Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

Does anyone know what the factory spec resistance reading is for the knock sensor? I have a 2002 W-22. I am reading about 100K ohms from the center connector to ground with it still on the vehicle. The wire to ground is about 4800 ohms with ignition off. I was told I had a bad sensor on the left bank but both sides read the same. Wireman
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,

If rain goes away tomorrow I will check mine.

mike
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Steve,
The knock sensor should be between 93-107K ohms resistance. Do you have a trouble code indicating a bad sensor? Or are you hearing a ping? Check the torque setting, they should be between 11-14 ft lbs (no sealant or pipe thread tape)
Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #4

Steve Brazel, I'm the guy whose motorhome you did the diagnostic test at Quartzsite. You recommended replacing the left bank knock sensor. Just for the heck of it I decided to take a resistance reading and compare it to the right bank sensor before I spent 50-60 bucks on a new one. Both read right at 100K ohms.It looks like they are both good.I also found 1 nut missing on the right header pipe flange and the pipe was pretty loose. Fixed that. The left side also needed tighting.That may have caused a bad o2 sensor reading that you said I had.Going to give it a run and see if I notice any differance. I also have a Scan Gauge II I bought from Kieth at RT.If the knock sensors are OK what should the MAX timing advance I should get.I think I'm getting about 41 degrees at 3000 RPM.sitting in the driveway, not on the road. Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Steve,
Sorry I didn't recognize you...never got your name! Timing advance will vary depending on RPM
and load, 41 degrees with no load at 3000 RPM is normal. With the exhaust leak it will slew the computer to go rich, thinking it is running lean. Installing the bolt and tightening the exhaust should bring the readings back to normal.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Steve,
A couple more things I forgot to mention in my previous post. While you're at it set your DMM on the 400mv AC hertz scale and tap on the engine block near the knock sensor and see if you get a frequency reading. Also, make sure the torque setting is correct, I find that many times they are over-torqued. BTW, the reason I recommended replacing your knock sensor is that you had a stored trouble code saying it was out of range.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

Steve, Is that done with the wire removed and test leads from the knock sensor pin to ground?With the resistance reading the same on both sides is it possible for the left sensor to be good even though it had a out of range code? Would I see another code on the the scan gauge since I asume you cleared when you ran the test? I'll probably just go ahead and replace it. Since I have been laid off for 6 months i'm just trying to watch my nickel & dimes but I sure don't whant to risk any damage. If it is out of range will the timing advance be retarded all the time? Also, what would the maximun timing advance I should see on the Scan Gauge under heavy load at say 4500 rpm? Thanks Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Steve,
I didn't clear the code and yes, unplug the sensor and test from the center plug on the sensor to ground. The timing will vary depending on load and rpm, at 4500rpm heavy load, you should see somewhere between 8 and 12 degrees of advance.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

Alternator excited
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman2112 View Post
Alternator excited
That's a good start.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On my last motor home which was a workhorse W22 I got a warning light and it read knock sensor, I bought two new ones and installed them, I still got a red light. Traced the problem to a wire which had got against the manifold and had burnt the insulation from a section of it and was shorting. Re positioned the wire and repaired it and it solved the problem
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

I replaced my knock sensor about 3 months ago. The good measured 100k ohms the bad one measured 116k ohms.
My problem was when the the engine water temp got up to approx 207 degrees by my scan gauge I would get a slight miss. Going up a hill the miss was worse. My normal run temp on level ground is approx 197 degrees f.

Al DeV
2002 32h Bounder
Torrance Ca.
aldevinaspre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
knock sensor light- right bank

I had this for several years---

Finally, after trying a gas octane increase, new plugs and wires, and a new knock sensor (two times), I replaced the knock sensor wire to the knock sensor.

No more issues for over 4 years. I also fabricated a small asbestos heat shield cocoon that is "plastic tie wrapped" over the sensor and it's connecting wire. This sensor sits real close to the exhaust manifold and I feel the high heat environment "toasted" the sensor wire.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #14

It's good to have information for future or now use.
In case you didn't notice the original post is over 8 years old. Some times I miss that. But like I say, all info is good any time.
Thank you.
edge68474 is online now   Reply With Quote