Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

Leaking exhaust gasket - any fix short of replacing ??

2007 w24.

a very small leak on driver side rear that is blowing some hot air onto spark plug wire and making boot brittle just discovered and likely a long time issue0 - a small amt of hardening of boot on plug next to it.

a slight sound diff from passenger side, not loud at all mostly just a diff sound.

the noise, would not be noticed if not really listening, so a small leak.

honestly have not found the actual 'hole' visually hard to get to tried a camera to take photo0, but if can be found and accessed, is there something that can be done to 'plug' it ?

was thinking of small pieces of metal in conjunction with asbestos/heat rope/cloth but if the metal not shoved in and holding cloth will certainly not last and be blown out - just trying to delay replacement.

just seems so hard to get to and so hard to remove if any of the exhaust bolts are rusted on, even the head shield could be nearly impossible to remove - seems a real PIA for a diy job.

any guidance is appreciated.

as always would be pretty easy on a pickup but 10x worse due to little access on mh of course.
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be worried about exhaust heat erosion. When the engine is working hard I would bet there is fire coming out.
It is a tossup where the erosion takes place on the head or the manifold.
Myself I would repair it.
The exhaust system removes heat from the engine. And to do it job correctly there should be no leaks.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:40 AM   #3

Purchase a designated length of the following sheath and then cut from it equal lengths for each wire. Remove the boot and wrap the sheath & hold in place (flush with end of boot) when replacing the boot back onto the plug.

The following sheaths are already cut to certain length. Purchase of the product can be made for 1 yard or more than cut to your length. It's also sized accordingly in diameter as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010409
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:03 AM   #4

thanks for suggestion but have already bought some maybe better than those - https://www.ebay.com/itm/383287768321

got new wires and new 'fake' iridium 41-101 plugs, so need time.

those you linked are like what is already on the wires, seem just a single layer, those ref above are much thicker and longer, will add to the back 2 wires before driving again, eventually will add to all cylinders, now it seems rain everyday so hard to have much time to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Purchase a designated length of the following sheath and then cut from it equal lengths for each wire. Remove the boot and wrap the sheath & hold in place (flush with end of boot) when replacing the boot back onto the plug.

The following sheaths are already cut to certain length. Purchase of the product can be made for 1 yard or more than cut to your length. It's also sized accordingly in diameter as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010409
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:13 AM   #5

Fix it correctly, it can affect your fuel mixture and lead to bigger issues. IMO any simple external patch won’t last. When climbing a hill, these manifolds glow red. When I did mine, I replaced the crappy GM studs and nuts with stainless ARP exhaust studs. They are designed for this type of abuse. Never had a problem again.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
thanks for suggestion but have already bought some maybe better than those - https://www.ebay.com/itm/383287768321

got new wires and new 'fake' iridium 41-101 plugs, so need time.

those you linked are like what is already on the wires, seem just a single layer, those ref above are much thicker and longer, will add to the back 2 wires before driving again, eventually will add to all cylinders, now it seems rain everyday so hard to have much time to get it done.
What you are proposing equates to putting a Band-Aid on a broken arm. Find the source of the leak and repair it properly before it gets worse. If you have a leak around the manifold where it bolts to the cylinder head it will eventually burn a spot in the cylinder head and you'll be in for a really extensive and expensive repair. Once the leak becomes bad enough you will see the check engine lamp come on because the exhaust flow isn't correct passing by the upstream oxygen sensor.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #7

Exhaust Leak

I am going through this same issue as I write this reply.

Mine is a 2001 P32 chassis, 8.1l motor.

The job has been tedious but not overly difficult. Once you get the front tire off and remove any heat shields, you have really good access to the exhaust manifolds.
Use lots of Penetrating Oil and prepare for possible broken studs. I was able to remove all of the studs without issue but did break two heat shield bolts which I drilled out and re-tapped.
My manifolds were warped causing multiple leaks and burning up even the most expensive wire sets.
I had the manifolds machined flat and will be re-installing today.

I know your post is a few months old so I hope you found a solution. If not, good luck with whatever yo choose to do.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #8

While adding insulation to boots is good.. and may get you by .. all the ones I used state will not last if exhaust is leaking. Because exhaust acts like a blow torch and will burn a hole through it fast..

Sorry.. just have to round up some help and jack up, use all safety precautions... pull tires and change out manifold... as all great advice above.. the blow torch will just burn through anything.. including the head..then real fun starts.. sorry.. good luck and keep us posted...
I am next at this job.. and it scares the you know what out of me.. I just get mad when exhaust bolts break.. EPA.. made manufacturer go to cats.. then made them use SS because cats burn though regular steel.. but manufacturer cheaped out and use regular steel bolts.. that way.. bolts rust out.. dealers get big bucks for repair and part suppliers get the replacement business.. oh boy.. if they would have just used SS Bolts to begin with.. maybe even some antiseeze.. that would even been nice
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. please get back to us.. because I am next.. and anything you learn and post will help me.. please, please get back to us
Old 09-19-2021, 06:19 AM   #9

I replaced my studs with ARP stainless exhaust studs installed with anti-seize. They still looked like new when I traded the coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:29 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ive got a drivers side exhaust pipe where it hooks to the exhaust manifold not loose but I can move it a little. And yes, I tried to tighten them but I was afraid of breaking them off. It doesn't leak exhaust yet. I have read that someone stated to leave it alone, was it made this way? Our 2002 Dolphin #6355 has 4100 miles on it. Our first big trip is this fall. We have owned it for 1 1/2 years.
Home Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Builder View Post
Ive got a drivers side exhaust pipe where it hooks to the exhaust manifold not loose but I can move it a little. And yes, I tried to tighten them but I was afraid of breaking them off. It doesn't leak exhaust yet. I have read that someone stated to leave it alone, was it made this way? Our 2002 Dolphin #6355 has 4100 miles on it. Our first big trip is this fall. We have owned it for 1 1/2 years.
If what you have is like mine, the collector is attached to the manifold with three studs that have a stiff spring and nut on each stud. The springs allow the motor to be somewhat independent of the exhaust system and vice a versa while still maintaining a seal. It came from the factory with this type of connection. Inside that collection point is a donut shaped ring that is your gasket, which is a readily available part and does fail after time.
I would agree with others. If it isn’t leaking, leave it alone. But if you feel the need to address it before your trip, it is an easy fix. Use plenty of penetrating oil and allow it time to do its thing. Then unbolt, replace the donut and reinstall the nuts and springs.
Hope this answers your question.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is leaking, you need to get it repaired with a new gasket before it can erode the manifold or the head and then you have major damage.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, gas, gasket, leak