garden, Fl. They have the laptop and cable, took 1/2 an hour. So far no problems/difference.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just had my IP reflashed at Turning Wheel RV in Ocala, FL. It took all of about a half an hour and that was that.

The IP is working fine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:38 AM   #13

I contacted a local WH Service Center and was told that they would order something and call me when it arrives. (What this is I don't know) They said it was a 1/2 hour task to perform. I will let you know when things happen.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #14

I hate to pop anybodys bubble but like "DriVer" it took me 30 minn.. and i was done, in and out with no appt. and no removal of and box or anything, all this was done at truck country in wausau wi. i sat right in the pass.. seat while the tech done mine i asked a few question, and he was nice enuff to answer all of them i had, the biggest thing i found out is that workhorse sent them a dell laptop and all the cables to do this upgrade, and the upgrade program is the only thing that was on the laptop. nice dell!!!so to the person wanting to do it them selfs good luck and i hope workhorse sends you the stuff!!!
N9UOM is offline   Reply With Quote