Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last Year For Workhorse

Question:
What was the last model year in which the Workhorse Chassis was manufactured?

And what was the highest rated GVWR which Workhorse built?

Thanks!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
What was the last model year in which the Workhorse Chassis was manufactured?
Depends on the chassis. Pretty sure the P32 stopped in 2005, but some of the W-series continued past the Navistar acquisition maybe as late as 2012.

Quote:
And what was the highest rated GVWR which Workhorse built?
My guess W24.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #3

2009 model year.

W25 (25,500 GVWR) In the front engine models.
R26 (26,000 GVWR) In rear engine gas.
R32 (32,000 GVWR) In rear engine diesel.

W24 was probably the most common though, not a lot of the W25's or rear engine models built.

Workhorse Chassis Guide

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

Was the R32 diesel ever built, I know it was announced, but I don't know that it ever went into production.

Note the R26 is often referred to as the UFO chassis (Universal Fuel Option), as it was intended to be offered in both gas and diesel, though the diesel never really came to fruition, if any were actually built, chances are they are true orphans with few if any parts available.

p.s. it looks like both were built, just very rare
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Was the R32 diesel ever built, I know it was announced, but I don't know that it ever went into production.

Note the R26 is often referred to as the UFO chassis (Universal Fuel Option), as it was intended to be offered in both gas and diesel, though the diesel never really came to fruition, if any were actually built, chances are they are true orphans with few if any parts available.
p.s. it looks like both were built, just very rare

The R 32 series was offered in 3 different GVWR ratings, and YES they built several hundred of them. WBGO was the largest buyer, but there are a few other brands running around on them, such as Georgie Boy, SportsCoach Cross Country (I think) and also Rexhall built more than a few called RoseAire (I think).

When the R-series DP chassis was introduced, FCCC immediately went to WBGO and signed them to an exclusive DP Class A chassis suppier contract and Spartan did the same at Newmar. The Spartan exclusivity only lasted a few years, but the FCCC deal is still in place at WBGO, AFAIK.

The R26, "UFO" was indeed initially promoted as either gas or diesel, but the diesel version was never produced beyond prototypes for testing purposes. The biggest issue was that the diesels were too tall and did not allow for the "other" marketing claim of Universal Floorplan Option, which really did provide a totally flat floor from stem to stern.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
2009 model year.

W25 (25,500 GVWR) In the front engine models.
R26 (26,000 GVWR) In rear engine gas.
R32 (32,000 GVWR) In rear engine diesel.

W24 was probably the most common though, not a lot of the W25's or rear engine models built.

Workhorse Chassis Guide

There are some WCC front engine gas and Diesel class A chassis out there that were considered 2011 model year, and "maybe" even a few W-xxD chassis that were sold as 2012 model year. This is possible because their next model year began when the UAW workers returned from the 4th of July holiday each year. IOW, a chassis built after July 10th (for example) would be sold as the next calendar year model.

Navistar "mothballed" the WCC subsidary in late 2012, and many good people lost their jobs in Union City, IN.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

2011 was the last model year for RV chassis but they still produced W42 and W62 commercial step van chassis into the 2012 model year.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW!

What a "plethora" of information!
Thanks to each of you for sharing!

I am currently reading through the "Workhorse Chassis Guide"! 202 pages! No manufacturer has available that much information in "ONE PLACE"!

I had a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire on a W-22 chassis, and was always impressed with it. The 8.1 was a great engine (biased as I worked for a GM Dealer for 40 years )

I now have a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star on a 2019 Ford F-53, 26,000 GVW chassis; to which I've made quite a number of chassis & engine performance improvements! Thanks to Jon Brazel

Ed Gray & Jon Brazel seem to be the Workhorse "go to guys"; you Workhorse owners should be thankful for the resources!

Enough "blather"! Back to reading the chassis manual! Though, I'm not sure why; curiousity, maybe!

A great thread!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The brain trust here might be able to answer this question. Was a version of the 18,000GVWR P32 made by WCC ever produced by GM? Reason I ask is I can't seem to cross a number of WCC parts back to GM equivalents, which seem confined to 14,000GVWR or less rear drum brake "P30" step vans, mostly.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Products View Post
2011 was the last model year for RV chassis but they still produced W42 and W62 commercial step van chassis into the 2012 model year.
As usual, Jon is correct. For those who may want to decifer their vin #, it is the 10th position that is code for the model year. For example:

Model year 2009 will have a "9" in the tenth position, 2010 will be an "A", and 2011 will be a "B". There are NO Workhorse RV chassis with a "C" .
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
The brain trust here might be able to answer this question. Was a version of the 18,000GVWR P32 made by WCC ever produced by GM? Reason I ask is I can't seem to cross a number of WCC parts back to GM equivalents, which seem confined to 14,000GVWR or less rear drum brake "P30" step vans, mostly.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I don't think so, mainly because the "wide track" models, which included the higher GVWRs were a WCC innovation.

However, GM did experiment with a rear gas "pusher" variation that MAY have offered an 18K GVWR, IRDK. I can't remember the model designation for that chassis at the moment. I have read that some of its features led to the W-series that WCC introduced as their 2001 model year offerings.

Tags
workhorse