Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Koni Shocks for W20?

We have a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 35N on a 2005 W20 chassis with 63,000 miles. Thinking about changing the shocks (4) to the Koni FSD shocks.

Do you think these Koni shocks will improve the ride?

How about the sway when you cross a speed bump at an angle at slow speed?

Are these shocks adjustable? If so what setting to start with?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

laplatarosa
laplatarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They do improve the ride. They are not adjustable.
AFAIK they can be "adjusted" if you had specific corner weights and axle weights. But that requires you removing them & sending them back to Koni to make said adjustments.
Did this with a set of bilsteins.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The Koni FSD is self adjusting, FSD stands for " frequency selected dampening"
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

I had them installed in Florida in March and as soon as we left the dealership my DW said I can already tell the difference in the ride. Money well spent!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Wink Echo that "money well spent"

Had Bilstens on a W22 with 25K on it. Replaced with Koni's. Noticed pitch and dip was less on the grooved freeway, but the biggest improvement for me was a big reduction in road noise transmitted to the driving area. Couldn't hardly hear my wife before, now I hear her all the time. Always a trade-off.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I've had Koni's on my W22 for 70K miles. These shocks are very good at absorbing the thump-thump-thump that you get on the concrete expansion joints and less jarring on potholes. My thought from the beginning is the extra you pay for FSD's will be more than made up by less you'll spend fixing things that shake apart in the coach.

Happy trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

I put Koni FSDs on my 2005 W-22 and the improvement in ride was outstanding. I highly recommend these shocks. I'm not sure how much that they will improve the wallow that you are describing going over the speed bumps. I think that you would need improved stabilizer bars for that.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplatarosa View Post
We have a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 35N on a 2005 W20 chassis with 63,000 miles. Thinking about changing the shocks (4) to the Koni FSD shocks.

my koni's are working very well on my w 20.

Do you think these Koni shocks will improve the ride?

How about the sway when you cross a speed bump at an angle at slow speed?

Are these shocks adjustable? If so what setting to start with?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

laplatarosa
this ''improved'' site is a pita for sure
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Defiantly worth the money, one of the best improvements I've done.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel like I'm jumping on the Koni bandwagon here, but we have gone through three sets of shocks over the years. The factory shocks were terrible. Workhorse replaced them with Monroe shocks. They worked great initially, but wore out after short time on the road. We have had the Konis on for 4+ years and are happy with the performance.

The Konis do have a stiffer feel than the Monroes. The Koni ride is much, much more controlled, but if you are looking for that soft "Cadillac" ride, the Konis are not it.

That being said, I now find myself very comfortable behind the wheel where I can cruise down the road with one hand on the steering wheel. This was never possible with the Monroes, even when new.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed Koni FSD shocks on my 2004 Sightseer 35N W20 chassis and they have a much rougher ride than the OEM Monroe shocks that come on it new. I wished I had gone with new Monroes but after putting them on I put up with them. They were especially bad on roads with a lot of separators. On a couple of roads I had to slow down to 35 mph to preserve my eye teeth.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #12

I just installed the FSRs on my 30' 1996 Rexhall.
It eliminated the proposing, but did nothing for the road noise and jarring like everyone had said.
I am disappointed. I expected more out of a $720 investment.
Don't believe the hype.
AUGEDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGEDAWG View Post
Don't believe the hype.
I tend to agree. I think the Konis have been hyped beyond what is reasonable to expect from a shock absorber. We are driving a huge, heavy box on a truck chassis so it will not ride and handle like a sedan.

However, on our Brave, the additions of the Konis along with a rear track bar transformed a white knuckle thrill ride into an experience where I can easily drive hundreds of miles a day with little to no fatigue. This alone makes the Konis worth every penny to me.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #14

Based on what I had read on this site, this spring I replaced the Bilstens with Koni FSD shocks. I have notice no difference in noise heard or shock felt in the motorhome caused by bumps or seams in the road. I was disappointed.

There may be a slight improvement in the reduction of motorhome sway when exiting a driveway.

Later I made a tremendous improvement in the noise level by doing three things:
1. While traveling, the screen on the passenger window is stored in the rear of the MH.
2. The microwave mounting bolts were tightened.
3. The light fixture over the dinette table was replaced.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks