Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

King Pin/Tie Rod Bar Replacement

Coach is a 2004 W-20 with 43k miles on it.
Just bought the coach August 2020 I decided before the travel season starts I should get the front end aligned. I am not sure if it had ever been done. So I took it to a Truck Tire Place that does alignments and was told it needed the King Pins replaced and also the Tie Rod "Bar" needed replacing also. Plus he said that the Steering Box needs to be looked it because it moves on the frame when steering? I am going to a different truck repair shop in Monday and have them look at it

Opinions wanted cost etc........
Thanks LeeB........ Merry Christmas... And a much better New Year...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Good idea. Sounds like a lot for only 43k miles, so a second opinion makes sense.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

Second Opinion. YOUTUBE the issues that you may have and see what
you might learn. It has helped me on a good number of issues on
our coach.
Good luck.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
Second Opinion. YOUTUBE the issues that you may have and see what
you might learn. It has helped me on a good number of issues on
our coach.
Good luck.
JimB

Thanks I am getting better at using YouTube sometimes it goes off subject and I get distracted and loose my place but I am going to keep at it.

I have not found a video that is Workhorse specific but I now have a general idea.
LeeB
Old 12-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

King pins need regular greasing and if not done, they can wear out quickly.

If your getting a second opinion or using the shop that says they are bad, have them show you.

Up and down movement should be less the 1/16". Excessive up and down is a bad thrust bearings.

Excess movement on the bushings, like a bad door hinge is another indication.

The steering box need a to be re-bolted or drilled out oversize if worn to much.

Tie rod ends are replaceable. Could be the drag link that's worn. Some have non-replaceable ends.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
King pins need regular greasing and if not done, they can wear out quickly.

Bitter cold here (for Central Valley Calif) Foggy damp and 37* so I ain't crawling under my MH. But I suspect greasing or non-greasing could be the culprit. I just bought the MH in August and I am finding that there is a lack of Maintenance.

If your getting a second opinion or using the shop that says they are bad, have them show you.
Up and down movement should be less the 1/16". Excessive up and down is a bad thrust bearings.

Excess movement on the bushings, like a bad door hinge is another indication.
I am assuming the MH has to jacked up a little to be able to see movement?
The steering box need a to be re-bolted or drilled out oversize if worn to much.
This I will have to find out more information.

Tie rod ends are replaceable. Could be the drag link that's worn. Some have non-replaceable ends.
The person inspecting said the Tie Rod "BAR" needed replacing.

Sad to say but the more I think about it I do not think that the person inspecting the front end was qualified or just didn't want to do the work because of the cold he is very young (Late 20's) and he never moved my MH just crawled under. It is a Tire Shop and they have a rack in fact I was parked right in front of it.

My second opinion place is a regular truck maintenance shop that I have used before.

LeeB
Old 12-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Sad to say but the more I think about it I do not think that the person inspecting the front end was qualified or just didn't want to do the work because of the cold he is very young (Late 20's) and he never moved my MH just crawled under. It is a Tire Shop and they have a rack in fact I was parked right in front of it.

My second opinion place is a regular truck maintenance shop that I have used before.

LeeB
You can't check king pins without jacking the wheel up. Besides, to most young mechanics, king pins are a foreign object.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can't check king pins without jacking the wheel up. Besides, to most young mechanics, king pins are a foreign object.

That's actually kinda what I figured. I wish I would have watched the YouTube videos BEFORE I went to the front end aligned...

Thanks again

Tags
ace, replace, replacement