Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just returned from having the opportunity to travel up to Goshen, IN. Goshen is located close to Elkhart, IN and half the fun was getting there and back. After some 1680 miles my enthusiasm for wanting to get on the road and make some miles hasn't diminished one bit. My motorhome continuously impresses me and my opinion that my motorhome is running better now than ever before continues to be validated.

Traveling from the beach to Indiana is really no major feat however you do get the opportunity to travel through the middle of the Jefferson National Forest on Interstate 77. The Interstate winds its way up and across a 3300 foot high passage via 2 tunnels across Appalachian Mountains.

It doesn't take thousands more feet and miles to realize the performance that is delivered by my chassis in its current configuration. Using the stock gauges gives the driver little if any information about what's happening under the dog house other than an indication that nothing is going wrong.

I have been running a Scan Gauge II for some time now and it certainly gives the driver a lot more feedback about how well that Vortec is doing.

On I-77 there are a few 5% grades that run in between 5 to 7 miles and although the grades are not as severe as we see in the West, these grades will try your equipment.

Negotiating a 5% grade took me down to 3rd gear which its supposed to do however processes were occurring under the dog house that continue to impress me.

The speed limit on this stretch of road is 70 MPH but I don't see anyone traveling at that speed unless you're in a car. Since fuel remains close to $3 a gallon moderating ones speed helps the bottom line for a small investment in time.

Cruising straight and level, I'm trying to run about 2100 RPM and this works out to about 57~58 MPH or so. Traveling Ohio the speed limit there is 55 for vehicles of 4 tons or more unloaded.

Approaching a 5% grade I choose to manually turn off the OD bringing me down to 4th and I lightly got on the throttle early in order to get my energy up. Although the 8.1L pulled with authority in 4th gear as it established itself on the grade before too much further a 4 to 3 downshift was needed to maintain a speed slightly below 60 MPH.

Once the motorhome shifted down to 3rd gear and into its power band, that's when some noteworthy numbers came to my attention. While initially climbing the auxiliary fans had not come on-line and I was observing the F?WT parameter when I saw the numbers increment upward past 225 to 227?. Shortly there after the auxiliary fans spooled up to high speed and the main engine fan clutched up and also came on-line.

What I observed on the SGII display that you don't see on the IP's temperature gauge is that although the engine was continuously pulling at close to 4000 RPM, the temperature was coming down and continued to come down while powering up the grade observing a temperature of 217 F?WT at the crest of the grade.

As a side benefit while the fans were were spooled up to practically maximum cooling efficiency the air conditioner was providing cool air at acceptable levels. On my dash mounted temperature display, I was observing an outside temperature in the upper 80 degree range to the low to 90s.

Continuing to climb the grade it doesn't take long to catch up to and pass a number of 18 wheelers who are stuck in a low gear and constant RPM. As I'm climbing the grade, I am observing the digital tachometer readout in the SGII increment upward resulting in an increase of speed.

So, I'm normally loaded, towing a 3700 toad, climbing a grade at between 4000 and 4200 RPM, enjoying cold air from the dash registers, watching the F?WT decrease while watching the RPM and speed increase. At some 59,000 miles this ol' horse has got a lot of pull in it and it keeps impressing me every time I go out.

On a somewhat more mundane traveling profile in cruise at or about 2000 RPM and 54~55 MPH I was indicating 8.4 MPG. Paper and pencil method yielded 7.8 MPG which is totally acceptable and within my expectations for this type of gas powered 38 foot long motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just returned from having the opportunity to travel up to Goshen, IN. Goshen is located close to Elkhart, IN and half the fun was getting there and back. After some 1680 miles my enthusiasm for wanting to get on the road and make some miles hasn't diminished one bit. My motorhome continuously impresses me and my opinion that my motorhome is running better now than ever before continues to be validated.

Traveling from the beach to Indiana is really no major feat however you do get the opportunity to travel through the middle of the Jefferson National Forest on Interstate 77. The Interstate winds its way up and across a 3300 foot high passage via 2 tunnels across Appalachian Mountains.

It doesn't take thousands more feet and miles to realize the performance that is delivered by my chassis in its current configuration. Using the stock gauges gives the driver little if any information about what's happening under the dog house other than an indication that nothing is going wrong.

I have been running a Scan Gauge II for some time now and it certainly gives the driver a lot more feedback about how well that Vortec is doing.

On I-77 there are a few 5% grades that run in between 5 to 7 miles and although the grades are not as severe as we see in the West, these grades will try your equipment.

Negotiating a 5% grade took me down to 3rd gear which its supposed to do however processes were occurring under the dog house that continue to impress me.

The speed limit on this stretch of road is 70 MPH but I don't see anyone traveling at that speed unless you're in a car. Since fuel remains close to $3 a gallon moderating ones speed helps the bottom line for a small investment in time.

Cruising straight and level, I'm trying to run about 2100 RPM and this works out to about 57~58 MPH or so. Traveling Ohio the speed limit there is 55 for vehicles of 4 tons or more unloaded.

Approaching a 5% grade I choose to manually turn off the OD bringing me down to 4th and I lightly got on the throttle early in order to get my energy up. Although the 8.1L pulled with authority in 4th gear as it established itself on the grade before too much further a 4 to 3 downshift was needed to maintain a speed slightly below 60 MPH.

Once the motorhome shifted down to 3rd gear and into its power band, that's when some noteworthy numbers came to my attention. While initially climbing the auxiliary fans had not come on-line and I was observing the F?WT parameter when I saw the numbers increment upward past 225 to 227?. Shortly there after the auxiliary fans spooled up to high speed and the main engine fan clutched up and also came on-line.

What I observed on the SGII display that you don't see on the IP's temperature gauge is that although the engine was continuously pulling at close to 4000 RPM, the temperature was coming down and continued to come down while powering up the grade observing a temperature of 217 F?WT at the crest of the grade.

As a side benefit while the fans were were spooled up to practically maximum cooling efficiency the air conditioner was providing cool air at acceptable levels. On my dash mounted temperature display, I was observing an outside temperature in the upper 80 degree range to the low to 90s.

Continuing to climb the grade it doesn't take long to catch up to and pass a number of 18 wheelers who are stuck in a low gear and constant RPM. As I'm climbing the grade, I am observing the digital tachometer readout in the SGII increment upward resulting in an increase of speed.

So, I'm normally loaded, towing a 3700 toad, climbing a grade at between 4000 and 4200 RPM, enjoying cold air from the dash registers, watching the F?WT decrease while watching the RPM and speed increase. At some 59,000 miles this ol' horse has got a lot of pull in it and it keeps impressing me every time I go out.

On a somewhat more mundane traveling profile in cruise at or about 2000 RPM and 54~55 MPH I was indicating 8.4 MPG. Paper and pencil method yielded 7.8 MPG which is totally acceptable and within my expectations for this type of gas powered 38 foot long motorhome.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing. Now come on out West and lets try some real hills. I'll show you a 14% grade I pulled in Arizona towing my Jeep that really got my attention.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Davis:
Thanks for sharing. Now come on out West and lets try some real hills. I'll show you a 14% grade I pulled in Arizona towing my Jeep that really got my attention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I pulled the Blue Diamond Highway West out to Pahrump, NV and that got my attention however that was "before" my current running profile.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DriVer;

I find about the same results as you do. I have a SGII also and find my true numbers using a pencil to be about 7.5 - 7.8. I find my best mpg to be about 60 mph and goes down the faster I travel. I feel like you as I am sure impressed with my Workhorse. I have no desire to have anything else.

When I went to Hemet last March I found I was passing 18 wheelers going up the mountain grades. I sure appreciate the performance I have achieved with my UP Upgrades.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Welcome Home. I personally do not like to run I 77. The motor home runs well on the grades, but I do not like the road. Personal preference.

Call you Monday AM, Junior's
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
Call you Monday AM, Junior's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds good I have to go to Kroger anyway. They have a sale on Deer Park.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver for that encouraging story

I hope my upcoming trip to Galcier NP is as pleasurable.

My last three Summer trips; one to the Grand Canyon, one to Yellowstone, and last years trip up to Shenandoah and Blue Ridge Parkway were great even with a few kinks.

I have one question? Why do you run with the dash air?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> enjoying cold air from the dash registers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I observed on the SGII display that you don't see on the IP's temperature gauge is that although the engine was continuously pulling at close to 4000 RPM, the temperature was coming down and continued to come down while powering up the grade observing a temperature of 117 F?WT at the crest of the grade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Driver, is that a typo, sounds pretty chilly..On edit, It thought at first you had switched to "C", but after running it thru a chart,( never can remember the conversion ) I see thats not it, so Im guessing 217..if you meant 217, that's a pretty good cooling response. I am leaving Tucson Tuesday on an extended trip, that this year will include several pretty steep chugs. Im anxious to see how everything goes. I have an "AirForce" installed, and will be glad to have some accurate, "RealTime", "unfiltered, undampened", numbers to chew on.. rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron & Dee:
I have one question? Why do you run with the dash air? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron, Because the engine was designed to provide its power while the air conditioning is running.

I have not been able to say that running w/o dash A/C would improve anything. If you run with the coach air that will consume approximately .9 GPH.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Driver, is that a typo, sounds pretty chilly..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rgr, Those are all Fahrenheit degrees. Running in cruise I typically see 215? to 220? temperatures. AND "Yes" now I see what you're talking about. Oops

Yet another good reason when you pull into a rest stop/ fuel station after a hard run to allow your engine to idle down before shutting down.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Good report DriVer! I experience about the same results while climbing except I like to keep it under 3800RPMs. I always wondered what the temp was doing during these climbs. Hearing the fans come up to speed and back down to idle while climbing with AC on, I had a feeling the WT dropped quickly with the fans on. You confirmed this for me. Thanks.
I Also did the Blue Diamond Hwy to Pahrump and was wondering why the motorhome seemed to struggle a bit more than in the past. I then looked at my mountain directory and found it was a 7% grade. And a long one at that. The ol' Workhorse didn't flinch a bit though.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I then looked at my mountain directory and found it was a 7% grade. And a long one at that.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Going West out from Las Vegas the grade surprised me since it practically came at me from around a corner. I was conserving speed and energy while looking and enjoying the red rocks. When I hit the grade I had no way near enough energy to climb at an efficient rate of speed but I did manage to make it up to the top at 27 MPH in second gear at about 3800+ RPM.

My running profile at the time was that I was completely stock. Approaching the same grade today I would be a lot more into the throttle before negotiating that climb. I can confidently share with you that I would surely be able to power up the grade at a much better rate of speed given the mods I have onboard.

While in Pahrump we stayed at Terribles. What an oasis in the middle of the desert. One could practically compare it to a Shangri-La given the conditions surrounding the park.

East bound back to Vegas - totally different running profile. I let Colleen drive the car and I departed solo. Knowing the route I got on the throttle early however I simply breezed back up to the crest of that 160 before I started my descent wondering what happened to me now and what happened earlier.

The fact is that the grade eastbound is no where near as steep as it is coming in from the west. Somewhat disappointed at the lack of challenge I hooked up the car once down on the grade approaching Vegas.

We continued our trip in to Vegas and stayed at Oasis LV RV Park.