Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #1

Leaking Oil From Below Motorhome Help?

Hi all, I'm brand new to RVing and looking for a little guidance. Last weekend, I purchased a 32 foot 1997 Winnebago Adventurer with the Chevy Chevy chassis.

This morning I woke up and had oil underneath the motorhome near the center front of the vehicle. Can anyone tell me what the oil is leaking out of and what would cause this? I have a service appointment coming up on July 9th but hoping to take our new motorhome this weekend on a small getaway (about 80 miles round trip).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture of leak.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	650.0 KB
ID:	291703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	291704  

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	291705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	291706  

aaron_malo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2! There is a great bunch of people here to help you with your problem.

A couple of questions. Can you tell if it's motor oil or transmission fluid? Motor oil will be thicker and transmission fluid is normally a reddish color. If it's motor oil it could be something as simple as an oil filter not secure or more serious like a rear seal leaking. If it's TF then it could be a seal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Thank you for your help. It was black oil so must be motor oil.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

The oils is running out of your parking brake on the rear of the transmission.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level and color ?

Also Chevy the power steering fluid. Some GM RVs use that to work the parking brake.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Welcome to iRV2.

The pictures you've posted are of the park bake drum on the rear of the transmission , best guess is that the rear trans seal is leaking and picking up the black color from the brake shoes inside the drum.

Check the trans fluid level often and don't trust the park brake to hold the RV in place when parked on any slope . Chock the wheels .
Carry some kitty litter to soak up the oil from the ground.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #6

@LT Dan @twinboat @ Skip426
I really appreciate your guidance on this. I'm going to go check the transmission fluids now. I hope this isn't a costly fix. I have an appointment to get the RV serviced knowing I just bought it. Do you think it would be safe to drive this weekend if I check the oils? Only going 80 total miles...
Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #7

Question .
Did you inspect the underneath of the RV before purchase ?
If there was no sign of a leak before purchase , and you've found this leak now , with limited driving , I'd be very worried about a trip.

If you hadn't inspected the trans fluid before purchase , and find that now it's not the bright red color it should be ( any sign of brown in the fluid could mean failure is possible ) . The leaking seal could easily blow completely when the trans comes up to operating temp, and loose enough fluid to damage the trans and leave you stranded.

Sorry to say , but it'd be best to have the leak repaired before driving any distance.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #8

I dabbed the ground where the leaked fluid is and it is definitely pink not black. I also checked the radiator fluid and it appears to be good in color (see attached images). The coolant overlow tank appears to be low but that might be common. I checked the dipstick and it appears to be filled to the proper amount. I checked it cold, not sure if that would make a difference.

I did check the fluids before purchasing and they seemed to be in good shape. I should have checked better. Young and dumb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leakage on ground - Transmission Fluid.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	291719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	291720  

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	291721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission color from dipstick.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	291722  

Old 07-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

A quick search resulted in a scanned copy of the owners manual for a chevy "P" chassis. It may be a couple years older, latest date listed in the manual is 1994, but should still apply to the standard things. It won't tell you how to fix the seal, but it does have the proper method to check the fluids. Get it before it goes. Since the parking break is cable actuated, the only source of the fluid is the transmission. Transmission fluid has a distinct smell. Sniff the dipstick when checking the fluid the correct way, and then smell the oil that is leaking for similarity.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...98glzrkTkdaNop
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

First, make sure the transmission has not been overfilled. Read the manual to find the correct way to check the level. If it's OK...

Not a difficult fix if it's the seal. Remove the drive shaft, remove the parking brake drum, take the Big Nut off the output shaft, remove the splined yoke, remove the seal. Replace in reverse order. (I might have missed something. Service manual went with the old coach. But this is pretty close.) A slide hammer can really help with seal removal. A seal driver for installation is nice, but you can do it one side then the other with a block of wood and a mallet.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #11

Thank you everyone who shared their advice on my issue. To take time out of your day to help someone you don’t know is very selfless.

My neighbor who’s a mechanic came over and checked it out and found out it was the passenger side hydraulic jack that’s leaking fluid. Not good but so relieved it’s not a larger engine issue.

I hope one day I’m knowledgeable enough to help someone in my position.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 AM   #12

Aaron

"I hope one day I’m knowledgeable enough to help someone in my position."

You already have... the follow-up post is not only a welcome closure to those who took the time to respond but can help others reading along or who search in the future.

Welcome to RVing and iRV2!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
Commercial Member

i dont know everything, i do know who to ask.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #14

I appreciate the answer. I was kind of thinking it didn't look like a transmission leak to me. But it never occurred to me that (just like on my coach) there's a big hydraulic jack RIGHT THERE. Duh. But anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, motor, motorhome