Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Intermittent change in steering play, floating feeling.

This has happened a handful of times, regardless of speed lowest was about 40mph, always on a straight run.

The steering feels like it gained several inches of play for maybe 5-10 seconds and then its back to normal. During 2 hours of driving it might happen once.

I thought maybe it was an overreaction to drifting to the side but it literally has a huge amount of play and then has a normal response if you ride it out.

I just can't imagine what can be lose and then tight within a matter of seconds.

This is a stock W22 22.5" chassis. We have no complaints about the overall handling or ride of the chassis. We have driven 28ft box trucks and understand the nature of the beast. Not afraid to be blown by semis, its not that bad once you relax.

So it is not a reaction or expectation of the chassis to not be a box truck chassis. Honestly been really impressed. Don't really understand the push to get it to be something its not... a diesel with air ride.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got the same year chassis and it's never done that over the past 80,000 miles.

I've not read of that problem either and I'd be concerned about losing control.

Hopefully someone will come on here with a solution but if it was mine I'd have it in my Workhorse dealer's shop pronto.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Did you check for recalls on the steering someone posted something about recall a few months back . You may what to check under the Workhorse forum as well
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
This has happened a handful of times, regardless of speed lowest was about 40mph, always on a straight run.

The steering feels like it gained several inches of play for maybe 5-10 seconds and then its back to normal. During 2 hours of driving it might happen once.

I thought maybe it was an overreaction to drifting to the side but it literally has a huge amount of play and then has a normal response if you ride it out.

I just can't imagine what can be lose and then tight within a matter of seconds.

This is a stock W22 22.5" chassis. We have no complaints about the overall handling or ride of the chassis. We have driven 28ft box trucks and understand the nature of the beast. Not afraid to be blown by semis, its not that bad once you relax.

So it is not a reaction or expectation of the chassis to not be a box truck chassis. Honestly been really impressed. Don't really understand the push to get it to be something its not... a diesel with air ride.
If this happened to me, once would have been enough but twice would have been too much.
Don't guess or ask questions. Get this unit to a qualified chassis service center and get it checked right now.
Something is definitely wrong.
Lynn
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If this happened to me, once would have been enough but twice would have been too much.
Don't guess or ask questions. Get this unit to a qualified chassis service center and get it checked right now.
Something is definitely wrong.
Lynn
Been to two mechs, haven’t been able to duplicate it or find anything worn. Its frustrating cause it could be mechanical, hydraulic or electrical. Where do you start throwing parts.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you sure it's not the road crown and wind messing you up. I've had a couple of occasions where my steering seemed loose with a poor road and a gusty cross wind.
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

If you use a process of elimination you would conclude there is nothing electrical connected into the Power steering except possibly a pressure switch which would not affect steering play at highway speeds.
If it was hydraulic the steering effort would be increased or the PS would not be assisted at all.
I would hedge my bet on a faulty steering gear IF the unit was jacked up and checked for loose or binding steering joints or suspension ball joints and no faults were detected. Whoever checks this should check carefully for secure suspension to chassis mounting points.
There is a series of steel and plastic recirculating balls in the steering gear worm drive. If a plastic ball was damaged in some way it could cause the situation you have described. There is also a torsion bar in the worm drive which can be damaged. This bar senses torque you apply when turning right or left and directs the fluid flow within the gear box to aid in turning ease. I have seen these bars get bent slightly from contacting curbs slightly but enough to bleed pressure into the port feeding the gear in either a right or left assist which will cause a pull in the steering.
Know the qualifications of your mechanics before you trust them to diagnose the problem. Don't let them just start throwing parts at it and hope they hit the solution.
Tell the shop you are willing to pay to have the steering fixed but you don't expect to pay for unnecessary parts while they try to figure out the problem.
Lynn
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimblerotor View Post
Are you sure it's not the road crown and wind messing you up. I've had a couple of occasions where my steering seemed loose with a poor road and a gusty cross wind.
This is entirely possible. It hasn’t happened while I drove it. I have watched it being a passenger. It drifts then the amount of correction is exaggerated by about 2 inches and it continues for 3-4 seconds and then is normal.

It sort of reminds me of when I ran bias tires with radial on my ‘77 class C until I replaced the rear axle and could run all radials.

Tags
steering